Wal-Mart vs Target

I'm in a suburb close to Chicago. Grocery stores are everywhere and extremely competitive. As a frugal guy, I'm just naturally motivated to take advantage of that. We get a "shoppers newspaper" which includes flyers from most of the stores in the mail on Wednesdays. By skimming the flyers and being willing to shop 4 - 5 stores, I seldom buy groceries that aren't on sale, frequently deep sales.
to beating the deals I can get by shopping the loss leaders at several independent or chain groceries. WM and Target have overall good prices but few really deep discounted sales.

Hope you're are smart shopper and really check out those flyers. We have an Albertson's that's always running the "buy one get one free". They always say how much you are saving but most of the time it's what I get it for at WalMart anyway. Same for Winn Dixie. Not saying they don't offer some good deals but most of the time it's just a come-on.

How does what you wear affect your ability to go grocery shopping? I sometimes go to Wal-mart after work with my jeans that have holes in them and have "dirty knees". Does that mean i'm not allowed to shop for groceries? Do I need to go home first, take a shower, and put on a shirt and tie to go grocery shopping?
Don't shoot the innovator! I'm only providing an answer to the mentioned objection to having to rub elbows with the hoi polloi when in Walmart.

We don't have any of those super walmarts or super targets, so food has to be bought at a grocery store.

What's your zipcode again? I'll see if I can fix this problem. ;)

I swear...maybe I don't get out much, but it seems to me the Wal-Mart stores I have been in over the past few years all smell like popcorn, old weiners and feet....:sick:

I'm sorry, but I'm not limber enough to smell my own feet. I take it you mean extra, super duper stinky feet that probably has some kind of fungal infection? Hm...I wonder what that smells like combined with popcorn.

I'm sorry, but I'm not limber enough to smell my own feet. I take it you mean extra, super duper stinky feet that probably has some kind of fungal infection? Hm...I wonder what that smells like combined with popcorn.

Cheese corn?

How does what you wear affect your ability to go grocery shopping? I sometimes go to Wal-mart after work with my jeans that have holes in them and have "dirty knees". Does that mean i'm not allowed to shop for groceries? Do I need to go home first, take a shower, and put on a shirt and tie to go grocery shopping?

...it all depends on what you are trying to pick up at the store.

Women may be the only thing you don't want to pick up while at Walmart...

When I saw a head of iceberg lettuce go to $2.99 a few months ago, I said forget it. I'll be growing my own very soon...it's Spring! :clap:

Yesterday, I picked some up for .50 a head. My blood pressure came down some ;) Good luck with the garden. Its rewarding to grow your own food.

Hope you're are smart shopper and really check out those flyers. We have an Albertson's that's always running the "buy one get one free". They always say how much you are saving but most of the time it's what I get it for at WalMart anyway. Same for Winn Dixie. Not saying they don't offer some good deals but most of the time it's just a come-on.

Not to fear..... ;) I've been doing our grocery and booze shopping for decades and have always been interested in prices, marketing schemes and that sort of thing. I know what most of the items we normally buy have cost historically and have no problem dealing with 2 for 1, half off or other come-on's.

Sale shopping is especially effective for easy to store items with long shelf lives. Example: I pick up paper products (TP, tissue, paper towels) as loss leaders at considerable savings over what I can get them for at Costco, Sam's, WM or Target. But you need to have the space to stock up because you may not see that low price again for a while. If you run low before the next deep sale, you just pick up a small supply at WM.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom