Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-21-2021, 04:55 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Why? Every house I've owned has the laundry/utility room behind the kitchen. There are lots of pro's, such as having a space for a pantry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Looking at that plan, I'd be more bothered about having to haul the dirty laundry through the kitchen than having to walk through the bathroom to the closet.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2021, 05:24 PM   #22

I don't want to have to walk through the bathroom to get to the closet.

I don't want my clothes that close to the bathroom.

I like to take the clothes out of the closet and lay them on the bed/ and then change my mind a few times.

I want to change in the bedroom, not in the bathroom or in a closet.

Nor do I want to be disturbed if I want to take a long bath due to the need to access the closet.
Old 03-21-2021, 05:34 PM   #23

I don't know, the idea is growing on me. I already use one of my bathroom drawers for undies, so the basics are taken care of before after a shower. And there have been times when I realize the bedroom door is open and someone has come over and now I've got to quickly dash across the bedroom to get dressed.

A one-stop-shop of bathroom and shower suite, as designed isn't a terrible idea. Shower, step into closet, dress, all done, no back and forth across the bedroom, less chance for clothes to get strewn around. And it's the master, so it's on the couple who would disturb one another, not random other household members coming thru. The bathroom would have to have very good ventilation though to avoid moisture getting trapped in the closet area.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 05:58 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

I'd rather have the bathroom after the closet. If so the closet would also act as a noise buffer if someone is using the bathroom when someone is sleeping. But that's just preference and at least the toilet room has a door.

I'd push the laundry area all the way to the outside wall which would give enough room to have both a laundry plus a half bath. You'd lose a deep closet but could offset most of the loss by adding usable space across the entire back of the closet.

19 x 19 is a tiny double garage.

I think the entry area is a bit tight, looks to be about 4' x 6" and nowhere for guests to hang a coat?
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 06:05 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

My first reaction is that I don't like that floorplan at all, but you know what? I think I'd get used to it in about a week and it wouldn't be a problem at all.

Living alone I don't have to be concerned about barging in on someone showering.
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 06:12 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

I wouldn't mind walking through the closet to get to the bathroom, but not vice versa.
There are 2 other floor plans that flip the bathroom and closet. Rockford and Lewes I, maybe look at them? Of course they are probably more expensive since I can see the garage dimensions are bigger also.
Morgan22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 06:14 PM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.

It's a fairly common style in some 55+ community new builds. I have attached a listing in a Florida Del Webb community, and picture #20 shows you how it looks in this home. It works fine, and provides more wall space in the master bedroom. Does not seem to be a big deal to many folks because these homes are being sold really quickly.

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...7_M50204-63469
Old 03-21-2021, 06:18 PM   #28

It wouldn’t bother me. The sink area is also a shower, not a tub. Therefore, the shower probably has a nice glass door, hopefully frosted. Walking through that area to my closet would be okay. I don’t think I would have designed it that way, but the OP is not the designer.

I will echo the smallness of the garage. My first house, when I knew nothing, had a two car garage. That’s all I asked for. It was about the same size. Might have been 20x20. You will not get two cars in there. Especially if one is an SUV. Though as a retiree, you may only have one car in which case it would be fine. I had a small bench (work space) and a lawn mower, snow blower, etc and no way to get all that in there with two cars. Though even empty, two small cars would be a challenge.
Old 03-21-2021, 06:30 PM   #29
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
the shower probably has a nice glass door, hopefully frosted.
Frosted glass on shower enclosures doesn't seem to be a thing anymore. It's not in those photos either. Hotels no longer do it and I don't think I've seen it in a single newer home I've been in. Makes no sense to me at all. Apparently the powers that be have decided that showering is no longer something to be done in private.
disneysteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 06:32 PM   #30

I'm with you, OP. Don't care for that, and also the huge hallway effect of the master bedroom. The door should not be in the farthest corner, I would have it so I could go into the master suite and to the bathroom without walking the length of the house, twice!
skyking1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 06:35 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneysteve View Post
Frosted glass on shower enclosures doesn't seem to be a thing anymore. It's not in those photos either. Hotels no longer do it and I don't think I've seen it in a single newer home I've been in. Makes no sense to me at all. Apparently the powers that be have decided that showering is no longer something to be done in private.
I wouldn’t do it in that layout, but in our shower, we just use a curtain. It was set up when we rehab’d the house to have a glass door. However, we put up a cloth shower curtain until we could get the door installed and never looked back. We actually like the curtain. It cleans just by throwing it in the wash, you can’t see through it, but that’s not really an issue in a stand alone bathroom and, it doesn’t take up any space for the door swing.
Old 03-21-2021, 06:46 PM   #32

My fabric shower curtain and the liner are a pain to clean. To get out mold stains you need a firm backing for scrubbing before you use a bleach solution.

But without frosted glass, I think I'd choose a curtain. I suspect frosted glass shower doors will never go away. At the very least there should be a frosted plastic sticker for them.
Boho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 06:49 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boho View Post
I suspect frosted glass shower doors will never go away.
I would have thought the same thing but I haven't seen a newer house or hotel with anything but clear glass for quite a few years.
disneysteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 06:51 PM   #34

We ended up ditching the frosted doors for a curtain. If the curtain starts to get shabby; we get another curtain. We're high rollers that way.
Old 03-21-2021, 07:05 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarieIG View Post
We ended up ditching the frosted doors for a curtain. If the curtain starts to get shabby; we get another curtain. We're high rollers that way.
That’s what we thought we’d do, but I just put it in the washer on the sanitizer setting with some bleach and it comes out looking like new. Maybe it’s the type of fabric. I don’t know what it is, but I would suspect that a polyester would be easier to clean than cotton.

Anyway, if it did get shabby, I’d be like Marie and just get a new one. The one we have is going on four years now and it’s fine. We started with a vinyl one and those are just nasty. It didn’t last 6 months.
Old 03-21-2021, 07:08 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

What a weird idea. Make your clothes smell of feces.

Not gonna buy any place that puts my clothes in the fecal zone.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 07:12 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarieIG View Post
Blow that dough!

I had one house with the closet at the back of the bathroom. Didn't hate it, but not crazy about it. OP should probably go with their instincts that they wouldn't like it.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 07:15 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by retire-early View Post
I am looking at floorplans for new construction.
The floorplans all require walking through the bathroom to get to the closet.
All of the floor plans are like this.
This is a home in a 55+ community.

My parents' homes and my current home isn't like this.

My first thought is that I don't like it.

Is there a reason for designing a house like this?
In larger houses with a "master suite" it is common to have master bath and walk-in closets together behind a door. Though in my floorplan the closet(s) are before the WC/bath/vanities. Someone upthread mentioned bath on on side and walk-ins on the other side of the bedroom - yuk. Who wants the person getting up at zero-dark-thirty for work to have to go back and forth through the bedroom getting showered/shaved-dressed while spouse is still in bed?

OTOH, for retirees anything goes

"All models are wrong, some are useful." - George Box
There is always a well-known solution to every human problem: neat, plausible, and wrong.” - H.L. Mencken
USGrant1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 07:18 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneysteve View Post
I would have thought the same thing but I haven't seen a newer house or hotel with anything but clear glass for quite a few years.
We’ve had clear glass in our last two houses. With hot water, they get steamed up quickly, so functionally not much different than frosted. I think they look better as well.

Our last home had the closet attached to the bath. Our current one has a small vestibule(?) and in one direction is the bath and the other the closet. I like both layouts a lot, but both closets are quite large. Large enough to get dressed in easily without being uncomfortable.

What I haven’t liked is both floor plans have no door closing off the bath/closet space. So when DH gets up early there’s always noise/light. I used to get up at 4 and it definitely impacted his sleep. I usually sleep through it, but it would be nice to have some way to close off the space.
tb001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 07:21 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Your bathroom is inside the house? Wow!