Join Early Retirement Today

Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps
Old 09-24-2010, 02:44 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

It is worth your time - the first adult movie of the season.
It is good to check up on the gang and if you know about the debt crisis you can follow it.

The one thing that was distracting is that Jake and Winnie looked like teenagers who stumbled into an adult's party - they didn't fit in. They really lacked 'gravitas' compared to the other actors.

Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps (2010)
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2010, 03:01 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I had heard this was being released today. I plan to see it in the next couple of weeks. I think Michael Douglas is a good actor.
WhoDaresWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 01:25 AM   #3

I can't wait to see this movie.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 08:15 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I would also add that the main contribution of the female lead was to be able to cry on cue. I think a strong female lead might have added another dimension to the movie.
Old 09-25-2010, 08:58 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I've got to see this one too, it's been a long bad-movie summer. So sad to see Buddy Boy on TV with Letterman pretending he doesn't know what stage 4 means.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 09:33 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post
I've got to see this one too, it's been a long bad-movie summer. So sad to see Buddy Boy on TV with Letterman pretending he doesn't know what stage 4 means.

Isn't that called "denial," CuppaJoe? Probably the only way he can cope with the news would be my guess.
Old 09-26-2010, 09:19 AM   #7

[QUOTE=dex;981544]Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps

"It is good to check up on the gang and if you know about the debt crisis you can follow it. "

That's my main complaint about the movie: will Mr. Average Joe get it?
However, I thought Michael Douglas was just about so subtle an actor you could have in this role. Really excellent peformance I thought.

Tend to agree that "something" about the two younger actors really bothered me about them, but still can't put my finger on what it was. Maybe it is that they looked so darn young, but, then again, they are supposed to be very young. Maybe that was Oliver Stone's take on it that they are shockingly innocent looking compared to Michael Douglas who they shot so every single wrinkle and line showed in every frame?
Old 09-26-2010, 09:48 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

[QUOTE=Orchidflower;981990]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dex View Post
Tend to agree that "something" about the two younger actors really bothered me about them, but still can't put my finger on what it was.
I'd be interested in others take on that aspect.
Old 09-26-2010, 11:20 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Anyone who thinks "Money Never Sleeps" obviously has nothing in a money market account.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 03:03 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Anyone who thinks "Money Never Sleeps" obviously has nothing in a money market account.
Mine is in a coma...
Old 09-26-2010, 10:03 PM   #11

[QUOTE=dex;981995]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post

I'd be interested in others take on that aspect.
I thought the 2 young actors were both sort of from the "Ben Affleck" school of non-acting. But Michael Douglas and James Brolin were superb. This movie flew by.
John Galt III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 10:05 PM   #12

I think I will have to see this movie.
powerplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 03:03 AM   #13

This has only just opened in HK. I persuaded my firm to book the whole cinema and invite a bunch of banking clients so I get to see it for free.

My suggestion that we tell the bankers that the movie is a documentary was not well received.
Old 09-27-2010, 06:16 PM   #14

I wondered who this Shia LaBouef that played the young man in the movie was. Check this interesting background out that's nothing if not colorful:

Shia LaBeouf - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 09-27-2010, 06:49 PM   #15

Not as good as the Original

The movie had a moderately good opening weekend with a $19M take.

Reviews of the movie are tepid. The rating website "rottenTomatoes" gives it a 55 score which is just OK.

Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps Movie Reviews, Pictures - Rotten Tomatoes

<From the rottenTomatoes website>
Quote:
It's more entertaining than many sequels, but with Oliver Stone directing, a terrific cast, and a timely storyline that picks up where the original left off, Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps should be better.
Quote:
It’s not a convincing family drama or rise-and-fall story, the redemption is forced, the plot twists are painfully obvious, its sluggish and preachy, offers no real insight into the current financial collapse, and worst of all--it’s dreadfully boring
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 06:52 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterBlaster View Post
The movie had a moderately good opening weekend with a $19M take.

Reviews of the movie are tepid. The rating website "rottenTomatoes" gives it a 55 score which is just OK.

<From the rottenTomatoes website>
The more I think about the movie the more of a disappointment it seems. It could have been the "Bonfire of the Vanities" (the book) for the past 10 years. But it just turned into a battle egos.
Old 09-27-2010, 08:16 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
I wondered who this Shia LaBouef that played the young man in the movie was. Check this interesting background out that's nothing if not colorful:

Shia LaBeouf - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I've been seeing him in things for over a decade. He was a young heart throb for my (now 25 y.o.) DD on TV, and seems to be in half the movies I've seen recently. I think he's the new Indiana Jones, assuming they keep making the movies. It may be a coincidence, and he just gets parts in the crappy movies I like, but I've seen him in Disturbia, Indiana Jones, Eagle Eye, the Transformer movies (which truly sucked ), and Constantine. I'm not saying he's a great actor by any stretch, but he appears to be here to stay.
Old 09-28-2010, 07:46 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
But it just turned into a battle egos.
Seems pretty realistic to me...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 03:33 AM   #19

I saw this movie last weekend with a friend. We enjoyed it, a very good movie.

Quote:

It is worth your time - the first adult movie of the season.
It is good to check up on the gang and if you know about the debt crisis you can follow it.

The one thing that was distracting is that Jake and Winnie looked like teenagers who stumbled into an adult's party - they didn't fit in. They really lacked 'gravitas' compared to the other actors.

Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps (2010)
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 06:35 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Mine is in a coma...
I think dead and decomposing is more accurate.
BunsGettingFirm is offline   Reply With Quote