Join Early Retirement Today

Walmart Associate Delivery
Old 06-03-2017, 06:35 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Walmart Associate Delivery

So, would you be okay with Walmart employees delivering stuff to your place? Might be happening.

Quote:
Walmart announced on Thursday (June 1) that they will begin testing associate delivery.

This announcement comes during a Role of Digital at Walmart meeting during Walmart Shareholders Week.

The new delivery system will get online orders to customers’ doors using Walmart associates.

Walmart said the test program will cut shipping costs and get the packages to their destinations faster. President and CEO of Walmart E-Commerce Marc Lore said this program is optional for the associates.
“Imagine hundreds of associates they live all around different neighborhoods around the Walmart,” he said. “We take the packages and say okay this associate lives over here and they’re going to drive this way. Here’s one one along the route.”
Walmart To Begin Testing Associate Delivery | Fox 59

Of course, this is Walmart's play to compete with Amazon which probably is a good thing for consumers.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2017, 06:43 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

What I'm concerned about are the employees...are they REALLY wanting to take a bunch of packages around ay the end of their work day? Why doesn't Walmart hire some folks to just deliver? I think they don't want to spend money on hiring and try to use what they got. That works for resources, but not always for people.
AutumnElf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 06:46 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
So, would you be okay with Walmart employees delivering stuff to your place? Might be happening.
I certainly have no qualms with a Walmart employee dropping off a package I ordered
btdt22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 06:47 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I would not be OK if they were not paid for it, but if paid, why not? Amazon uses Dynamex in our area for this, and usually it is just some guy or gal in a personal car that comes and delivers. This would essentially be the same.

BTW, I was wondering if they would be paid and what the other parameters were. Well this Washington Post article confirms they would be paid and it is currently voluntary. Slightly ironic I could only find this information at the WP, which is an Amazon owned source.

Edit: Maybe not so ironic since WP article brings up all the negatives, of course.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 06:48 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutumnElf View Post
What I'm concerned about are the employees...are they REALLY wanting to take a bunch of packages around ay the end of their work day? Why doesn't Walmart hire some folks to just deliver? I think they don't want to spend money on hiring and try to use what they got. That works for resources, but not always for people.
My concern too, however as of now, it is voluntary and they get paid for it. I'm betting a lot of them will be happy to take the extra cash for a small detour home.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 07:16 AM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

"This isn’t the first time Walmart has enlisted others to deliver its goods. Four years ago, executives told Reuters they were toying with the idea of having customers deliver packages to online shoppers in exchange for a discount."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...rainbow&wpmm=1

Oh please! Not by this Walmart customer!

people-of-walmart-video.jpg
candrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 07:29 AM   #7

That would alleviate having to stand around waiting while they search the closet for my store pick up item... I've used ship to store a bunch to save on shipping cost of low value orders and every time the associate was unable to find the item in a reasonable time. One time they never found it. So having it dropped off sounds great. Probably not free, but maybe cheaper than UPS or USPS though.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 07:36 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
My concern too, however as of now, it is voluntary and they get paid for it. I'm betting a lot of them will be happy to take the extra cash for a small detour home.
+1
As of now, I see it as a win, win. The employee gets a little extra money to make a minor detour when he was just going home without pay anyway and the employer saves a little money on delivery. Seems like a good idea to me.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 07:38 AM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I saw that article and laughed. With all of Walmart's size and financial strength, they have never figured out how to effectively compete against Amazon. Walmart is running their company in the stone ages while Amazon is constantly innovating like a young startup tech company. Unless they change out the entire Walmart executive team, I don't see this ever changing.
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 07:49 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

For me, guess that depends on which local Walmart. By me, the closest one is more on the run down side and I avoid going there. Doesn't help that they pretty much accused me shoplifting as I was exiting and another time called a manager as I was making a purchase. From that store, I'd pass on the employee deliveries. But if a local was a nice, clean Supercenter Walmart. I'd be fine.
Old 06-03-2017, 09:21 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

The first time a customer is assaulted, robbed, or by the Walmart employer that will be the end of this silly idea.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 09:27 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

It's hard for me to imagine them finding a house, even with GPS (will Walmart give them each a GPS unit?). I can see a lot of lost packages. And can they become Teamsters?
Old 06-03-2017, 09:27 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
The first time a customer is assaulted, robbed, or by the Walmart employer that will be the end of this silly idea.
UPS, FED X, USPS still exist. Their employees don't assault or rob the people they deliver packages to, why would Walmart employees be any different.
Old 06-03-2017, 09:30 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
It's hard for me to imagine them finding a house, even with GPS (will Walmart give them each a GPS unit?). I can see a lot of lost packages. And can they become Teamsters?
I would imagine most Walmart employees have a smart phone with Googlemaps which should allow them to find any house they need to find.
Old 06-03-2017, 09:31 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Another problem is getting what you ordered...

We ordered a Crock Pot for our DS to take to college... we did the pick up at the store options since DW did not want to take a chance...

Well, we go to pick it up and guess what? Their pick up group had left early for the day... we were there maybe 5 minutes before they were supposed to close... OK, no big deal, we will just get it and pay for it here... NOPE, cannot do that...

We then find out that they did not even have it in stock like they said... there were none on the shelf (we looked) and the one that was supposed to be waiting for us was not!!!

I have also had an online order from Walmart cancelled with a 'no longer in stock' message... however, it was batteries for a phone and they had the same thing under a different SKU for more money... even had the same product number.... so why have it on your website

We will still shop there from time to time as their prices are better and they are much closer than other options...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 09:50 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
UPS, FED X, USPS still exist. Their employees don't assault or rob the people they deliver packages to, why would Walmart employees be any different.
Its not what they were hired for. Those are drivers who made careers out of delivery. Not person who is working at a job that's not paying a living wage.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 10:20 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
Hmmm - maybe not willing to give the gate code to random employees.

I'm OK with Fedex and UPS, and I have tracking info and delivery status/notification.

I've tried Walmart ship to store a couple of times and there is always a problem. Gave up on them.
Old 06-03-2017, 10:23 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Hmmm - maybe not willing to give the gate code to random employees.

I'm OK with Fedex and UPS, and I have tracking info and delivery status/notification.

I've tried Walmart ship to store a couple of times and there is always a problem. Gave up on them.
Don't understand how it's different than giving gate code to UPS type person. Would you give gate code to pizza delivery driver?
Old 06-03-2017, 10:31 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Actually, I can't imagine ordering from Walmart vs Amazon--if I need something from Walmart (or Target), I'll just go to the store. This delivery option is not going to get them on my online ordering radar.
Old 06-03-2017, 11:49 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
It's a creative idea. I'll give um that.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote