Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Walmarts Issues
Old 12-07-2006, 07:35 AM   #61
Moderator Emeritus

Slick, welcome back. Let's all settle down and get back to normal. Or is this normal?

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2006, 07:49 AM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
I refuse to buy their products, because they have the balls to play both sides of the fence. ...
With that said I do buy Michelin tires for the price they are hard to beat.
Hmm.. how does this not count as playing both sides of the fence?

Governments frequently do what would appear to be in their self-interest, nothing more, nothing less. How is the US "above all that", after both arming Saddam Hussein with chemical weapons in the early '80s, and giving the Taliban and OBL a load of RPGs in the '90s?

This, all courtesy of the same guys currently running the show: Rumsfeld/Gates/Cheney/Wolfowitz... Baker (now supposedly "the grownup" who is going to give us the blueprint for a graceful conclusion to the Iraq War) was WH Chief of Staff while Rummy was shaking hands with Saddam as Special Envoy.

The current US-Iraq ambassador Kahlilzad was working (in the private sector) on feasibility studies for a glorious Trans-Afghan gas pipeline in the mid-'90s (during the height of the Afghan civil war and the Taliban's rule).

People have very short memories.

So, go ahead knock yourself out with the French boycott, by all means...
ladelfina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 08:10 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladelfina
Hmm.. how does this not count as playing both sides of the fence?
I know my meager 2-3 thousand dollars spent on goods is not going to hurt France in any way and is nothing more than a "feel good" boycott. Since my actions are nothing more than "feel good", I am not willing to trade feeling good for the safety of my family.
Old 12-07-2006, 08:19 AM   #64
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lets-retire
It's possible since they own a good portion of Mack and Volvo trucks, but as I said if I can find an alternative I strike the French company off the list without hesitation. I did not realize Samsung was a French company, good thing I don't buy them. I think their products are very poor quality. I liked Nissan when it was all Japanese, but I haven't driven one in a very, very long time.
What a... @#$. Samsung is a Korean company. Not French.

I think this is a very troubled way of thinking to strike a company because of perceived origins. Look Target is American. Samsung is Korean. Nissan is French. Honda is Japanese. But this is only the Headquarters!!! THe assets themselves are? Who knows: Those are stock companies and American pension funds own a big portion of them! Saudis another chunk and today Chinese assets are starting to buy too.
Plants are located in all continents including in the US, employing Americans. Believe it or not at this time one out of every job is provided by foreign capital. Out of these 17% are British. 14% are French (or something like that).
Do you guys consider Volkswagen and Honda? Germans and Japanese killed many Americans sixty years back. There was never any war withagainst France the last time I checked. Do you buy Oil from Venezuela (no choice there)? Do you go on vacation to Paris?

Some calibration here: http://superfrenchie.com/?p=926
perinova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 08:23 AM   #65

I eat french fries and enjoy french benefits.
justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 08:58 AM   #66
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by F M All
I think that is his problem..............
Nahhhhh............he's just adding a little spice to the mix.
Old 12-07-2006, 09:52 AM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by perinova
What a... @#$. Samsung is a Korean company. Not French.
http://www.channel4.com/4car/ft/feat...tor+show/522/6
rs0460a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 10:13 AM   #68

perinova--It boils down to my untrusting nature. I'm more willing to bury the hatchet with someone I've had an outright fight with, rather than someone who has stabbed me in the back. The French signed on with the alliance for the first Gulf War, then went behind the alliance and violated sanctions put in place to try to enforce the peace treaty Iraq signed. Their violation of the sanctions emboldened Iraq, putting me and the rest of the military in increased danger. An argument can be made that by violating the sanctions France et al lead Iraq down the path resulting in the second Gulf War. After all if Iraq complied with all of the sanctions they agreed to, then everyone would have been out of the country a few years after the war.
Old 12-07-2006, 10:36 AM   #69
Give me a forum ...

On another note, I went to WalMart last night, because my new printer didn;t come with a USB cable.............

Found one that lights up at both ends when it's plugged in, for $12.67. Just for fun, I found the SAME ONE at Best Buy for $16.88..........

Hmmmmmmm................

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 10:39 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude
On another note, I went to WalMart last night, because my new printer didn;t come with a USB cable.............

Found one that lights up at both ends when it's plugged in, for $12.67. Just for fun, I found the SAME ONE at Best Buy for $16.88..........

Hmmmmmmm................
Those bastards!

"Who among us is smart enough to learn from the mistakes of others?" - Voltaire
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 10:54 AM   #71
Give me a forum ...

You don't really need a reason to hate the French as they are presented by their government today. (There are, or course, many fine individuals of French ancestry.)

To steal a phrase from Brewer..........."They suck balls."
Old 12-07-2006, 11:29 AM   #72

Quote:
The French signed on with the alliance for the first Gulf War, then went behind the alliance and violated sanctions put in place to try to enforce the peace treaty Iraq signed.
And WE went behind Iran arms embargos with Iran/Contra, in which the soon-to-be Defense Sc'y. Gates (then CIA) played a role, AND for which Elliot Abrams, Deputy National Security Advisor under Rice, was convicted of 2 felonies!!.. all in order to chase down another tin-pot dictator.

I'm not a moral relativist (or even French) but I don't see how us getting on our high horse is either rational or advisable.
Old 12-07-2006, 11:43 AM   #73
Give me a forum ...

Still, "They suck balls."
Old 12-07-2006, 11:59 AM   #74
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
perinova--It boils down to my untrusting nature. I'm more willing to bury the hatchet with someone I've had an outright fight with, rather than someone who has stabbed me in the back. The French signed on with the alliance for the first Gulf War, then went behind the alliance and violated sanctions put in place to try to enforce the peace treaty Iraq signed. Their violation of the sanctions emboldened Iraq, putting me and the rest of the military in increased danger. An argument can be made that by violating the sanctions France et al lead Iraq down the path resulting in the second Gulf War. After all if Iraq complied with all of the sanctions they agreed to, then everyone would have been out of the country a few years after the war.
Sounds like you are reading from Rove's notes. Don't you know he is going to be indicted next year?

If you are pissed at being put in harm's way, blame the president. He is the one who assumed the position of an aggressor and stuck the military in an unwinnable morass.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 12:13 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
If you are pissed at being put in harm's way, blame the president. He is the one who assumed the position of an aggressor and stuck the military in an unwinnable morass.
Uh....ok, I'll blame Clinton, he sent me. : Who by the way also increased the danger for the military by, cutting and running as soon as our troops left a little American blood on the battlefield. Actually I don't mind going to combat zones when sent by our government, it kind of goes with the oath I swore. If I don't like the decisions our government takes, I can work to change the representatives. I do have problems with a different country putting my life at risk simply because they lack the backbone to follow through with a position they took.

Ladelfina-- sorry but I didn't get on a high horse, I simply stated my position and no matter what you say to justify the French position, you will not change my mind.
Old 12-07-2006, 12:22 PM   #76
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Ladelfina-- sorry but I didn't get on a high horse, I simply stated my position and no matter what you say to justify the French position, you will not change my mind.
Just like a good little Rove-bot!

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 12:28 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
Just like a good little Rove-bot!
Must not have anything intelligent to add since your resorting to name calling.

Moderators--to keep this thread civil (and open) I'll stop with the French posts.
Old 12-07-2006, 12:32 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude

Hmmmmmmm................
I went to Best Buy to pick up some cables for my TV. The cheapest ones tehy had were $45.00. I went to Wally World and they had some for $17.00. The 30 minutes I spent in line was worth the savings.
Old 12-07-2006, 02:02 PM   #79

Quote:
I went to Best Buy to pick up some cables for my TV. The cheapest ones tehy had were $45.00. I went to Wally World and they had some for $17.00. The 30 minutes I spent in line was worth the savings.
Walmart is often the cheapest: recently a bike rack was half the price of Sports-Authority.
Though not always. I was shopping for a digital camera and Walmart actually had it for more than Internet stores or even Circuit City.
perinova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 02:28 PM   #80

lets-retire.. believe me, I have no soft spot for the French..! But if Air France buys Alitalia, and I were to boycott Air France... it'll be a lot harder to get "home".

The global megacorps are too intertwined for me to be able to parse out their holdings and prod'n., even if I wanted to. Plus, what happens when there's a new French premier with a different political tack? I understand your position, but would you then re-visit it?

I have to say I never set foot in a Wal*Mart until about 2 years ago (once; they're not near my US stomping grounds anyway). I wasn't real impressed; it felt kinda cheesey and slapped-together. I like Target for regular shopping and Costco was great when I had a friend with a card for bulk purchases and whatever neat stuff they were offering cheap.