Walmarts Issues

lets-retire said:
Ladelfina-- sorry but I didn't get on a high horse, I simply stated my position and no matter what you say to justify the French position, you will not change my mind.

Just like a good little Rove-bot!

brewer12345 said:
Just like a good little Rove-bot!

Must not have anything intelligent to add since your resorting to name calling.

Moderators--to keep this thread civil (and open) I'll stop with the French posts.

FinanceDude said:
On another note, I went to WalMart last night, because my new printer didn;t come with a USB cable.............

Found one that lights up at both ends when it's plugged in, for $12.67. Just for fun, I found the SAME ONE at Best Buy for $16.88..........

Hmmmmmmm................

I went to Best Buy to pick up some cables for my TV. The cheapest ones tehy had were $45.00. I went to Wally World and they had some for $17.00. The 30 minutes I spent in line was worth the savings.

lets-retire said:
I went to Best Buy to pick up some cables for my TV. The cheapest ones tehy had were $45.00. I went to Wally World and they had some for $17.00. The 30 minutes I spent in line was worth the savings.
Walmart is often the cheapest: recently a bike rack was half the price of Sports-Authority.
Though not always. I was shopping for a digital camera and Walmart actually had it for more than Internet stores or even Circuit City.

lets-retire.. believe me, I have no soft spot for the French..! But if Air France buys Alitalia, and I were to boycott Air France... it'll be a lot harder to get "home". ;)

The global megacorps are too intertwined for me to be able to parse out their holdings and prod'n., even if I wanted to. Plus, what happens when there's a new French premier with a different political tack? I understand your position, but would you then re-visit it?

I have to say I never set foot in a Wal*Mart until about 2 years ago (once; they're not near my US stomping grounds anyway). I wasn't real impressed; it felt kinda cheesey and slapped-together. I like Target for regular shopping and Costco was great when I had a friend with a card for bulk purchases and whatever neat stuff they were offering cheap.

ladelfina said:
I have to say I never set foot in a Wal*Mart until about 2 years ago (once; they're not near my US stomping grounds anyway). I wasn't real impressed; it felt kinda cheesey and slapped-together.

works for me as long as I can save a few bucks! :D

FinanceDude said:
On another note, I went to WalMart last night, because my new printer didn;t come with a USB cable.............

Found one that lights up at both ends when it's plugged in, for $12.67. Just for fun, I found the SAME ONE at Best Buy for $16.88..........

Hmmmmmmm................

Go to the dollar store and you can find one for.... yes, $1.00. works great.

works for me as long as I can save a few bucks!

ahh Justin, would that were the case.. !
My shopping sprees in the US are few and far between, so I have to focus on #1) baggage weight, #2) desirablity/impossibility of finding item where I am in Italy and #3) ease of finding said item vs. its cost in USD (rather than everyday consumption concerns).

I carefully weigh the euro/dollar differential versus desirabliity versus my pain/expense of importation. Cracker Barrel cheddar is precious to me.

Some examples; Ramen noodles exist at my Italian supermarket, but at more than $1.25 apiece. The most average of US supermarkets sells them at maybe $0.15-0.20 apiece. Thus, I buy some to offset the heavier items like books and computer stuff that I cram my suitcases with on my too-infrequent overseas voyages, to keep myself under the (new, lower, terrorist- $$-influenced) baggage weight limits. Every so often I get a craving, and they are almost as cheap as newspaper stuffing in my bags. Likewise (believe it or not) with Kleenex, which cost 3+x the US price here. Or Zip-Locs, which are practically non-existent in Italy.. Boxes of Ziplocs make excellent cushioning for more $$$ items!

A US-purchased Mac mini (easily stashable) saves me a boatload; take any electronic device, multiply it by 1.2 (the Value-Added Tax) but then add 50-200% on top of that for no reason whatsoever. Bose Wave Radio in the US: $499; in Europe €698 ($927) . Ah, but that's a "US" product! Ok, let's take the Braun, German-made. coffeemaker (no auto-anything).. US price = $20. Italy price = almost $80 FOR THE IDENTICAL MODEL, and this is from a mfr. within the EU, so minimal transporation costs and NO tax differential. 'splain me why? There is no 'why'... that's just the way it is!

But I get free health care..
That doesn't mean that I don't get swept up into being "furbo" ("crafty") when it comes to assessing purchases!
My latest US hauls are solar garden lights and a three-station cordless phone system.

--
My experience in the Los Angeles "dollar stores" was that they were full of mis-guided 3rd-world-to-1st-world crapola. Like the stuff they show on Jay Leno that says "corkscrew", but it's a butter knife... Maybe there's a different strain of Dollar Stores where you guys are, but the ones I've been into in the last couple years are solely for yucks, with MAYBE the odd potential purchase.

I actually kind of feel sick when I realize the (not overwhelming, but still present) amount of focus I put on obtaining US goods at a steep discount to EU prices. How I would love to feel FREE to just buy the damn things here for 2-3x the price... E' piu' forte di me (it's stronger than I am)!

I guess that's part of why I am ER. :-[ :D

perinova said:
Do you guys consider Volkswagen and Honda? Germans and Japanese killed many Americans sixty years back.

My Dad fought in WWII, and said that he would NEVER purchase a Japanese car! He DID own a Volkswagen, though!!! When asked about that, he always said "I was on Okinawa getting shot at by the Japs! The Germans weren't trying to kill ME!!!" :LOL:

Ladelfina,

Sounds like someone needs a walmart near them in Italy! ;)

Although I doubt that Walmart would want to venture into Italy, and I'm sure some Italians are happy that walmart is staying away...

I guess I love a bargain as much as the next person.. guilty as charged. I have just not completely adjusted psychologically to paying the "normal" prices 'round here, but I need to, as making comparisons just gets me depressed.

I have to get my bargain shopping fix from the odd trip to the Rome IKEA and the local semi-Costco-like food wholesaler (that we get to shop in because DH has a business tax #, but the discounts are actually very minor).

In the north of Italy there are a lot more big-box-style shopping opportunities, the most notable being Carrefour.

(but they are FRENCH... ahhhh!!!)

Don't worry, let's-retire.. they are far away from where I am, so I have not had the opportunity to set foot in one. :) ;)

Most recent Wal-Mart victory.

My dog needs a pain medication, 60 pills a month. Local chain price, $50. Wal-Mart price, $4!

Add that to his phenobarb Rx, big savings. :)

The other thing I like about Wal-Mart is that they hammer all the obnoxious local merchants who being free of any significant competition charged a lot and gave surly service if they bothered to give any at all.

A week ago I saw a particularly odious former hardware store owner cleaning the men's room at Wal-Mart. I hesitate to tell this Victorian sounding story because it sounds made up, but there he was.

He had been well off, with lots of property. Two divorces, a business failure at his store, and a generally difficult personality has brought him low.

I should add that his problems were not caused by Wal-Mart. The local merchants successfully kept Wal- Mart out of town. Somehow they convinced enough of the other 99.5% of the population that buying stuff cheap from a store that keeps long hours would be harmful.

In an ironic twist, the bete noir that he worked to ban has turned out to be his lifeline in a time of distress. Except he has to drive farther to get to work!

Ha

Back
Top Bottom