Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-31-2020, 03:35 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldShooter View Post
For ten bucks you can get a 1 month online subscription to Consumer Reports.
CR is available for free from home via my public library's web site. OTOH, I've been burned several times by following the advice of Consumer Reports. YMMV, of course.
GalaxyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-31-2020, 03:39 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyBoy View Post
CR is available for free from home via my public library's web site. OTOH, I've been burned several times by following the advice of Consumer Reports. YMMV, of course.
They have their subtle biases, just like every other review publication, print or online. On the whole, not bad. But I've learned to read between the lines and recognize their bias in a number of areas.
Old 07-31-2020, 03:50 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Minus View Post
I have one of those top-of-the-line Vitamix blenders and recently got sucked down the “make your own hummus” black hole. After much expense and effort (selecting highest-quality natural ingredients, etc.), I came to the conclusion that it’s easier, cheaper and better to buy it vs. make it. Here’s a similar opinion: https://www.bonappetit.com/test-kitc...rth-the-effort

good luck.
Interesting - I make my own baba ganoush in a small food processor. But I don't bother with hummus. We like the Sabra brand well enough.
Old 07-31-2020, 04:08 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacergal View Post
I use the NutriBullet primarily. I also have a small immersion blender.
+1
Old 07-31-2020, 04:29 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Out-to-Lunch View Post
We have a Ninja, which seems to me to be roughly the functional equivalent of a Vitamix at ~1/3 the cost.

I had a Ninja, replaced it with a Blendtec, night and day difference between the two based on my usage. Never used a Vitamix but would expect similar results.
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 04:49 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Out-to-Lunch View Post
We have a Ninja, which seems to me to be roughly the functional equivalent of a Vitamix at ~1/3 the cost.
Agreed! We've had our Ninja for many years. It's still going strong.
Morgan22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 07:57 PM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Thanks for all the feedback. It basically seemed to fit with what I had seen online. That is, you find support for a lot of different blenders. And, any blender gets criticism.

I am not just going to use the blender for hummus. I just want to make sure it is good for hummus which is one of my main things I want to make with it. I do want to make some of the more traditional blender stuff as well.

If I don't like the hummus I could use storebought which is what we do now. But, I generally like the hummus from restaurants better. The store hummus is usually thicker and less creamy. The Zoes near us sells their hummus in 1/2 pint and pint containers which I have tried. Is very good but is expensive.

Anyway, in the end I have ordered this one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This a nutribullet combo with both the large jar and the smaller cups. I liked it since the price was under $150. I really didn't want to spend more than that. I did consider this Blendtec:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FHQVY8I/ref=dp_cerb_2

It had good reviews but the price was more than I wanted to spend and I saw some negative reviews for hummus. Of course, all have some negative reviews, even the one I bought.

I considered this one seriously.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00939I7EK...ing=UTF8&psc=1

It was over $150 but it had a separate food processor attachment bowl which was nice. But, I ultimately decided it was overkill for what I wanted and I really decided I wanted to spend less.

I did look at a ton of others, Oster, Hamilton, even Vitamix. I could have justified anything. So we'll see how it goes.... Should have everything in a few days.
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote