Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Want to buy a wireless printer
Old 03-31-2014, 09:18 AM   #1
gone traveling

Want to buy a wireless printer

I would like to get rid of my old wired printer and go wireless multi-function inkjet, but am trouble finding one that supports wpa2 - AES security. I get the impression that the printer companies have not caught up with current wireless security standards. Anyone have any suggestions?
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2014, 10:21 AM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Did you look at the Epson WF-3540? It's wpa2 compliant, not sure the details re AES. I got one a month ago to replace an HP and I'm happy with it.
jon-nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 11:16 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Just bought a HP OfficeJet 660 with secure internet connection. Works great, especially for scanning!
KiraC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 12:32 PM   #4
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon-nyc View Post
Did you look at the Epson WF-3540? It's wpa2 compliant, not sure the details re AES. I got one a month ago to replace an HP and I'm happy with it.
It has a WPS capability, but I do not think that is supported by my Verizon router

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiraC View Post
Just bought a HP OfficeJet 660 with secure internet connection. Works great, especially for scanning!
Did you mean HP 6600? I say it supports spa, but that is not as strong as wpa2-AES.

If push comes to shove, I guess I will need to go with a hard wired setup until I can find a wireless solution.
Old 03-31-2014, 12:48 PM   #5

Can you set up a second wifi network just for printing?
jon-nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 01:02 PM   #6
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon-nyc View Post
Can you set up a second wifi network just for printing?
I would prefer not to get into anything that complex. Currently we have 2 iPads, 1 Macbook, 1 iPhone and now my iMac set up under wpa2-aes which provides a bit stronger security and I would also like DW and DD to be able to print from their devices, thus why I am looking for wireless printer. It does seem like these printer companies are behind the times in terms of network security. Maybe I can hard wire a printer to my iMac and then network the other devices by setting the iMAC up to share the printer. This stuff gets a bit confusing as I'm not much of a network expert.
Old 03-31-2014, 01:12 PM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have a Brother MFC wireless all in one printer that is about 5 years old and handles WPA2-AES with no problem, but it is a laser printer. Excellent all in one printer for home use. I'm sure their newer all in one wireless inkjet printers would support it but unless you really need color printing I would highly recommend you go with a laser.
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 01:38 PM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post

If push comes to shove, I guess I will need to go with a hard wired setup until I can find a wireless solution.
If it isn't inconvenient to have the printer near your router, this is probably the best thing to do. More secure, simpler, more reliable and will eat up slightly less of your wireless BW.

My printer is right next to my router, so that is what I did. Simple. All the various computers and iPads, and maybe even phones (can't recall if I tried with the phone, but installed the Cortado app on the ipads and Android phone)

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 01:47 PM   #9

I'm not technically savvy when it comes to networking questions but I recently attached my hard-wired HP printer to the wireless router and now I print from anywhere in the house.

Yes, the printer and router must be in close proximity so I could run the Ethernet cable between them but I like the solution and I didn't have to buy anything.

I'm assuming the wireless router takes care of the security since it's the only device I'm "connected" to.
Old 03-31-2014, 01:47 PM   #10

I use an HP Envy 4500. No fax, but it scans. I use WPA2 TKIP, but it does AES as well. Haven't had it for long. We got it so DW could print from her iPad.
Animorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 01:49 PM   #11
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger1457 View Post
I have a Brother MFC wireless all in one printer that is about 5 years old and handles WPA2-AES with no problem, but it is a laser printer. Excellent all in one printer for home use. I'm sure their newer all in one wireless inkjet printers would support it but unless you really need color printing I would highly recommend you go with a laser.
I'll look into the Brothers, but I am finding it difficult to review printer specs and documentation to verify wpa2-aes. WPA or WPA personal or WEP is usually what you find.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
If it isn't inconvenient to have the printer near your router, this is probably the best thing to do. More secure, simpler, more reliable and will eat up slightly less of your wireless BW.
-ERD50
This would work although my router is in a small closet and most likely fitting a printer in there will be a problem. To this end, perhaps I can connect to my iMac and then use the iMC as a printer host for the other devices, although I'm not sure how to configure the network to work that way.
Old 03-31-2014, 03:09 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I believe there are "wireless printers" and "e-printers". I have an e-printer which lets me print from my laptop/phone when I'm away from home.

If I got it right, wireless printer will only print wirelessly when the laptop/phone is within network.
Old 03-31-2014, 04:28 PM   #13

I'd second the recommendation for Brother wireless laser printers. We got a 2270DW about a year ago that was a snap to integrate into our home wireless system and has worked flawlessly since. While the 2270 is just a printer it has a bigger brother multifunction printer/scanner/copier the 2280DW that I believe has similar wireless characteristics.
stepford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 05:09 PM   #14
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepford View Post
I'd second the recommendation for Brother wireless laser printers. We got a 2270DW about a year ago that was a snap to integrate into our home wireless system and has worked flawlessly since. While the 2270 is just a printer it has a bigger brother multifunction printer/scanner/copier the 2280DW that I believe has similar wireless characteristics.
I checked the 2280DW and it is one of the only machines I've seen that clearly confirms its wireless security capabilities as follows: "Wireless Network Security
WEP 64/128, WPA-PSK (TKIP/AES), WPA2-PSK (AES)"
Old 04-01-2014, 06:20 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

This kind of problem can be frustrating. I recently got a TV with streaming capabilities but had to fall back to WEP to get it to connect. PITA.