Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-14-2017, 09:45 AM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Well of course Costco is cheaper than Whole Foods. Whole Foods is a high bar! But Amazon may be changing that.....
This is funny, because I'm pretty sure I've seen cases of Lacroix off and on at my local Costco:
Quote:
But though Costco generally offers cheaper prices, there's a problem. The selection is limited. One missing item, and missed opportunity: the popular seltzer brand LaCroix, a cult favorite, particularly among millennials.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2017, 10:10 AM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Well of course Costco is cheaper than Whole Foods. Whole Foods is a high bar! But Amazon may be changing that.....
Well, the article did go on to say that they were already cheaper than many of the traditional grocers, so it wasn't specific to Whole Foods (and they did note that some prices have already been lowered at WF after the Amazon buyout)...the story was very much polar opposite from what many folks here are reporting. Also, the numbers they use are from a study that was done by JP Morgan, so perhaps it should be taken with a grain of salt.

Personally, we go to Costco about once a month. I would say most of our spending there is for dry goods and household items. The food staples tend to be ground beef, chicken breasts, salmon and some fresh seafood. We have found that the beef, chicken and salmon (all the frozen varieties) are cheaper than what we can get at Kroger and Publix. We don't shop at Wal-Mart often (not very convenient) so I can't make a fair comparison.

I will admit that in the world of money spending, we don't pay too much attention on the grocery bill. It's just two of us, so even without watching it, we don't spend too darn much. Not only to mention, even being retired, I am still saving more money that I am spending, so saving a few bucks on groceries isn't a high priority.