Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Washington state plan to replace gas tax with a tax per mile.
Old 01-20-2023, 01:12 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Washington state plan to replace gas tax with a tax per mile.

https://610kona.com/washington-state...tax-is-coming/

It looks like WA state will make a move in the direction of implementing a miles driven tax.

A few quotes:

“At their most recent meeting the Washington State Transportation Commission (WSTC) gave their official recommendation for a pay per mile tax or Road Usage Charge (RUC) What does this mean for you?”

“Travel on private roads, private farms with access roads, and out of State road ways can not be calculated in the tax. The WSTC has recommended a 2.5 cent per mile charge per vehicle.”

“That is where it gets interesting. The WSTC is asking the Legislature to authorize the RUC in this coming session so they can begin an opt-in program in 2025 before all drivers are moved to it in 2027. In the summer of 2025, if you have a vehicle that gets 25 mpg or more you can opt in, if you have a hybrid or EV you can opt in and have your fee waived.”

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2023, 01:19 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The theory is sound. But I'd have to know how they plan on NOT charging me for the multiple trips between Florida and Pennsylvania and many out-of-state trips that I've been taking for the last several years. I bet >30% of the miles on my car are from out-of-state travels.
PaunchyPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 01:23 PM   #3
Administrator

The thread title is a bit misleading. According to the article, the Washington State Transportation Commission has made a recommendation to implement a road usage charge or per mile tax.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
States plan to replace gas tax with a tax per mile.
Old 01-20-2023, 01:56 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

States plan to replace gas tax with a tax per mile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
The thread title is a bit misleading. According to the article, the Washington State Transportation Commission has made a recommendation to implement a road usage charge or per mile tax.

My understanding is that the study was done at the request of the state legislature. They want this to happen, IMO.

Miles driven would be tracked via a GPS device in your car. The privacy aspects of this would be formidable I would think.

The gas tax could not be eliminated quickly because so many projects are bonded via payment from the gas tax. Will there be a dollar for dollar reduction in gas tax collected for each dollar of new revenue? Then there are the privacy issues. Will a person’s travel data be private and secure? How can the public be assured of that?

Lots of items to discuss.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 02:02 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

Maybe I missed it.... I did not see in the article where the gas tax was going away. Call me a cynic, but looks like an additional tax and/or fee.
Washington state gas tax was about $.50/gallon in 2022. According to AAA, average retail price per gallon of regular is currently $4.04, up 08 cents from a year-ago. The article's claim that tax would "increase roughly fifty more cents in 2023" has been proven as false in many news articles, and the AAA data would support this.
The greatest problem I see with a RUC is that the state would have to track every vehicle's miles on different types of roads. From the OP link,
"This would add a device to your vehicle that would automatically report the miles you drive through a combination of GPS and telecommunication technologies."
Sure, lots of folks would sign up for that......no, I don't think so.
"Surcharges are applied to owners of hybrids and EVs, but they don't come close to the amount of revenue collected by the gas tax." Simple solution - increase the surcharges so they do equal the revenue that is being lost in gasoline tax.
HarveyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 02:12 PM   #6

Call me cynical, but pay paying road taxes through per mile fees instead of at the pump permits politically-favored people to be exempted without anyone knowing the better.

Probably not surprising if it gets bipartisan support.
Out of Steam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 02:21 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Miles driven would be tracked via a GPS device in your car. The privacy aspects of this would be formidable I would think.
That's a huge obstacle to overcome I'd think. But it's also the only way I can think of to be even close to fairness for people who travel out of state often, like us. Both the MD and VA state lines are within 20 minutes of where we live in WV and a good bit (I'm guessing 35% +/- 10%) of our driving is in one of those other states. Almost all of our local driving is probably 10 miles or less round trip and all of our driving over that is to another state.

If we took the trouble to measure, it wouldn't surprise me to discover that even half or more of our vehicle mileage is in states other than WV.
Old 01-20-2023, 02:36 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaunchyPirate View Post
The theory is sound. But I'd have to know how they plan on NOT charging me for the multiple trips between Florida and Pennsylvania and many out-of-state trips that I've been taking for the last several years. I bet >30% of the miles on my car are from out-of-state travels.
Simple. GPS knows what state you're in. So GPS has the ability to tally up miles within a given state.

ETA: It would be ideal if each state had a similar setup, and the tax withdrawn monthly from a credit card by each state driven in during the month, based on the miles driven within each state.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 02:43 PM   #9

Thread title has been changed for accuracy.
Old 01-21-2023, 02:21 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
My understanding is that the study was done at the request of the state legislature. They want this to happen, IMO.

The gas tax could not be eliminated quickly because so many projects are bonded via payment from the gas tax. Will there be a dollar for dollar reduction in gas tax collected for each dollar of new revenue? Then there are the privacy issues. Will a person’s travel data be private and secure? How can the public be assured of that?

Lots of items to discuss.
My "issue" with this (and it's being investigated in Hawaii as well) is that everyone sees the gas tax at the pump - every time. Raising it means everyone affected sees the effect every time they fill up. A mileage tax is easy to raise in the legislature, and no one notices until end of year tax bill (or whatever.) Which tax is more likely to be raised more often? Call ME cynical as well.

I've lived long enough to know that promises don't mean much to folks who are elected every 2 or 4 years but YMMV.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2023, 02:25 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Simple. GPS knows what state you're in. So GPS has the ability to tally up miles within a given state.

ETA: It would be ideal if each state had a similar setup, and the tax withdrawn monthly from a credit card by each state driven in during the month, based on the miles driven within each state.
Ideal is not the word I would use, but YMMV.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2023, 03:28 PM   #12

Michigan is apparently looking at tolls on major highways to increase non-gasoline revenue. It may be as much as 6 cents per mile paid by transponder or pay by plate. I suspect most states are looking to supplement gas tax revenue.
RetMD21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2023, 04:49 PM   #13

My opinion of this is that it will be an additional tax. I don't think there will be a reduction on gas taxes.
Old 01-21-2023, 04:56 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

this is a very unfair tax to the people in the south part of Washington state who have to drive to Oregon to buy large ticket items and avoid the Washington sales tax.
Fermion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2023, 05:08 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermion View Post
this is a very unfair tax to the people in the south part of Washington state who have to drive to Oregon to buy large ticket items and avoid the Washington sales tax.
Very true.
Perhaps Oregon can equalize the issue by putting a toll on the bridge
Old 01-21-2023, 05:59 PM   #16
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Out of Steam View Post
Call me cynical, but pay paying road taxes through per mile fees instead of at the pump permits politically-favored people to be exempted without anyone knowing the better.

Probably not surprising if it gets bipartisan support.

Exactly. Classic WA state politics. Low income will become exempt. People that live in 'repressed' areas will be exempt. Handicapped people, people under medicaid, non-profit service vehicles, etc. The list will go on and on.
dmpi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 06:45 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
My "issue" with this (and it's being investigated in Hawaii as well) is that everyone sees the gas tax at the pump - every time. Raising it means everyone affected sees the effect every time they fill up.
Well, no, that's the whole point. EV owners don't see it at all. So as EVs become more popular, some alternative to gas taxes will probably become necessary. Virginia has a property tax on vehicles, although that means that it's not proportional to usage the way gas or mileage taxes are.

Right now, one combination of simpler and easier to implement is to simply place a yearly property tax on EVs while working out the details of how to better apportion a usage tax. Or just give up on a usage tax and make it more a part of the overall local and state budgets, as we don't charge people more taxes per child to cover educational expenses. (I'm not necessarily listing these options because I prefer them, I'm just putting on my project manager hat and musing on implementation and metrics.)
Old 01-22-2023, 07:16 AM   #18
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

A bill was introduced in the TX legislature last session (they meet every other year) to tax EVs $200 per year and hybrids $100 per year to make up for lost gas tax revenue. EV proponents argued $200 was excessive as an ICE vehicle getting 30MPG and driving 15,000 miles a year would pay only $100 in gas tax at the current tax rate of $0.20/gal.

The bill did not pass but the legislature, which meets every other year, is once again in session hide the women and children and another attempt to tax EVs is expected.

As an EV and hybrid owner I think it only fair I pay my fair share of taxes. I am hoping to see something along the lines of $100 for EVs and $50 for hybrids.

EDIT: Apparently three bills have been introduced so far, two in the house and one in the senate. Two of the bills would tax EV's $200/yr, one would tax EV's $100/yr. One of the $200/yr bills would also tax hybrids $100/yr.
Old 01-22-2023, 09:39 AM   #19

It's unimaginable that DC fast charging won't end up subject to sales or EV-specific per kWh taxes, if only to capture revenue from out-of-state residents.

What is left is collecting road taxes for miles driven that are powered by charging at home.
Out of Steam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 03:46 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cosmic Avenger View Post
...Or just give up on a usage tax and make it more a part of the overall local and state budgets...
^^^This. The highway infrastructure is one of those few things we really do need government for.

Our whole economy depends on good transportation infrastructure, regardless of how many miles we, as individuals, drive. Regardless of how many KWHs or gallons of fuel we use. So-called use taxes play well to the masses, but they're a stupid way to fund roads.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote