Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-15-2021, 12:23 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Both critters are lovely and trim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredAndLovingIt View Post
I have a dog, there is zero food waste in my house. Just to be sure, she does a routine trash can survey every chance she gets
All fast food containers are diligently licked clean before being disposed of.
Not an ounce of fat on her, she gets kibble and canned twice a day and still always hungry.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-15-2021, 12:24 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post
Wrong. I'm not "glad" you picked it up. In most areas of the world you are required to pick it up. It is your responsibility as a dog owner even if it's not specifically the law in your area.

And my garbage can is not for your use, ever. If I get home late on trash day you have no right to dump your dog crap (or any of your personal garbage) in my trash can. Don't play that game. We all learn by around age 5 that two wrongs don't make a right.

Wow, that's pretty hard.

Tightwad is welcome to use my trash.

btw, I'm one of those people the never moves their trashcan. There seems to be a natural place for it at the road, and it was stayed their 27 years.
Time2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 12:25 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2 View Post
When my daughter was younger she was part of deputy deputies, she learned about the local sex offenders website, I was shocked by how may were within a mile of our home.
As Amethyst correctly notes many jurisdictions have a rather liberal definition of what constitutes a "sex offense", things that might cause Miss Manners to frown, but wouldn't be worthy of note at all to many.
Old 11-15-2021, 12:28 PM   #44
Administrator

Some years back, one of my young wife's 17 year old high school students was convicted of statutory rape for having sex with his 15 year old girlfriend. He actually went to prison for it. Probably not a danger to anyone, but he's still on the sex offender registry.
Old 11-15-2021, 12:30 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Does it give the nature of their offense? Some states will convict people for relatively minor things, such as having sex in a park or on a beach. Yes, sex on the beach, including at night when nobody can see, is a crime in many municipalities!
No, it does not! I almost mentioned that it doesn't give the crime, so many may not be anything that would cause one concern about safety. When I saw one of my regular customers on there, I had to wonder about him.
The other thing that surprised me were the number of women on the list.
Time2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 12:30 PM   #46

They're okay sharing the water bowl but the dog is very food aggressive and has to eat outside. The cat is 17, only 4.2 lbs, on thyroid medication, always starving and drinks gallons of water a day. She's literally wasting away but as long as she keeps eating and drinking, I just can't put her down. They actually hate each other with a passion and have gotten into many fights which the cat always wins. This cat has never met a dog that she's frightened of.
RetiredAndLovingIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 12:33 PM   #47

Quote:
Wow, that's pretty hard.

Tightwad is welcome to use my trash.

btw, I'm one of those people the never moves their trashcan. There seems to be a natural place for it at the road, and it was stayed their 27 years.
My goal is to get the poo off the streets. And again the people that bag it and toss the bag onto the sidewalk, parkway, or even a yard...also a big no-no.

I routinely pick up poo left behind by others less considerate (and some left by coyotes). And I make sure it gets disposed of properly. In trash cans.
Mr. Tightwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 12:35 PM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

My opinion is to let it go and if it's a 'good' neighbor otherwise, just be happy. Be happy you don't have a truly bad neighbor - one whose house is in complete disrepair, or leaves a barking dog out all day/night, smokes near your open windows, builds a fence that encroaches into your yard and refuses to fix it, etc.

A couple of minor thoughts, as least in our case:

75F outside means the inside of our house could easily be 78F if it's very sunny or we're using the oven or whatever. That's too hot. So AC it is.

Trash could be anything. When we had two kids in diapers, a week of diapers would easily fill 1/3 of the trash can and ours was often overflowing. Now my wife ships packages from her online store which also generates a lot of waste. They may have a perfectly valid reason for having a lot of trash.

An idle car for 20 minutes uses maybe 1/4 of a gallon of gas. The emissions are probably the bigger issue. Don't worry about their extra cars - if it makes them happy, then so be it.
sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 12:40 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Well, it generally takes at least two to tango on the beach.

Quote:
The other thing that surprised me were the number of women on the list.
Old 11-15-2021, 12:41 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Lordy! So "jail bait" really exists. I always thought it was a snicker-snicker term.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
Some years back, one of my young wife's 17 year old high school students was convicted of statutory rape for having sex with his 15 year old girlfriend. He actually went to prison for it. Probably not a danger to anyone, but he's still on the sex offender registry.
Old 11-15-2021, 12:43 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
Actually, except for the excessive outside lighting, none of it really affects you, so I wouldn't worry about it.
Well, on the whole, it does. It means more demands on our natural resources and more crap in the landfills. For those who waste a lot of food it means higher grocery bills. An insane amount of food is wasted in this country- left in the fields by automated harvesting methods, spoiled in transit, past dated at the store, thrown out by restaurants, rotting in peoples' refrigerators and pantries. How many people would this feed if more were recovered?

I'm "affluent" by raised by frugal people. I was tickled pink when I got a sprinkler system that taps into weather reports and doesn't sprinkle when enough rain has fallen or is predicted. My thermostat is programmable and I love the days when all I need to do is shut off the system and open the windows.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 12:48 PM   #52

Quote:
Lordy! So "jail bait" really exists. I always thought it was a snicker-snicker term.
Oh no, in MD where I grew up that was the case too. If you were 18 or over, you'd better be on your best behavior with any young lady younger than that regardless of her opinions on the topic. And it didn't matter if she was to turn 18 the next week either.
Old 11-15-2021, 12:49 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

You're correct. I'm just not convinced that OP should continue pondering a neighbor's food waste, which he can't influence, versus doing his part by controlling food waste in his home.

Incidentally, I tried one of those subscriptions for "slightly imperfect" foods. Misfits Market. A serious proportion of the produce was rotted when it arrived, or just on the edge. Food recovery is really hard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
An insane amount of food is wasted in this country- left in the fields by automated harvesting methods, spoiled in transit, past dated at the store, thrown out by restaurants, rotting in peoples' refrigerators and pantries. How many people would this feed if more were recovered?

Old 11-15-2021, 12:50 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
You're correct. I'm just not convinced that OP should continue pondering a neighbor's food waste, which he can't influence, versus doing his part by controlling food waste in his home.

Incidentally, I tried one of those subscriptions for "slightly imperfect" foods. Misfits Market. A serious proportion of the produce was rotted when it arrived, or just on the edge. Food recovery is really hard.

Did you get your money back?
ivinsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 12:52 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

I guess the same would be true of a young man under 18 and a woman over 18.

And yet I have read that a fairly high proportion of young people are sexually active by age 16 or earlier. Since it's a crime, I wonder how they get these statistics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Oh no, in MD where I grew up that was the case too. If you were 18 or over, you'd better be on your best behavior with any young lady younger than that regardless of her opinions on the topic. And it didn't matter if she was to turn 18 the next week either.
Old 11-15-2021, 12:53 PM   #56

Wow.

This thread reminds me how glad I am to live around folks who have adopted the attitude "live and let live."

I pay zero attention to what my neighbors do, and I assume they give me the same consideration.

I have been in this house for 22+ years, and have never had any neighbor "issues" whatsoever.
Old 11-15-2021, 12:54 PM   #57
Administrator

In fewer than 60 posts the discussion has gone from a neighbor’s wasteful ways to sex offenders and dog poop. Talk about thread drift.

Wonder where it’s headed next ...
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 12:54 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

I did indeed.

If it had been something small, e.g. one soft tomato, I would have let it go. But it was considerably worse than that. And the box had gel packs in it, and I pulled it in the house the minute I heard it hit the front porch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
Did you get your money back?
Old 11-15-2021, 12:55 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I guess the same would be true of a young man under 18 and a woman over 18.

And yet I have read that a fairly high proportion of young people are sexually active by age 16 or earlier. Since it's a crime, I wonder how they get these statistics?

Talk about thread drift, sometimes posters get annoyed that their threads get drifted, this is how it happens... it's just inevitable..
ivinsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 12:55 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

And this surprises you? People have their priorities, after all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
In fewer than 60 posts the discussion has gone from a neighbor’s wasteful ways to sex offenders and dog poop. Talk about thread drift.

Wonder where it’s headed next ...