Watching World Baseball

Danny

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I watched South Africa almost beat Canada last night! :eek: A good game.
I can't believe I'm watching South Africans and now today the Dutch play baseball. Fantastic!

Maybe someday there really will be a World Series.

The announcers didn't give S. Africa much of a chance, did they?

Even more surprising ...
PHOENIX (Reuters) - Adam Stern drove in four runs, had an inside the park homer and made a clutch game-saving catch as Canada shocked the U.S. 8-6 in World Baseball Classic action Wednesday, leaving the Americans on the brink of elimination.

VoyT said:
The announcers didn't give S. Africa much of a chance, did they?

Even more surprising ...
PHOENIX (Reuters) - Adam Stern drove in four runs, had an inside the park homer and made a clutch game-saving catch as Canada shocked the U.S. 8-6 in World Baseball Classic action Wednesday, leaving the Americans on the brink of elimination.
Yeah, they didn't - the SA players are amateurs and buy their own equipment so not much respect - if there wasn't a 65 pitch limit per pitcher they wouldn't have to have a 17 year old throwing and they might have won I think.
The US on the brink?!

DanTien said:
I watched South Africa almost beat Canada last night!

If they would only bar the canadians from using their hockey sticks to knock down homers into four territory...

I watched the last few innings of the USA-Canada game which was pretty good but I can not help thinking of it as a spring training game.

I think this tournament is Bud Selig's way to get the rest of the world interested in the sport now that the Olympics have cut baseball from the games. A noble reason. I think that it is a much bigger attraction in latin america as they get a chance to beat the USA at their own game and that is what this is all about anyway.

If you like baseball, which I do, you can enjoy the game at any level.

DanTien said:
The US on the brink?!

Perhaps, on the other hand, Clemens will be on the mound when the U.S. faces South Africa ....

VoyT said:
Perhaps, on the other hand, Clemens will be on the mound when the U.S. faces South Africa ....
It would be interesting to see players who pay $100 a month to play baseball take on Clemens

DanTien said:
It would be interesting to see players who pay $100 a month to play baseball take on Clemens

Turned out to be a massacre:
"The David and Goliath matchup of the 16-nation tournament produced a predictable result, the U.S. twice batting through the order in the first three innings on the way to a 16-0 lead, setting the stage for an early decision."
Final score 17-0

VoyT said:
Turned out to be a massacre:
"The David and Goliath matchup of the 16-nation tournament produced a predictable result, the U.S. twice batting through the order in the first three innings on the way to a 16-0 lead, setting the stage for an early decision."
Final score 17-0
It wasn't pretty! Lets see The South Africans almost beat Canada which beat USA and USA made SA look like well...Amateurs :D
I like to see teams play that do it for more than money, like dare I speak it...for Love of the game like when we played little league.. :)

U.S. twice batting through the order in the first three innings on the way to a 16-0 lead, setting the stage for an early decision."

The game was called after 5 innings due to the little league inspired "mercy rule". Not real baseball, but few fans enjoy a bloodbath no matter what side you are pulling for.

Baseball is more suited for a long (162 game) season rather than a short tournament format but you can not stage a 162 game tournament that would work.

Could this be done after the World Series, say somewhere that's warm? Then the pitchers would be ready and everyone would have the winter to get healthy, if an injury occurs. I actually think it's good for baseball, and could evolve into a world cup type event which would be competitive and fun to watch.

Eagle43 said:
Could this be done after the World Series, say somewhere that's warm? Then the pitchers would be ready and everyone would have the winter to get healthy, if an injury occurs. I actually think it's good for baseball, and could evolve into a world cup type event which would be competitive and fun to watch.
Eagle - I agree. The commish was saying he didn't want it stealing thunder from the fall classic, but I think Nov-Dec works for me.

Winter ball would make more sense, but I've heard that there's some concern that players wouldn't go for it ...

Was thinking that if nothing else, this tournament is a good showcase for players out of the lesser-known teams. The Netherlands looked to have a couple of decent pitchers -- might be nice if one of them picked up a minor-league contract...

VoyT said:
Winter ball would make more sense, but I've heard that there's some concern that players wouldn't go for it ...

So the game, minus prima donnas...i'm sorry...what was the problem again? ;)

Mexico vs. Korea Good game. Smart move playing the game in LA - no shortage of Korean & Mexican fans.

Back
Top Bottom