Join Early Retirement Today

Water Hammer Arrestor
Old 06-25-2020, 02:41 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Water Hammer Arrestor

I bought a water hammer arrestor made by a company called Sioux Chief. I'm seeking advice from people who have also used water hammer arrestors.

I'm using it between a stop valve and a dishwasher inlet valve to prevent water hammer from damaging the inlet valve. Would it be better to install it at the stop valve, or further downstream at the dishwasher inlet valve?
Vincenzo Corleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2020, 03:21 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincenzo Corleone View Post
I bought a water hammer arrestor made by a company called Sioux Chief. I'm seeking advice from people who have also used water hammer arrestors.

I'm using it between a stop valve and a dishwasher inlet valve to prevent water hammer from damaging the inlet valve. Would it be better to install it at the stop valve, or further downstream at the dishwasher inlet valve?
Better closest to where the water flow stops suddenly.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 03:22 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

On the supply stop according to this.
I interpret this to mean the solenoid valve at dishwasher.

https://www.acehardware.com/departme...ttings/4327011
target2019 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 03:29 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Space may be tight under dishwasher. So:

Sioux Chief arresters can be installed vertically, horizontally, or any angle in between.
target2019 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 10:46 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincenzo Corleone View Post

I have a Sioux Chief Mini-Restor installed behind our clothes washing machine, on its cold water inlet line. Previously, when the washing machine's cold water inlet valve would shut off, we would hear a "thump!" from the kitchen sink plumbing. The kitchen sink is about 50 feet downstream from the clothes washer.

The Mini-Restor I installed has a female hose thread inlet, and presents a male hose thread outlet, which is 90 degrees from the inlet. I just unscrewed the washer's cold inlet hose from the manual shut-off valve, screwed the Mini-Restor onto the valve, then screwed the washer's cold inlet hose onto the Mini-Restor's outlet. Very simple, and effective. Having the Mini-Restor about 3 feet from the source of the hammer, the rapidly closing cold fill valve, did not seem to reduce it's effectiveness.

I realize my application is a bit different than yours - I was stopping the surge at the source, where you are trying to stop the surge at the far end, the receiving end. I would think anywhere along the path has to help, as it is the squidgy accumulator effect that absorbs the surge of the relatively incompressible water.
Old 06-26-2020, 12:37 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

Thanks, everybody. I installed it closer to the dishwasher valve. Now, I wait and watch. Hopefully this will be the end to my dishwasher valve troubles.
Vincenzo Corleone is offline   Reply With Quote