Join Early Retirement Today

Waterproofing/protecting cedar fence
Old 10-24-2006, 10:35 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Waterproofing/protecting cedar fence

Hello,

I had a cedar fence installed recently and am finally getting around to protecting it. My goal is to waterproof the fence and prevent UV damage, not to change the color of the wood. I suppose if I can have termite protection thrown in, that would be great too. There seem to be so many kinds of waterproofing sealants that I have no clue what to use. I hear that Thompsons waterseal is not a good one to use.

I plan use a pump sprayer to apply the sealant and I live in SoCal if it matters.

Thanks!
WanderALot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Waterproofing/protecting cedar fence
Old 10-24-2006, 11:02 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

FINISHING WESTERN RED CEDAR SIDING - CLEARS, SEMI-TRANSPARENT STAINS, BLEACHING OILS
http://www.wrcla.org/pdf/Finishing_W...l_Finishes.pdf

http://www.nobugs.com/termites/preventing_gardners.html“2. Which plants in the landscape most attract termites?
Termites can infest and destroy anything with cellulose including live trees and shrubs including any woody ornamental. There are some species which are less accepted (e.g., redwood, cedar), but termites have been known to feed on any wood under the right conditions.”

http://www.weyerhaeuser.com/coastalw...haracteristics.htm
“Termite Resistance
The death rate of termites consuming Western Red Cedar varies with fiber source and the species of termites from 100% in several days to 40% in several weeks. Termites prefer food sources other than Western Red Cedar, however in the absence of alternative food sources, some termites will attack Western Red Cedar. It is best to consult local experts on their experience with Cedar’s resistance to the species of termite that inhabits the region. In the absence of local knowledge it is recommended that preventative treatments be made to insure consistent resistance to attack in areas that are prone termite attacks.”

sgeeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 07:54 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cedar was a good choice.

I never, ever did anything to my cedar fence. Nothing.

It outlasted (25 years) all the other wood exterior fences and decks on my property and looked better in the process. Just keep standing water from accumulating (crown the top of the posts, refasten loose boards once in a while).

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 12:37 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa
Cedar was a good choice.

I never, ever did anything to my cedar fence. Nothing.

It outlasted (25 years) all the other wood exterior fences and decks on my property and looked better in the process. Just keep standing water from accumulating (crown the top of the posts, refasten loose boards once in a while).
And power wash once in a while to restore its luster.
Old 10-25-2006, 03:13 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek

I have a cedar fence that is almost 30 yers old. It needs repair, biut not the wooden part. The metal poles that hold the fence up are beginning to sag and rust a bit near the ground level. I have never applied anything to it to preserve it, nor have I ever power washed it. It looks old, but the wood is in pretty good shape for 30 year old wood..

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 11:42 AM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

Thanks for the replies. Just to let everyone know, I decided to use the Olympic Cedar Stain since it was highly rated in Consumer Reports. It's not a "thick" stain, just a little bit of a cedar stain and it really brought out the wood fence. I decided to stain both the new fence and the 4-yr old part of the fence which had faded a bit.

I applied the stain using a $15 pressue sprayer from Lowes. Spraying both sides of 150 linear ft of fence took less than 3 hrs including cleanup and some prep work. The fence looks brand new now! "Flood" is also very highly rated by several people I talked to, but at $30/gallon, it would have been about twice as expensive as the stuff I used. Everyone I talked to was against using the Thompsons Water Seal products.

WanderALot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 06:20 PM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderALot
....I decided to use the Olympic Cedar Stain since it was highly rated in Consumer Reports
I've been using Olympic for YEARS, and I'm very pleased with it's long-lasting protection! I've tried the Thompson's, but was not as satisfied. I built an addition on the garage in '85 (a hobby room/workshop), and used rough-sawn pine siding. I bought the Olympic Semi-Transparent Redwood, and hand-brushed on 2 coats. It penetrated deeply into the wood, and the water just pretty much bounces off when it rains. I reapply it every few years to keep it looking new. 8)
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote