Join Early Retirement Today

Weather Radios
Old 03-22-2008, 02:29 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Weather Radios

Does anyone have one of these? The type that you always keep on and you get warnings about storms in your area? DH now wants one of these since last week here in Atlanta there was a tornado (that we didn't know about---and it was miles away).

I dread having one. We had one at work and it seemed like it was frequently announcing storms many miles away, but supposedly you can set it for just your local area...
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2008, 02:51 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

My boss has one in his office and it seems like it's always going off when he's not around. I don't know if there is a better way to set it. It's been going off warning about flood watches.
Gworker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 04:02 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I wonder if The Weather Channel has some kind of more localized alert sysem on their website that would allow you to be logged in and warning would pop-up only if alert was specific to your location...don't know, never needed something like that myself...

R
Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 04:07 PM   #4

Just checked it out, and they do have the alerts by email or text message (mobile). Go here to check it out:

The Weather Channel Alerts

That would save you from getting a radio and having it squawking all the time.

R
Old 03-22-2008, 05:37 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

We have one that goes off when the weather bureau sends out a warning. The problem like others have mentioned is when any weather related warning is issued it goes off even if it's miles from us. The past few days it's been going off with flood warnings and they do each warning separately so it goes off constantly.

I think the weather service gets just a little trigger happy with all the warnings. I'm not complaining about the service, but it gets a little much when your in the same room with the radio. I keep a mouse pad on top to tone the warning down a little since the volume control doesn't work with the alert signal.
UncleHoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 06:55 PM   #6

We have one which we love.
It is set to go off only for alerts in our county (If you live in a large county I suppose that could be an issue) and only for tornado warnings and flash flood warnings.
The biggest plus to it, is we don't see email or text messages while we sleep, but the radio alarm will definately wake us up and let us get downstairs
Old 03-22-2008, 07:07 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zathras View Post
We have one which we love.
It is set to go off only for alerts in our county (If you live in a large county I suppose that could be an issue) and only for tornado warnings and flash flood warnings.
The biggest plus to it, is we don't see email or text messages while we sleep, but the radio alarm will definately wake us up and let us get downstairs
Yeah, I guess it isn't much help if you sleep thru it. In our area, there aren't many things like this to worry about...

R
Old 03-23-2008, 07:49 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

I have one. Got it mostly to be aware of storms in the middle of the night. Tornadoes do sometimes hit when everyone is sleeping. It has gone off a few times at night to tell of a storm that won't hit for many hours, which can be quite irritating. But, will put up with that to know if a big storm is coming.
Old 03-23-2008, 09:27 PM   #9

We have one that nearly gave me a heart attack when we first got it...I hadn't "fine tuned" it yet and the %&*# thing kept going off all night with alerts for areas far from my home. And as others have pointed out, you don't want to sleep thru the alert when it's intended for your area -- so the alert signal is LOUD!

However, once I found the right frequency to tune in for my county, it's become a real comfort during tornado season.
Achiever51 is offline   Reply With Quote