Join Early Retirement Today

Wedding Rings / Bands...Do you wear yours?
Old 07-13-2018, 02:14 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

People are different, and this thread will probably show the diversity. Lots of chatter on weddings, and brides etc lately so I figured timing was appropriate.

So question is, do you wear your ring or not?

Some do, some don't. Some have a band, some have a set.
Some are gold, some are silver. Some are tattooed, some are bread-bag twisty ties.

Personally I feel naked, and a bit guilty when I don't and DW doesn't really like it if I don't. Then again there are times we don't. For instance I just broke my pinky and my ring swelled with it. I took that sucker off for breathing room. But now that swelling goes down, back on it goes.

DW is much more "expensive" but similar Value IMHO, but she takes hers off when doing dishes, baths etc. I take mine off when cranking wrenches playing ball etc.

Mine is a mixture of medals, hers is a bunch of tiny diamond surrounded by 3/4 carat. No extra engagement ring, just the wedding ring which we've been told is "different".

As for the co-eds, I realized quickly after I wed, doesn't matter if you wear one, people still flirt.

In my military days, I actually almost dated a married women until I noticed a tan line and started asking some tough questions.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2018, 02:23 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

No. I injured my ring finger several years ago. I knew it was going to swell up so I quickly took the ring off. My knuckle never went down enough after that to put it back on. I looked into having it re-sized but the cost would be more than what I paid for the ring and I find it hard to justify buying a new ring. After 34 years of marriage, does it make a difference?
Lawrencewendall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 02:23 PM   #3
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgtest View Post
So question is, do you wear your ring or not?
DW's "went missing" years ago and was not replaced. I still wear mine ( DW insists ).
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 02:23 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

DH and I both have wedding rings and anniversary rings, 40 years this year!
Wear them all the time, except at night.
Old 07-13-2018, 02:27 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I wear mine and she wears hers. With that being said I have had mine remade over time widening it and adding some small uncut diamonds. My wife also had hers remade adding 2 bands and uncut diamonds. So just like us, our rings changed a bit over time, got better!
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 02:30 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Me... more often then not.... not... it sits in DW's jewelry box. DW has hers on right now... she typically wears hers more than I wear mine. Once I put it on it will stay on until either it bugs me for some reason or I am doing a task where it would be dangerous to wear it.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 02:34 PM   #7

We were going to get married on the Greek Island of Santorini, and I had an inspiration. I ordered matching wedding rings with the Greek key design. We both still wear ours.
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 02:35 PM   #8

No engagement ring but a fabulous wedding band that I adore. I only ever wear it when going somewhere. It's a very wide "cigar band" type of ring, and I'm a little cautious because it has lots of diamonds of varying sizes and I'm fearful of losing one.

DH wears no jewelry, not even a watch. It has never bothered me that he doesn't wear a ring. I'd rather have him comfortable and happy.
Old 07-13-2018, 02:35 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Me... more often then not.... not... it sits in DW's jewelry box. DW has hers on right now... she typically wears hers more than I wear mine. Once I put it on it will stay on until either it bugs me for some reason or I am doing a task where it would be dangerous to wear it.
There's a solution for that.

https://qalo.com/
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 02:45 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Me..no...I don't care for jewelry on guys, and especially not this guy.

DW wears hers, plus ear rings/necklace.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 02:48 PM   #11

Lost my band years ago and never replaced it. It was fitted too loose and it slipped off.
I also lost my engineering iron ring. Rings/jewelry aren't for me!
The missus wears her band regularly but the engagement ring only on occasion.
Old 07-13-2018, 02:48 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I find it cuts off my circulation.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 02:55 PM   #13

My engagement ring was DHs grandmother’s ring from 1925 and I love it and always wear it. My wedding band (1976) is a very slim plain band that nestles next to it. The only time I didn’t wear the antique engagement ring is when it needed a repair. I kind of liked the plainness of just wearing the wedding band but would rather wear them together.

DHs wedding band from 1976 was lost in a field while playing catch with our son. He felt awful about losing it, we even tried a metal detector in the field but never found it. The next day he wanted to replace it. He wears that one all the time.

Our son got married in 2017 and bought his bride an engagement ring and wedding band. He wears my father’s wedding band as his own. He fiddles with it a lot but never takes it off.
Old 07-13-2018, 03:09 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

I wore a band for some years, but never liked it. Bought a different band from a young woman that worked for me. She had a number of engagement rings and wedding bands for sale from her broken engagements. I wore that band until DW said that it was OK to stop. Never did like jewelry. DW wears a simple band but the engagement ring stays in the box since she lost the diamond several times (we always found it and had it repaired).
LuckyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 03:10 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

DH and I each wear our wedding bands 24/7. My sapphire (which was quite inexpensive back in 1972) engagement ring was not designed to be worn next to a band—the stone’s setting is not high enough, so that’s in the bank vault right now. DH also wears a slender bonus band next to the original band; I gave it to him for our 25th anniversary. We don’t really have activities that would be dangerous to do wearing these plain rings, or for sure we would take them off then.
Old 07-13-2018, 03:13 PM   #16

Mine hasn't been off since the day DW put it there almost 30 years ago. She wears hers when going out of the house but takes it off at home. At the ten-year anniversary I bought a similar ring but with ten diamond chips in it and sometimes she substitutes that.
Old 07-13-2018, 03:16 PM   #17
Dryer sheet wannabe

My husband and I both wears our all the time, very simple plain gold bands. I also wear my engagement ring. Those and plain diamond stud earrings are pretty much the only jewelry I ever wear. I do take mine off when kayaking or biking, just to prevent blister/callous. I've been meaning to look into those cheap silicon ones for those situations but have figured I don't really need one.
3moreyears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 03:24 PM   #18
gone traveling

We are just 3 years into marriage so we wear ours regularly, they still fit. I see a lot of couples that are married for a long time that don’t, not sure if it’s a figment issue or the novelty has worn off. I was also lucky that my wife doesn’t care about diamonds, I’ve seen people I know spend $10,000 up to $40,000 on diamond rings, we just have 24k bands
97guns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 03:33 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

DW wears her rings as much as practical, they’re valuable (you could buy a nice new car for the same money, it was important to her, good enough for me). I don’t like wearing rings or any jewelry for that matter so I hate don’t like wearing my (relatively inexpensive) wedding band, but I do because DW pouts when I don’t. You learn to pick your battles...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 03:40 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

I usually where it when we go out somewhere unless we are going to be a bit active, such as boating etc. where it can be lost...

DW only has the engagement ring... never bought a wedding band... I have a white gold ring... I do have a gold ring that was not a wedding ring of my deceased BIL... it is nicer than my wedding but I have not yet had it resized... it is gold with 3 or 4 rows of small diamond that looks really sharp...

Both of us take them off at night... when we are on the road DW takes both and puts them in one of her bags and pulls them out in the morning unless we are hiking or doing something where they could be lost...

Also, DWs diamond it just over 1 caret and we are concerned it could be lost if doing active stuff... it cost me a bundle...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote