Join Early Retirement Today

Weird question about death certificates
Old 01-15-2020, 01:21 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Weird question about death certificates

Are death certificates only available county-by-county or is there a national list somewhere? Is the data available in real-time or close to it? If not, how much of a delay is there?

On the flip side, is there any national certificate of residence or similar that proves that I live where I say I live?

e.g. if a trust fund pays Mr. Jones $5,000 per month, how do they know if he's still around?
I'm not trying to start a scam - I'm trying to understand how to prevent one.
johnhkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-15-2020, 01:41 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

You may find this Boglehead thread interesting...

https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=229762
JustCurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 01:50 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnhkc View Post
Are death certificates only available county-by-county or is there a national list somewhere? Is the data available in real-time or close to it? If not, how much of a delay is there?

On the flip side, is there any national certificate of residence or similar that proves that I live where I say I live?

e.g. if a trust fund pays Mr. Jones $5,000 per month, how do they know if he's still around?
Don't know the answer to most of your questions, but in Illinois, death certificates are filed only in the county that the person passes away in.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 02:37 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
If a bank is paying a beneficiary it will likely stop. All mortuaries are required to report deaths to Social Security, which then compiles a database by SS number. After DH died Bank of America, where he had a small checking account, contacted me about liquidating it. I assume they tap into the SS database. The SS Death database used to be publicly available, complete with SSNs.

Guess why they had to make it private.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 03:02 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

I'm not sure about a repository other than the USPS. There are applications that scrub addresses and validate. I was always under the impression they used copies of USPS data. Pitney Bowes has a product/service called finalist that many large firms utilize. I may be wrong but I don't think those applications validate who lives at an address, only that it's a valid address. This is a free country and I don't have to live in my assigned slot. [emoji848]
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 03:06 PM   #6

Not an answer to the question, but when my mother got into her 90s, the agency paying her pension used to send her an annual "are you still alive?" letter. The required response varied, but usually amounted to having her make a phone call to verify that she was still on the right side of the grass. I wonder if this is a common practice?
Old 01-15-2020, 03:47 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Not an answer to the question, but when my mother got into her 90s, the agency paying her pension used to send her an annual "are you still alive?" letter. The required response varied, but usually amounted to having her make a phone call to verify that she was still on the right side of the grass. I wonder if this is a common practice?
I wonder what they would have done had she been incapable of calling or signing anything? I suppose her POA or guardian or whatever could have responded, but even with that, I would imagine there are some old folks with no family who are basically "wards of the state". I can't imagine that anyone would then respond or how they would even get notified. Interesting. Was this in Kentucky?
And whatever your labors and aspirations in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.- Desiderata by Max Ehrmann
MissMolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 03:49 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Our local social security office is very well managed and even personable. And they watch the local obituaries closely and make changes to their records--to stop monthly checks immediately.

They've even been known to call the family's home to verify they've got the right person's records. But don't think any $225 check will come automatically without their recieving a copy of the death certificate.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 04:06 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMolly View Post
I wonder what they would have done had she been incapable of calling or signing anything? I suppose her POA or guardian or whatever could have responded, but even with that, I would imagine there are some old folks with no family who are basically "wards of the state". I can't imagine that anyone would then respond or how they would even get notified. Interesting. Was this in Kentucky?
She was in Ohio and the pension agency was in New York.
Due to her failing eyesight, I used to make the phone call and then put her on to speak to the representative. As I recall, the notice said the payments would stop if they didn't receive a response within a certain period of time.
Old 01-15-2020, 06:00 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

My Mom's death certificate was apparently recorded by the state, not the county ("Bureau of Vital Records and Health Statistics").

I doubt there is a national list.

My Mom died on 6/6/16 and her certificate was issued on 6/9/16. Interestingly, on the website it states "Death, stillbirth/miscarriage, marriage, and divorce certificates are legally confidential in Idaho for 50 years." So you might not be able to find out by asking my state.

If you have a legitimate need and have the person's SSN, you might be able to find out via the SSA.

Proving one's address is usually done with a couple of utility bills in your name, so it's not a high bar. There is no national database that the government maintains. People can move around as often as they want.

If a trust fund is paying someone, they could do so by check. If the signature on the check doesn't match the person's known signature, then that is how they might know. Or if the pattern of check cashing changes - for example, several checks in a row go uncashed, when normally they are cashed promptly. If the trust fund is using direct deposit, then they would know if the direct deposit is rejected by the ACH system by the receiving bank because the account has been closed.

Most of the ways that a regular death would be scammed involve violating laws in some fashion, usually fraud. Many people are honest, and the ones that aren't can also be caught by banks or family members who are watching what's going on and will notice something amiss.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 06:42 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

I don’t see much if anything that would prevent someone from committing this kind of fraud if they are determined. Folks on this board just don’t think like criminals.
Old 01-16-2020, 07:51 AM   #12

after my BIL died in ‘03 i received notice from the VA within about 10-days that his benefits would stop and would i be so kind to return his benefit for the current month. i’m still getting the occasional piece of junk mail addressed to him.
Dispatcher, then shift supv, then administrator for a regional 9-1-1 call center
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 02:24 PM   #13

Some expats south of the border post in online forums about living on nothing more than SS retirement bennies.

I always wondered when one died how many of the surviving spouses didn't bother reporting the death to the local consulate so both SS benefits would continue...
ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote