Join Early Retirement Today

Well, another member getting the boot
Old 09-12-2013, 01:45 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Well, another member getting the boot

Well, I was informed that it is time for me to start looking for another job.

My boss is looking to cut overhead as times are not so good and since I have gotten my dept so efficient there is not that much for me to do..... SOOOO, I am getting the boot.

It will not be that long before he finds out why it is so efficient.... I used to do HR and he gave it to someone else. It is now in shambles. I used to do the facilities, he gave it to someone else and it is not good.

I can see where he is coming from, but it still stings a bit..... He did not give me a timeframe, but I think I got to the end of the month... The funny thing is that it is annual billing time and the new girl does not know what to do. I wish I could just move on, but I own 2% of the company... but, maybe I will do it anyhow....

Does anybody know what a solo CPA charges by the hour
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2013, 01:51 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Sorry about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
Does anybody know what a solo CPA charges by the hour
One I used recently in CA charged $195/hr.
Old 09-12-2013, 01:51 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Sorry to hear that. But been there, done that (recently), and the sting wears off after a while (mine was gone in a day).

The good news is that you have a little time to search for a job and get your financial house in better shape (although you are probably just fine already).

Good luck on the job search or whatever you decide to do.
Old 09-12-2013, 01:55 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

So sorry to hear this but one door closes, another opens, etc., etc. It is hard to believe there is any more trimming to do be done regarding staffing, after the last few years.

I am sure you will land on your feet and have the last laugh. Now go file for unemployment and figure out what you want to do.
Old 09-12-2013, 01:58 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I am sorry to hear that news. Best wishes.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 02:00 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
Sorry to hear that. But been there, done that (recently), and the sting wears off after a while (mine was gone in a day).

The good news is that you have a little time to search for a job and get your financial house in better shape (although you are probably just fine already).

Good luck on the job search or whatever you decide to do.

Yea, I read about your and was thinking that I would not want to go through it myself.... I still have about 5 years to FIRE....

But, all will be OK... If I cannot find something soon, I can do some tax work next year. Probably not my own firm, but for someone....

My big problem is that we had a huge unexpected cost for my DW teeth... total bill approaching $15,000.... and her knee operation was an additional $5,000... so, our 6 month reserve is taking a hit.... but yes, I will be fine...
Old 09-12-2013, 02:26 PM   #7

I'm so sorry this happened to you. Well, what I'm sorry about is that you're sorry. As Bestwifeever said, another door will soon swing open, and in no time at all you'll be saying that this was the best thing that ever happened to you. It still stings that it wasn't your decision. We like to be in the driver's seat!

And, it wouldn't surprise me if I joined you shortly. I really want to hang on 4 more years until DH is on Medicare, but the ledge seems to be getting slicker and slicker....
SumDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 02:31 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Wow, that sucks. You will land on your feet no problem.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 02:32 PM   #9

I'm sorry this happened in timing not of your choosing. (Sounds like if it happened five years from now you'd have been fine.)

Best wishes that you find an income stream/work scenario that works till you are ready to leave the workforce on your own terms.
rodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 02:35 PM   #10

Sorry to hear this.

omni
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 02:47 PM   #11

sorry to hear that....they going to buy you out of your 2%?
Old 09-12-2013, 02:49 PM   #12

A homebrewer buddy of mine got sent packing a couple of years ago from a job he really just barely could stand anyway. I grabbed a bottle I'd been aging and drove right over to his house and we celebrated. I said, as others have here in this thread, "you never know, this might be the best thing that ever happened to you." As it turned out, his dream job (if you can use the "j-word") was waiting. He now brews beer in batches 100 times larger than he did in his garage, drinks on the job, gets paid pretty good, goes to all of the events for free (whereas he went before, just had to pay). He's having a blast. So you never know.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 02:49 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumDay View Post
I'm so sorry this happened to you. Well, what I'm sorry about is that you're sorry. As Bestwifeever said, another door will soon swing open, and in no time at all you'll be saying that this was the best thing that ever happened to you. It still stings that it wasn't your decision. We like to be in the driver's seat!

And, it wouldn't surprise me if I joined you shortly. I really want to hang on 4 more years until DH is on Medicare, but the ledge seems to be getting slicker and slicker....
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
I'm sorry this happened in timing not of your choosing. (Sounds like if it happened five years from now you'd have been fine.)

Best wishes that you find an income stream/work scenario that works till you are ready to leave the workforce on your own terms.

Yes.... I was OK with being bored.... it is the end of the career and I do not feel like I have any dragons to slay.... since he is a type A, he just cannot understand that...

I was looking for 5, but might have gone to part time work.... I did bring it up to him, but he seemed to not like the idea....
Old 09-12-2013, 03:07 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtn View Post
sorry to hear that....they going to buy you out of your 2%?

Nope.... the shareholder agreement used to have the in it, but since the company pays 100% dividend there is not enough equity to buy anymore. It bought about 7% of the company over the years and that was all the paid in capital.... retained earnings is at $26K...

I don't care... I think the company will be turned around and I will start to get some big divided checks.... I just looked at next year forecast and he has added some sales and the projection is $7.50 per share... at just under $40 cost per share that is a good 19%.... this year is about $1.30, so not so good.....
Old 09-12-2013, 03:13 PM   #15

I am sorry to hear this news, since you weren't quite ready. My husband went through it 5 years ago, and it still stings him a bit from time to time, but you know what? Even though we were a couple of years out of our planned retirement, we've been better than just fine, like the others here.

I wish I'd had this place to turn to when it happened to us, but I didn't. I am glad there is a good support network for others.

I am starting to think that whenever someone sets his or her date, there'd better a Plan B for getting the boot up to 5 years before you expect it.
Old 09-12-2013, 03:40 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

What a shock! I am so sorry to read that this happened to you.

Sounds like you have some good ideas about what to do next. Good luck and don't stress out too much over this. It's not worth it - - just another bump in the road, and definitely you will be fine.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 03:53 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

So sorry my friend. Weird, too. You turn around various departments, and yet they kick you to the curb. Perhaps someone at your company is afraid of a clear-eyed truth-teller? People often are.

You seem confident that the boss is helping the company grow, so you will benefit via dividends...without having to work! Sweet!

The dental work sucks, too. Sympathy to your poor wife. I've been going through that. All the misery of the extended dental work itself, and then the bill is presented. Month after month after month. Aaagggh.

Amethyst
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 04:02 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Sorry to hear this. While the best way to go is on your own schedule, being forced out has a way of concentrating the mind. Take some time to chill out before you go pounding the pavement. It will do you good.

This reminds me to bring up a topic I have been wondering about. We have all secretly (or not) been plotting FIRE for years. I wonder if this shows in our w*rk and makes us more vulnerable to being given the boot?
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 04:06 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

I am very sorry to hear this Texas. Good luck in your future planning's. The two times I jumped over the cliff without a job in tow, I landed in a better situation. Stay positive and things will be just fine for you!
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 04:11 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Nothing of any particular wisdom to add, except anyone still w*rking should always have being canned in the back of their mind.

Best of luck going forward TP!

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote

« Today | Aereo TV »