Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-10-2020, 06:05 AM   #101
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We split time btwn Marin (North SF Bay) and Redwood City (South SF Bay), and the air is terrible in both locations and everywhere between. Yesterday was truly apocalyptic though, with an orange dark sky all day; I literally did not see the sun all day, and there’s ash coating everything. These pics are downtown SF @ 1030am, and Orville.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg A1469824-5C59-4BB6-8421-964A4CCBDCE7.jpeg (122.2 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpeg EC51D38C-FA88-4172-AF89-B5168BC750CB.jpeg (168.3 KB, 65 views)
Huston55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2020, 06:08 AM   #102

Huston, this is a horrible situation. Are the states mobilized completely to deal with this now?
Old 09-10-2020, 08:43 AM   #103

I just learned my cousin's vacation home at Detroit Lake in Oregon burned to the ground. Her family spent a lot of time out there, so I'm sure it will be a big loss to them. Thankfully it's not their main home.

My niece near Medford, Oregon had to evacuate her apartment due to the Almeda fire, but just heard she was able to go back home. Close call.

My sister-in-law also lives outside of Medford, Oregon. They're on the "get ready" warning, but so far their home is still safe.

My wife has a cousin up north near one of the Washington fires, but it sounds like their home is still OK at the moment.

We had blue skies yesterday, but the smoke has moved back in today. At least the strong winds have died down.
mountainsoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 12:04 PM   #104

The smoke has arrived to the Pasadena area. I cancelled my 3 mile run. Went walking in Target instead.
Mr. Tightwad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 02:15 PM   #105
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I am on the East coast but I have been watching the news and reading about these awful fires. I personally have never had a fire experience but I know it must be an awful thing to live through. I just want to tell all of you Forum members who live in the areas affected how sorry I am and that I am praying for all of you.

Is there anything any of us can do to help?
harllee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 02:32 PM   #106
Give me a forum ...

The Red Cross and the Mid-valley UnitedWay has a special accounts for donations to assist fire victims. There is also a GoFundMe account but those accounts are not a-countable, so to speak.

Most of the residents who have been burned out have modest means.

https://www.kgw.com/article/news/loc...f-7d418491d88c
Old 09-10-2020, 03:41 PM   #107
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat View Post
The Red Cross and the Mid-valley UnitedWay has a special accounts for donations to assist fire victims. There is also a GoFundMe account but those accounts are not a-countable, so to speak.

Most of the residents who have been burned out have modest means.

https://www.kgw.com/article/news/loc...f-7d418491d88c
Thank you. I will make a donation.
Old 09-10-2020, 03:53 PM   #108

When we were evacuated, the most pressing need was a decent place to stay - all nearby hotels, Airbnb etc... are booked out almost immediately. We ended up camping in the woods the first night.
The problem is not knowing how long to reserve. If the house is lost, you need long term housing fast, and that supply is even more constrained.
Again, by luck a friend was out of state and offered her place for two weeks, as it turned out, the exact time we needed. Two years later, good housing is still in short supply.
BTW, our renter insurance was very good about covering all costs including up to two years rent if needed.
bjorn2bwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 05:00 PM   #109
Give me a forum ...

Does FEMA or other agencies help with housing like they do for hurricanes--maybe some temporary trailers?
Old 09-10-2020, 05:02 PM   #110

Yesterday they closed every national forest in California. 16 of them. Today, they’ve closed every national forest in Oregon, I think. There might be one still open for now. Basically California and Oregon are closed for use.
Old 09-10-2020, 05:07 PM   #111

Here is today’s satellite image. I believe winds are shifting more northeast tomorrow. So that smoke over the ocean will be back on land. And up in Washington probably some.

IMG_0029.jpg
Old 09-10-2020, 05:34 PM   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by harllee View Post
Does FEMA or other agencies help with housing like they do for hurricanes--maybe some temporary trailers?
Yes, FEMA helps fire evacuees find housing once the proper disaster declarations are issued, but they can't do much until the fires are contained.
cathy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 05:40 PM   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by harllee View Post

Yes, but the process is not very efficient - they need to secure a suitable site with power, sewage etc.... months, not days.
They were most helpful with hazardous debris removal and site restoration.

Here, there was a use waiver where RV's could be used as a temporary residence once the lots were cleared.
bjorn2bwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 05:49 PM   #114
Give me a forum ...

The satellite is pretty good, the air here is back to brown again. Yesterday it looked like Hell. Seriously. I was waiting for flying bat winged horned demons to descend from the sky.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 06:01 PM   #115

Yea, I’m no weather forecaster. But if I lived in Washington, I’d be getting all my shopping done to pick up any essentials today. Be ready to hunker down tomorrow. And hope my home air filter is good.
Old 09-10-2020, 06:09 PM   #116
Give me a forum ...

This is a really nice set of images from last year vs. after the fire. Pull the arrows on the images from side to side. These are of Talent and Phoenix on I-5 south of Medford Oregon. Once again, proof that God hates trailers, although some nice conventional homes were also destroyed.
https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/10/us/sa...rnd/index.html
Old 09-11-2020, 11:43 AM   #117

Our sky is overcast with smoke. But on a positive note, the light is diffused and pretty nice for photography/videography.
Freedom56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 11:46 AM   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom56 View Post
Our sky is overcast with smoke. But on a positive note, the light is diffused and pretty nice for photography/videography.
I like that optimistic attitude!
Old 09-11-2020, 11:56 AM   #119
Give me a forum ...

Received an email from a friend of ours that lives in Jacksonville, OR.

Hi there. Thanks for checking on us. It is a difficult place here in the Rogue Valley at present. My wife and I, and our community of Jacksonville are untouched at present, and not under threat. But there have been many many houses and businesses lost. And most sadly, a large number of pretty large and well established mobile home parks where lots of seniors and lower income folks live have been destroyed in the small towns of Phoenix and Talent.

For at least one day there were extreme high level winds that blew relentlessly for an entire day which made the fires extremely ferocious.

Seems some better today, but the sky looks like there is extreme fog, its strange colors and the smoke smell is very powerful. Everyone encouraged to stay inside.
Old 09-11-2020, 12:14 PM   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keim View Post
I like that optimistic attitude!
Just making the best of an otherwise horrible situation.
Freedom56 is offline   Reply With Quote