Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-06-2015, 10:39 AM   #81
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Oh yeah, any stray dog. I think this is a pretty rational fear.
I think they all seem rational to the person who is afraid. I'm not afraid of stray dogs, so it doesn't seem all that rational. Actually I tend to call them and pet them, if they come to me. But I'm afraid of small enclosed spaces, so that one seems rational to me. I know people who are afraid of driving across high bridges, which seems absurd to me. But it makes perfect sense to them.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-06-2015, 11:08 AM   #82
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
I think they all seem rational to the person who is afraid. I'm not afraid of stray dogs, so it doesn't seem all that rational. Actually I tend to call them and pet them, if they come to me. But I'm afraid of small enclosed spaces, so that one seems rational to me. I know people who are afraid of driving across high bridges, which seems absurd to me. But it makes perfect sense to them.
Those are rational fears too imo--but you probably don't worry that they can smell fear and outrun you. Or maybe you do . Now that would be a great phobia for a movie.

FIL was petrified of small enclosed spaces but as a funeral director he was close to caskets and graves. He needed heavy sedation for MRIs etc.
Old 02-06-2015, 11:28 AM   #83
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
I think they all seem rational to the person who is afraid. I'm not afraid of stray dogs, so it doesn't seem all that rational... But I'm afraid of small enclosed spaces, so that one seems rational to me. I know people who are afraid of driving across high bridges, which seems absurd to me. But it makes perfect sense to them.
How does being afraid of enclosed small spaces seem rational to you?

I become anxious when driving across high (or even semi-high) bridges. Actually, a bridge of any height makes me anxious. None of this makes perfect sense to me as I realize (and understand) that almost everybody has made it across these bridges forever.
Old 02-06-2015, 11:59 AM   #84
Give me a forum ...

I walked across the Chesapeake Bay Bridge once (part of a sponsored group walk). This is a bridge many people are so afraid to drive across, they actually hire other people to drive them. I remember there were openings where you could see the water right through the span but, while careful to walk around them, I wasn't scared that I was going to slip and fall through.

Now, collections of small holes (trypophobia)...while they don't actually scare me, I find them so disturbing that I didn't dare post a link. My Mother had this phobia worse than I do...she could not stand to look at a bee's honeycomb.

Also, I cannot watch bloody/cruel scenes in movies, even though in real life, I am not scared of blood or injuries and am pretty good at first aid.I think the movie issue is that I am helpless to stop the suffering, while with first aid, at least I am doing something for the hurt person.

The human mind...what a puzzle.

Amethyst
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 04:22 PM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck View Post
I become anxious when driving across high (or even semi-high) bridges. Actually, a bridge of any height makes me anxious. None of this makes perfect sense to me as I realize (and understand) that almost everybody has made it across these bridges forever.
Well, sometimes it is perfectly rational as with the Takoma Narrows bridge. That one would scare me!
Old 02-06-2015, 04:31 PM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Well, sometimes it is perfectly rational as with the Takoma Narrows bridge. That one would scare me!
Walt, I simply can't thank you enough for the link.
Old 02-06-2015, 05:13 PM   #87

I am not ascared of bridges it's the crocs I worry about.

100_1857.jpg
Old 02-06-2015, 09:12 PM   #88

Metal grates in sidewalks. I refuse to walk on them.

Buried alive. Recent trip to Utah had us drive through a very long tunnel cut into the mountain (if I remember right it was a mile or so). There were 'windows' cut into the mountain every so often but I had to close my eyes as we went through...just typing this is making my pulse race!

This is a fairly recent thing for me. No idea what triggered it but it's bad. The thought of going through something like the Chunnel is horrifying!
Lisa99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 05:34 AM   #89
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck View Post
Mackinac Bridge - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
On September 22, 1989, Leslie Ann Pluhar died when her 1987 Yugo plunged over the 36-inch-high (91 cm) railing. A combination of high winds and excessive speed was initially blamed.[24] Later investigation showed the driver had stopped her car over the open steel grating on the bridge's span and that a gust of wind through the grating blew her vehicle off the bridge,

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 05:37 AM   #90
Give me a forum ...

Lately it has been unseen pin-point water leaks in the home's copper pipes. Sure, you can find one of them after stepping on soggy carpet when getting out of bed in the morning, but are there others lurking elsewhere or about to spring up?
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 08:34 AM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa99 View Post

Buried alive. Recent trip to Utah had us drive through a very long tunnel cut into the mountain (if I remember right it was a mile or so). There were 'windows' cut into the mountain every so often but I had to close my eyes as we went through...just typing this is making my pulse race!

This is a fairly recent thing for me. No idea what triggered it but it's bad. The thought of going through something like the Chunnel is horrifying!
when I was younger I had this fear. What 'cured' it for me was when I really went underground, as in a mine several thousand feet underground. Once I realized that there is no difference to my brain whether I'm underground 2 feet or 2000 feet, I relaxed quite a bit about that buried alive thing.

Although those windows they put in shallow tunnels do seem like they are meant just to mess with people who don't want to see how much rock is above them.

"We live the lives we lead because of the thoughts we think" ...Michael O’Neill
"We can cannot compel others to do our will" ....Norman Goldman
"There never is shortage of the gullible to accept the illogical"...Anonymous
timo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 12:14 PM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa99 View Post
Buried alive. Recent trip to Utah had us drive through a very long tunnel cut into the mountain (if I remember right it was a mile or so).
You would not like the Baltimore Harbor Tunnel. Almost a mile and a half, under water. No windows. Use I-695, Baltimore Beltway, instead.

Pennsylvania also has a bunch of tunnels bored through mountains on state routes but I don't remember any of those being near a mile though.
Old 02-07-2015, 01:52 PM   #93
Give me a forum ...

Losing my wife. She's a 10 year ovarian cancer survivor, but I'm always afraid it'll return.

For critters, snakes give me nightmares.
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 02:13 PM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash man View Post
Losing my wife. She's a 10 year ovarian cancer survivor, but I'm always afraid it'll return.
Dashman, you made me cry. Even though most of us can't understand some of the fears that people have posted; I think all of us can understand this fear.
splitwdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 06:58 PM   #95
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by timo2 View Post
when I was younger I had this fear. What 'cured' it for me was when I really went underground, as in a mine several thousand feet underground. Once I realized that there is no difference to my brain whether I'm underground 2 feet or 2000 feet, I relaxed quite a bit about that buried alive thing.

Although those windows they put in shallow tunnels do seem like they are meant just to mess with people who don't want to see how much rock is above them.
I think that's why I am not afraid of heights. Back when I was a Cub Scout we had to do some obstacle course thing that included walking across a board up on a ladder, similar to a gymnastics beam. I was afraid to do it, so my neighbor's dad (didn't have one of my own) took the board, set it on the ground, and asked me if I could walk across it then. Of course I could, so he put it back up and said it's the same thing. Made sense to my little 8 y.o. mind, so off I went. Now I'm aware of things like wind and such, but basically I can hang my toes off a ledge and no problems. DW screams at me to get away from the edge, but I laugh.

I have no fear of being underground, just in a tight enclosed space. A mine with a decent sized tunnel would be fine. A hallway that presses on my back and chest at the same time would freak me out.
Old 02-07-2015, 07:34 PM   #96
Recycles dryer sheets

I fear our present politicians, bureaucrats who work for them, and those who would vote for them. Those purporting to run this country are hardly in compliance with their oath to the Constitution.
unno2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 07:43 PM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Those pedestrians seem awful calm. Also, I can't believe it only took 40 MPH winds to take it down.
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 07:44 PM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitwdw View Post
Dashman, you made me cry. Even though most of us can't understand some of the fears that people have posted; I think all of us can understand this fear.
+1,000,000,000,000,000 and change
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote