Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-25-2009, 10:03 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I don't have a landline - what is that?
And another one you will hear -- POTS. (Plain Old Telephone Service)

"Landline" is slang for the type of telephone service we all had before Wireless (Cell) phones.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2009, 10:12 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
"Landline" is slang for the type of telephone service we all had before Wireless (Cell) phones.
I know, I was being facetious. I haven't had one in 5 years, so sometimes it's hard to imagine why one would want to be tethered to a landline - or tethered to anything for that matter, like a house.

Audrey
audreyh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 10:26 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have a landline for my dsl and long distance.
On the cell, we average less than 10 minutes a month

Why so much? ... just chatty I guess.
Old 10-26-2009, 06:51 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I know, I was being facetious.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 09:59 AM   #25

4 of us share 1500 cell phone minutes a month, and I have a landline I rarely use. I keep the landline for DSL and to fax occasionally.
KB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 01:18 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

I don't know, but I don't use many minutes at all. My very old and now extinct plan gives me a very low number of anytime minutes, perhaps 200-300. I got the plan in the summer of 2001, and in all this time have paid a total of no more than $5 over the minimum.

I used my cell phone a lot after Katrina, but Verizon gave me extra free minutes based on my New Orleans home location. So, I didn't have a high bill then, either.

Despite my low usage, I love Verizon and will probably choose to stay with them instead of going to the more economically sensible Tracphone. I admit to a struggle with my stingy inner self because it hurts my LBYM sensibilities, now that I know about Tracphones, but I can afford it. When I move north, I will have to upgrade from my current (regional) plan, to Verizon's cheapest nationwide plan which I believe is $39.95, $10 more than I currently pay.

I plan to drop my landline once we move north, and see how that goes.

Estimated average minutes: 5 minutes/month
Estimated maximum minutes, other than right after Katrina: 100 minutes/month
Estimated minutes, September 2005 (right after Katrina): 1500 minutes?

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 01:22 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

I don't have a cell and DW has a Megacorp issued one so zero. Don't even use up all the minutes on our landline.
Old 10-26-2009, 02:59 PM   #28
Gone but not forgotten

Three of us share the minutes on our Verizon plan . We don't use up all or most of the minutes because a lot of our calls are to Verizon members . I would hate to see what my long distance bill would be if I did not have that option.
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 03:17 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

I have a T-Mobile prepaid plan. Once I spent $100 on refills, my existing balance of minutes will keep rolling over for another year with another $10 per year. I still have over 1300 minutes that keep rolling over and I probably use less than 10 minutes a month on average. For someone that almost never uses a cell phone and once the initial investment is made, $10 a year to maintain service is about as good as it gets.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 03:22 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
Despite my low usage, I love Verizon and will probably choose to stay with them instead of going to the more economically sensible Tracphone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
I have a T-Mobile prepaid plan. Once I spent $100 on refills, my existing balance of minutes will keep rolling over for another year with another $10 per year. I still have over 1300 minutes that keep rolling over and I probably use less than 10 minutes a month on average. For someone that almost never uses a cell phone and once the initial investment is made, $10 a year to maintain service is about as good as it gets.
OK, or T-Mobile.... Both of these are LBYM specials!

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 04:12 PM   #31

Used to carry two cells with me at all times plus had 2 landlines in my office. Yearly bills just for this ran over $7,000++ a year. NOW I have $100 prepaid on my old cell and don't use it much at all. I'm in heaven!
Old 10-26-2009, 05:10 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

Two cell phones -- use about 600 minutes per month, almost all of it helping my mother with dementia get up and ready in the morning, get ready for bed, etc. Free minutes to others on Verizon accounts for another 500 minutes per month. Like Moemg I can't imagine my long distance bill without this feature.
FurBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 07:49 PM   #33

2 prepaid phones:

I put $40 on mine last December. Ran out a week ago.
DW got hers in June, applied $60. Some left (don't know how much).

Up here , in the frozen north, minutes paid for are NEVER lost. They expire with you.

I happen to like landlines. I have a phone for MY convenience, it rings in the house, if I'm not there unlucky. If I want have to make a call while I'm out, I can turn my cell on. I can also turn it off. Back in my working days, mega-corp wanted to supply me with a cell-phone. My response was "my staff has them, if they can't help you, neither can I".
Old 10-26-2009, 09:08 PM   #34

Quote:
I know, I was being facetious. I haven't had one in 5 years, so sometimes it's hard to imagine why one would want to be tethered to a landline - or tethered to anything for that matter, like a house.

Audrey
oh I don't know... sometimes being tethered could be fun
Old 10-27-2009, 08:02 AM   #35

Two cells that get about 150-200 minutes of use per month and a landline. Landline gets heavy use and besides, only costs about $15 per month. I consider my cell phones are for my convenience...not for other folk's convenience. If you call my cell, I may not get your message for a few days until I turn it on again. Really have cells for emergency calls, school can get in touch if sick kid, wife or I can stay in touch with home or each other. VERY few other folks even have our cell numbers....and I never put it on any form without a good reason from my viewpoint.

Call me at home, the answering machine takes good messages, and I'll get back with you when I'm ready. Just because you can dial my number doesn't mean I'm obligated to drop everything to talk. Better yet...email me, I check at least 5 times a day when home.

RE2Boys, who's had email since 1982.

BTW: Did you know that most cell carriers have an email to text message gateway?
RE2Boys is offline   Reply With Quote