What Are Your Favorite Forums?

Elbata

Full time employment: Posting here.
ER is my favorite forum, followed by The Boglehead forums. Other forums I read, but not with regularity are electrical, air-conditioning and handyman repair.

Any others here read forums other than ER?

I don't read it as much as I used to, but if you're interested in barbeque and in particular, smoking using a Weber Smoker, I highly recommend this site:

The Virtual Weber Bullet
The Virtual Weber Bullet - For the Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker smoker enthusiast

There is a web site with a lot of information and a forum with a good group of people that helped me learn to cook meat and a few other tasty items along with how to use my smoker. Can you say pulled pork and ribs :)

Bogleheads and the MMM forum. Somewhat different perspectives between those two.

I don't read it as much as I used to, but if you're interested in barbeque and in particular, smoking using a Weber Smoker, I highly recommend this site:

The Virtual Weber Bullet

And for those of us using kamado style grill/smokers (Big Green Egg is one of the most popular), I've gotten a lot of good information from the EGGhead Forum.

Also, as a fan of Apple products, I like MacRumors.

I like the Forum Romanum.

Elbata,

Those forums sound interesting. Would you mind sharing links?

ER is my favorite forum, followed by The Boglehead forums. Other forums I read, but not with regularity are electrical, air-conditioning and handyman repair.

Any others here read forums other than ER?

Besides this place I'll hang out on various sites. Reddit is probably the most frequently visited, there's various sub-forum's there with subject matter from news, finance, food, or treedibles. Today I learned (TIL) and Explain it like I'm five(explainlikeimfive) are generally interesting.

Financial Wisdom Forum
Canadian Money Forum
Various Puerto Vallarta Forums migrating to Facebook groups.

A couple of the performance and car collecting forums are my favorites, maybe PCGS coin collecting is number two and then several others (e.g. er.org) are tied for number three, etc.

I visit the Vectric Forum regularly which is about the software I use for my CNC router along with one called CAMheads which is the manufacturer of my router. I visit a few others that cover some woodworking and starting to find some laser engraving sites. I visit this forum often as well.

This forum, Bogleheads and City Data - Tampa/Retirement.

I wander around on zillow to snoop at other houses for ideas. Sometimes like Sedona AZ to see the town, or places I would like to be but will never go.
I just found Dollar Street which shows families and homes all along the income spectrum. Fascinating.
City -data to get my fill of people fighting and writing fiction for others to solve. I see why there is a no politics rule here.

A personality forum (one of the INTP forums) which is nothing to brag about. Most recently the Amazon sellers forum. Dozens of others in the past. It would be easier to mention the types of forums I never belonged to, like sports... IDK what else. I even joined a forum for mothers once.

Strike that. There used to be a paddleball forum that I belonged to and something that covered tennis on CompuServe.

And sprinting.

ER and Bogleheads are my favorites for financial planning. I also spend time on several golf, sailing, food(ie), travel/relocation, cord cutting, and automotive sites/forums. I am on forums to learn mostly. In that light- though not a forum, I use YouTube more than any single forum for non-fiction viewing. YouTube is so much more than cat videos and pop star wannabes as some may still think.

I belong to a couple of specialized art-needlework FB pages. Interesting to note: the moderator has to "approve" your joining the page. She needs to feel confident that you actually do needlework as a hobby. I was already well-known in the community going back to the 90's when it was only email lists, so got right in. Nowadays, it seems that the mods have to fend off scam artists who target sites known to be frequented by women - even though in most cases, the women are aged 50+. I gather there is a pretty aggressive contingent of foreign "suitors" for such women (meaning, for their bank accounts).

I have read Bogleheads, but I like the variety of topics here more. On FB, I am in several photography groups and two on spaceflight, especially Apollo.

ER and Bogleheads are my favorites for financial planning. I also spend time on several golf, sailing, food(ie), travel/relocation, cord cutting, and automotive sites/forums. I am on forums to learn mostly. In that light- though not a forum, I use YouTube more than any single forum for non-fiction viewing. YouTube is so much more than cat videos and pop star wannabes as some may still think.

Which golf forums?

I'm obviously the odd-ball here. THIS is the only forum I read.

What I like here, besides the great information and no politics, is a sense of community.

The same regulars with their own personalities and helpful insights. Some other forums are just too large for me.

I follow a bunch in the Feedly RSS reader but the one's I most closely monitor are ER.org and the Bike Forums 50+ subforum. On the tech side Ars and Kelly's Cool Tools are interesting as is Slashdot. I have the Bogleheads forum in my feed but the volume of posts is so large that I don't really follow it. If someone knows how to set the Bogleheads RSS feed to new topics only rather that all new posts including responses please advise. On ER.org my feed shows new topics and I get email notifications for responses on topics to which I am subscribed. I would like to do that with Bogleheads.

https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/
https://arstechnica.com/civis/
Cool Tools | Cool tools really work. A cool tool can be any book, gadget, software, video, map, hardware, material, or website that is tried and true. All reviews on this site are written by readers who have actually used the tool and others like it.

Back
Top Bottom