What are your favorite odd smells?

Texas BBQ and Im living in CA atm. Man if we had the room Id have a big old smoker with a briscuit going.

Most of the above bring back memories and I enjoy but the one I love the most is the smell of a stable first thing in the morning. The hay, the horses, the "by products", it all smells wonderful to me, guess I'm just a farm girl at heart.

The other strange one is diesel fuel, we lived near a gravel pit and had gravel trucks up and down our road for years when I was a kid.

HaHa said:
Magnolia blossoms. Honeysuckle. Night blooming jasmine. Sandalwood incense. Tide pool at low tide. A fish pulled out of cold salt water. Sea urchin eggs just when you crack off the top. Salmon roe. An oyster right off the beach on a cool day. The way a horse smells when you unsaddle him after a good ride. Fendi perfume. Any clean woman.

Sounds like a classified ad in the personal's section. :-*

Rain, fresh mown hay or grass, kitchen foods made from scratch... chili, cinnnamon rolls, Christmas Cookies by the hundreds, fresh coffee in the pre-dawn, puppy breath and a clean quiet baby to name a few. Hmmmmmmmmmm guess they are not so odd... I could add a nice barn smell after milking too!

Passing a farm field with recently spread cow manure.

The scent of a mildly sweaty woman. :smitten:

Martha said:
Sounds like a classified  ad in the personal's section.    :-*

I forgot one- the smell when you open a bee-hive on a hot day.

Of course I like all the usual ones too- baking apples, a wood fire. They just aren't as delightful to me as these others.

And as for industrial or automotive smells that many seem to like- not me!  :)

"I forgot one- the smell when you open a bee-hive on a hot day."

Lol a short checker?

- A box of crayons
- Cigarette smoke--outside only (I've never smoked, but my parents did. I can't explain why I like this smell--I do not like cigarette smoke indoors)
- Kiwi shoe polish
- Freshly opened tin of coffee

• ditto on crayons
  • ditto on fried/sauteed garlic
  • fried fish
  • nail-polish remover
  • pages of a new book
  • not so noticeable in US for me:  the smell of rain after it first hits the hot, dry ground

lots of the above.. especially leather (the leather inside new shoes!!)

For odd: I never really mind the smell of skunk, or horse manure.
I love the smell of print shops: the ink, the paper, the solvents..

Hard to think of a smell that, in and of itself, is truly "odd".

Some of the worst smells: burnt broccoli and the piece of raw chicken my dog buried that got all maggoty.

Oh that's one I forgot, saddle leather. I loved cleaning all the tack after training at the track, the leather smell mixed with the saddle soap.

ladelfina said:
the piece of raw chicken my dog buried that got all maggoty.

:dead:  ugh, I've should've known better than to open this thread while eating lunch --->chicken breast

Fresh cut hay
horses
fresh brewed coffee
magic markers
Beigel Oil
Drakkar
campfires....

Adventuregirl  8)

BUM said:
My farts!

I've noticed everyone else's stink. Isn't that remarkable?  8)

This also sounds like a personals ad. If you were a woman, I would write to you.

Ha

I like the smell of construction, especially freshly sawn lumber, but also drying plaster, curing cement.

I'm also a leather-lover. Whenever I'm in a store or market that carries leather goods, I take several deep sniffs. mmm...cowhide ::)

Of course, the MENFOLK around here are the one's to bring up gastric explosions between the legs  :p

Back
Top Bottom