Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

What are your favorite spices to use in a pumpkin pie?
Old 11-24-2021, 02:30 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

What are your favorite spices to use in a pumpkin pie?

There are a *lot* of suggestions online for what spices people use and their amounts in making a pumpkin pie or a pumpkin pie spice mix they use with many foods. I will say that I've used a pumpkin spice mix in the past (Trader Joe's) that contained lemon peel and cardamom along with cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and clove, and it was just ok.

The traditional recipes seem to call for 1 tsp of cinnamon, 1/2 tsp of ginger, and 1/4 tsp of clove per standard pumpkin pie. Some people don't like clove, so they'll add allspice and/or nutmeg instead. Some people don't like that much ginger. Others want more cinnamon in the spice ratios. Some people swear by the addition of mace with the nutmeg. Others want mace instead of nutmeg. The recipes are all over the map.

I will say I don't care for a bland pumpkin pie. I've had those. Seems they are predominately cinnamon and ginger, with a very light touch of any other spice. OTOH, some of these recipes seem heavy with clove, allspice, and/or nutmeg. Based on some smell tests, it appears that nutmeg is not very pleasing to my DW and I. Maybe it smells and tastes different once cooked.

I get that it is personal preference, but I would be grateful to hear any other recipes along with suggestions of what should be included in the spice mix and what to be careful with. Thanks.
statsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-24-2021, 03:14 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

We do the ginger, clove and nutmeg but amp up the cinnamon to 2.5 tsp per pie. Making 2 as I write this
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 03:20 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
We do the ginger, clove and nutmeg but amp up the cinnamon to 2.5 tsp per pie. Making 2 as I write this
My SIL does something similar with the cinnamon. I've actually tried to create a few mixes, but every time I add in nutmeg (small amount), something seems off when both my DW and I smell it. Funny thing is I can replace the nutmeg with mace and it smells much better. Maybe smelling a dry mix is not the same as having it cooked in a pumpkin pie.
Old 11-24-2021, 03:22 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

If I make a pumpkin pie, I tend to use regular pumpkin pie spice and add bit more cinnamon and glove because those are spices I like.
Old 11-24-2021, 03:26 PM   #5

DW makes a pumpkin pie that even this low carb guy will eat his share of.

1 part clove, 1 part nutmeg, 2 parts ginger, 4 parts cinnamon.
You decide how much to use, but here a part is between ½ and 1 tsp.

Just about any recipe you find will call for much smaller spice amounts.
Old 11-24-2021, 07:29 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I use Vietnamese cinnamon in any recipe where cinnamon is required. It's stronger and sweeter than regular (e.g. McCormicks) cassia cinnamon.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 08:22 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Just to be weird, I make mine with carrots instead of pumpkin. Just boil and mash some carrots, volume stays the same. I find it has more flavor.
justlikebike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 10:23 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Carrots seem like an intermediate step to sweet potato pie, which I adore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justlikebike View Post
Just to be weird, I make mine with carrots instead of pumpkin. Just boil and mash some carrots, volume stays the same. I find it has more flavor.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 06:07 AM   #9

I made this pie yesterday from NYT Cooking. She says to use butternut squash instead of pumpkin because the stuff in the Libby’s can isn’t really pumpkin but a different hard-to-find squash and butternut is the closest. I used a real pie pumpkin. As far as spices go, the recipe (behind a paywall) uses roughly twice the amounts on the Libby’s can, which is my rule of thumb for any recipe (twice as much). Several comments on the recipe mentioned adding a touch of mace. I haven’t cut into it yet, but it smells amazing.

GalaxyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 06:21 AM   #10
Administrator

We use sugar pumpkins from our garden to make the puree. The spices are just cinnamon, ginger and molasses. In my opinion, the key ingredient is a layer of Robertson's Shredless Marmalade spread over the blind-baked crust right before the pumpkin puree is poured in. You could also use apricot preserves, but I prefer the marmalade.
Old 11-25-2021, 07:47 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

^ My stomach just growled after reading apricot preserves.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 09:29 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyBoy View Post
I made this pie yesterday from NYT Cooking. She says to use butternut squash instead of pumpkin
The chef who creates recipes for those following the Always Hungry eating plan (bad name for a good plan, IMO) usually recommends adding some butternut squash to things like pumpkin pie. IIRC, she thinks it improves both the flavor and the texture of just about any baked good that uses pumpkin.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 10:24 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

DW has latched on to a brûléed maple bourbon pumpkin pie w chocolate crust. It has a touch of cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, allspice and salt. That’s become our once a year Thanksgiving dessert. Mmmmmmmm…

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 10:51 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
DW makes a pumpkin pie that even this low carb guy will eat his share of.

1 part clove, 1 part nutmeg, 2 parts ginger, 4 parts cinnamon.
You decide how much to use, but here a part is between ½ and 1 tsp.

Just about any recipe you find will call for much smaller spice amounts.
That works out to between 4 and 8 total tsp of spice. Most cookbooks and the Libby can end up at 1.75 total tsp.

This was the first time I ever tried using individual spices, and I ended up at 2 1/8 tsp. Cinnamon, ginger, clove, allspice, mace (1/8 tsp each of the later three). A touch more total spice than what many recipes suggest, but far less than yours.

We'll find out later today whether I need more or less spice (family likes "pumpkin" pie at Christmas also). My hunch is it will be more, but I am not so sure we'll get to a total spice of 4 tsp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyBoy View Post
As far as spices go, the recipe (behind a paywall) uses roughly twice the amounts on the Libby’s can, which is my rule of thumb for any recipe (twice as much). Several comments on the recipe mentioned adding a touch of mace. I haven’t cut into it yet, but it smells amazing.
Twice the amounts would be 3.5 tsp. That might be closer to where we'll end up. I hope you like the mace. For whatever reason, I can't get past the smell of nutmeg, but I quite like mace, despite being from the same tree.
Old 11-25-2021, 11:23 AM   #15

Add just a dash of cayenne powder too... not enough to add heat but it helps wake things up just a bit.