Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-24-2009, 11:17 AM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Alan, sorry to hear about your dad.

T-Al, do I see a unibrow on your 1982 photo, or is it my poor eyesight?

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-24-2009, 12:14 PM   #62
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Thanks everyone for your kind words.

I just got a text message from DW to say she and DS have arrived safely in Austin with DD for Christmas (I was just starting to get worried)
Alan, I missed your original post about your father. I am so sorry to hear this.
Try to remember some good times you spent with him, tell some stories, and be proud to be his son.
Old 12-24-2009, 03:26 PM   #63
Give me a forum ...

Very sorry to hear about your Dad, Alan. My sincere condolences, and best wishes for your and your family.
Old 12-24-2009, 04:07 PM   #64
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Alan, I am so very sorry to hear of your father's death. Enjoy the time with your family and have a wonderful New Year with your daughter's family.
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 04:27 PM   #65
Moderator Emeritus

Our kids and son-in-law just this minute walked in the door, so now the fun begins. Happy holidays and God bless us everyone!
Old 12-24-2009, 05:08 PM   #66
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
hope to tour the Budweiser plant.
Don't miss it -- highly recommended.

- Unibrow Al
Old 12-24-2009, 05:37 PM   #67
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Not doin' any stuff at all. Had a meetup with a 'net friend on Saturday. Can't imagine anything much worse than spending time with relatives.
Old 12-24-2009, 05:44 PM   #68
Give me a forum ...

DD just called from the airport and landed in time to make a connection despite her flight from Denver being an hour late.

She said that they are offering her a free roundtrip flight anywhere if she'll give up her seat and leave tomorrow (Christmas) morning. She said that she is tempted. Amazing how cheap frugal she is. Wonder where she got that?
Old 12-24-2009, 07:10 PM   #69
Give me a forum ...

As I had too much time on hand, I looked up the following on the Web.

A unibrow (or monobrow) is a "confluence of eyebrows"; i.e., the presence of abundant hair between the eyebrows, so that they seem to converge to form one long eyebrow. The condition of having a unibrow is synophrys.

The words unibrow and monobrow are now in the Oxford English Dictionary, and unibrow was added to the Merriam-Webster Dictionary in 2006. Medical dictionaries, such as Dorland's Medical Dictionary, now contain the word synophrys.

In some cultures, the unibrow is viewed as an attractive quality in men and women alike. In some places, it may be associated with purity...

I was tempted to add the word "synophrys" to my list of new words to learn each day, but failed to recall to memory where my existing list was kept. So, I continued to surf the Web further, and found this.

Unibrow Club - We Love Your Unibrow

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 12:32 AM   #70
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
Have to say that I don't envy you this. I guess it can either be a good or bad thing, depending on whether you were really wanting to be there or whether it was a visit of obligation. Hope it all works out for you though I think it may take me less time to fly SFO to Hong Kong that it will take you to complete your domestic trip.
Amazingly it all went smoothly. The storm held off enough that weather didn't delay the flights much (though a maintenance issue did cost us about 45 minutes on the 2nd flight) and the drive wasn't too bad.

Today the snow started falling pretty good in the afternoon but the only driving was done in town.

I guess I just got caught in a bad mood anticipating delays and possibly being one of those unlucky people trapped in an airport for the holidays, but it didn't happen and we're having a nice visit so far with the family.

Merry Christmas to all.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 01:37 AM   #71
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Alan, sorry to hear about your dad.

T-Al, do I see a unibrow on your 1982 photo, or is it my poor eyesight?
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Alan, I missed your original post about your father. I am so sorry to hear this.
Try to remember some good times you spent with him, tell some stories, and be proud to be his son.
Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Very sorry to hear about your Dad, Alan. My sincere condolences, and best wishes for your and your family.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
Alan, I am so very sorry to hear of your father's death. Enjoy the time with your family and have a wonderful New Year with your daughter's family.
Thanks everyone. It is 8:30am here at my sister's place. Breakfast and gift giving is over (She has an 11 yr old daughter). Soon we'll be off to my other sister's house where my brother plus other nieces and assorted nephews will all be gathering. It is also a White Christmas

Time to look forward and move on. Next family event to look forward to is the birth of a grandchild for my brother, due end of January.
Old 12-25-2009, 05:33 AM   #72
Moderator Emeritus

Merry Christmas, everyone!

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 08:54 AM   #73

Glad you made it safely RunningBum.

I was supposed to have dinner with daughter and her boyfriend, at his place. I'm now snowed in with my little dog - daughter's at boyfriend's place. So, making dinner for myself later.

Santa filled my daughter's Christmas stocking last night and I keep eating the candy out of it!
happy2bretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 10:29 AM   #74
Gone but not forgotten

It was raining this morning but now the sun is coming out which makes me happy since we are having a crowd at 4 and one of the tables that we use is on the deck .Merry Christmas Everyone !
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 10:45 AM   #75
Recycles dryer sheets

My two sons are here for Christmas as well as my best friend and her family. I'm roasting the turkey and setting the table. Everything smells so good!!!!
Glo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 12:31 PM   #76

We tore into the presents about 10 a.m., then went downtown to the Masonic Lodge for a nice roast beef Christmas dinner....got to visit with a lot of our friends and acquaintances there also!!! Now it's time to spend the rest of the day...maybe even the whole weekend...restin' and relaxin'!!!

Merry Christmas to all!!!

Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 03:29 PM   #77

Hey, we're having a white Christmas at the Iowa-Illinois border directly across the State from Chicago! So cool!!!!
Old 12-25-2009, 03:40 PM   #78
Give me a forum ...

Went on a 22 mile sprint ride with DD, who has lost 15 pounds and can almost beat her daddy, then turkey dinner with lots of wine and champagne.
Old 12-25-2009, 04:12 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
Hey, we're having a white Christmas at the Iowa-Illinois border directly across the State from Chicago! So cool!!!!
The 3" of snow that had been on the ground, was all gone when I got up this morning...amazing what nearly 3" of rain can do to that white stuff! And the sun was even out a little bit today!!! However, it started snowing a couple of hours ago, 90 miles straight east of ya on I-80, and it looks like we're gonna have that 3" of white stuff back before long! But, hey....I don't care, I ain't got nowhere pressing to go, so.....let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!!!
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 05:50 PM   #80
Give me a forum ...

Nearly a foot of snow here, so we've postponed Christmas dinner til tomorrow even though pretty much everyone lives within 2 miles of each other. I-80 closed this afternoon west of Lincoln.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote