Join Early Retirement Today

What are your plans for Christmas?
Old 12-20-2009, 08:19 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

What are your plans for Christmas?

With Christmas almost upon us, just wondering what everyone has planned. Whatever it may be, I hope that you get to spend the time in a manner you enjoy with people you like.

For us, we managed to score some frequent flyer flights at the last minute so will be flying to Hong Kong on Thursday on Cathay in First Class for a grand total of $250. We will have a week touring HK and Macau. We are both excited.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-20-2009, 08:57 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

We will be with Frank's big extended family here in New Orleans. About 30 will dine together on Christmas Eve at a New Orleans Sicilian restaurant that is owned by a close friend of the family, where the food is out of this world. If there is a heaven, and if I go there, I will eat in that restaurant every night without gaining weight (but that will never happen in THIS world! So I am trying to eat very lightly all week). This has become my favorite part of Christmas, here in New Orleans.

Then on Christmas Day we will get together with the family again to exchange presents and enjoy the usual Christmas Day festivities. More fantastic food, more temptation, and lots of family members of all ages and kiddies running around. We plan to leave early and enjoy the evening together.

Sounds like you are looking forward to your trip, Dangermouse!! Have fun in Hong Kong and Macau.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 09:17 PM   #3

Christmas Eve and Christmas Day will both be spent here at home mostly....in peace and quiet. Probably watch a few Christmas specials on TV....maybe an old movie or two....listen to some nice Christmas music....etc. All in all, it's just time for us to kick back and relax, and enjoy all that this holiday season has to offer.

The only exception to the above, is that at noon on Christmas Day we'll go downtown to the Masonic Lodge for their annual community dinner. We've been going there for about the last 10 or 11 years. It's a nice time to visit with old friends, and meet new folks as well....and to enjoy a very nice dinner, with no dishes to wash afterwards! It's open to everyone, free of charge, whether rich or poor, old or young, solo or with a whole herd of kin in tow.
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 09:41 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'm going to be naughty or nice...haven't decided yet....

Have a wonderful, safe trip DM!
Old 12-20-2009, 10:29 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

Going to DH's parents' house for Christmas, then visiting his grandparents.

This year I proactively gave my in-laws a list of things I wanted: a couple of books, socks, and mousetraps. I don't know why, but I'm kinda excited about the gifts, especially mousetraps!

Happy holidays, everyone!
GoodSense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 12:53 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
I'm going to be naughty or nice...haven't decided yet....

Have a wonderful, safe trip DM!
Hey, bbbamI, Santa is checking his list, twice; and he'll wave at DM flying in the opposite direction.

We're doing exactly the same dinner as Thanksgiving, turkey with simple side dishes & pies, then going out to see the decorations.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 03:25 AM   #7

I like DM's plans better than mine. I fly out tomorrow for FL. Will spend Christmas with my cousin and some friends. I like to walk the beach and reflect a bit on Christmas morning. I return to the frozen tundra the second week of January but do have a trip planned the second week in Feb. to visit friends in Houston for a week. Merry Christmas and a Happy and Healthy 2010, All!
WhoDaresWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 04:46 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

dh2b and I are spending it together, just us two. Peace and quiet.
I plan to order 2 steamed lobsters, some shrimp cocktail and/or scampi and scallops, served cruise line style.
Do a formal table setting, meal served in several courses, nice uniform , etc etc.
You can't buy THAT in a store.
Old 12-21-2009, 05:41 AM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

Traditionally, I host a dinner for my family on Christmas Eve. But since some of the family members are going to be out-of-town this year, we did that early this year. This means SO and I have Christmas Eve and Christmas Day all to ourselves, which we are kind of excited about.

We have dinner reservations on Christmas Eve; after dinner we'll drive around and look at decorations. We'll most likely just hang out at home on Christmas Day.
ksr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 05:51 AM   #10

I just bought a small Hormel spiral cut ham, so we are having dinner at home; and, since I just love to cook, am planning a really good one for just my mother, son and I. Did some light decorating already.
Usual exchange of gifts; but I did rent a Simpson's Christmas movie from Netflix to entertain us. Figure we can eat and watch Homer and Marge Simpson and get a few laughs in this holiday.
Old 12-21-2009, 06:23 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

On the 24th, dinner with immediate family with Santa coming to drop off the gifts for the little ones later in the evening. On the 25th, 12-hour marathon dinner with extended family.
FIREd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 07:08 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

One thing I will not be doing is running up my electricity bill, like this person.

How much you want to bet this homeowner is retired?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg XmasHouseDeltaTerrace09.jpg (451.3 KB, 2 views)
Old 12-21-2009, 07:09 AM   #13
Gone but not forgotten

Christmas Eve mass and then out to dinner . Christmas Day I have sixteen of the extended family coming for dinner . I serve it buffet style with several tables including one on the deck overlooking the water . Ham ,shrimp , scalloped potatoes , pineapple stuffing , salad,rolls , hors d 'oeuvres and plenty of desserts.
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 07:39 AM   #14

I have volunteered to w*rk take up space at office on Christmas Eve since DBF will be skiing with a buddy who has the day off. Odds are good it will be an early release day anyway! Quiet dinner (Italian food!) with DBF that evening. Christmas day will be spent with his family (as usual!) with the usual slew of extended family - lots of good food and more fun for me than him (hey, they are not my relatives; I like most of them!) His little nieces think we are cool, so they are good for amusement!
Old 12-21-2009, 07:42 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Merry Christmas

Together for the Holidays.JPG
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 08:57 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

We will be spending Christmas Eve at my DH daughter and son-in-law's. They became first time parents three weeks ago when they adopted our beautiful new granddaughter. She is now 5 weeks old and they don't want to get her out and about just yet. We will be having just appetizers and exchanging gifts. The best gift is the new baby!

I am cooking dinner on Christmas Day for my son and his girlfriend, and my DH's Mother. We are having turkey and all the trimmings.

This will be a special Christmas for all of us. My son has recovered from the bacterial meningitus that he contracted in August and our new granddaughter is the icing on the cake of life.
Cruisinthru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 07:12 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Ham ,shrimp , scalloped potatoes , pineapple stuffing , salad,rolls , hors d 'oeuvres and plenty of desserts.
I have never heard of pineapple stuffing. Can you share the recipe, please? My son loves stuffing.

We will go to church on Christmas Eve and then my son and his girlfriend will come for dinner on Christmas Day. I will be having a ham dinner. This will be the smallest number of people on Christmas Day in years. There are normally at least 14 people that get together and now there will only be 4. My DD and her family moved to CA, my step-father died, and my niece is expecting her first baby 1/4/10 and so my sister and her family are going to VA to spend Christmas with her.

Cruisinthru,

I agree that babies are the best gifts. Enjoy your new grandbaby.
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 07:29 PM   #18
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
I have never heard of pineapple stuffing. Can you share the recipe, please? My son loves stuffing.

Here is the recipe . It is a pretty sweet stuffing but it goes great with ham .

1/2 cup butter
1 cup sugar
4 eggs well beaten
1 can crushed pineapple
5 slices of white bread

Beat sugar & butter til fluffy . Add eggs and pineapple and mix well . Add bread pieces and mix . Place in two quart casserole and bake at 350 for 1 hour until the top is slightly brown .
Old 12-21-2009, 07:31 PM   #19
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisinthru View Post
. The best gift is the new baby!

. My son has recovered from the bacterial meningitus that he contracted in August and our new granddaughter is the icing on the cake of life.

I think you got two great gifts ! Happy Holidays !
Old 12-21-2009, 07:39 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks for the good wishes! Yes , we know we are really blessed this year.

We have Christmas all about complete. All the gifts wrapped and the menu is planned. All of us are healthy! What more could we ask for. Maybe, world peace?

Merry Christams everyone!
Cruisinthru is offline   Reply With Quote