What Billionaires Drive

To summarize, if you are a software founder (except Steve Ballmer) or a Prince, your car is BLING! Everyone else on their list has normal cars.

a few weeks back south florida news stations reported on a $1.4 million bugatti on display here. the miami dealership reportedly took 10 orders of the total 300 to be built (downpayment $400k each). 1000 ponies. 0-60 in 2.5 seconds. with all the traffic here i'm not sure where they think they are going but wow, they're gonna catch up to that car in the traffic in front of them really fast (and in great style).

Zero to three in 0.1 seconds. Sweet. How's that three to zero braking distance? :D

I'm impressed that anyone can even MAKE a street-ready car that can do 0-60 in 2.5 seconds. Seems to me that once you get to a certain amount of power, there's just simply no way to keep it from breaking traction and just spinning the wheels. And as a result not going anywhere.

Andre1969 said:
I'm impressed that anyone can even MAKE a street-ready car that can do 0-60 in 2.5 seconds.  Seems to me that once you get to a certain amount of power, there's just simply no way to keep it from breaking traction and just spinning the wheels.  And as a result not going anywhere.
I couldn't handle the g forces. I wonder when drivers are going to have to start wearing flight suits & cervical supports to maintain consciousness while avoiding broken bones...

Nords said:
I couldn't handle the g forces. I wonder when drivers are going to have to start wearing flight suits & cervical supports to maintain consciousness while avoiding broken bones...

Isn't 0 to 60 mph in 2.5 seconds only equal to 1.09 g's? And the addition of the 1 g downwards vector force with the 1.09 g backwards vector force is only 1.48 g's. So you might feel ~75-100 pounds heavier (48% heavier) or so when you hit the throttle. These calcs assume linear acceleration.

justin said:
Isn't 0 to 60 mph in 2.5 seconds only equal to 1.09 g's?  And the addition of the 1 g downwards vector force with the 1.09 g backwards vector force is only 1.48 g's.  So you might feel ~75-100 pounds heavier (48% heavier) or so when you hit the throttle.  These calcs assume linear acceleration. 

Umm...English please. :D

justin said:
Isn't 0 to 60 mph in 2.5 seconds only equal to 1.09 g's?  And the addition of the 1 g downwards vector force with the 1.09 g backwards vector force is only 1.48 g's.  So you might feel ~75-100 pounds heavier (48% heavier) or so when you hit the throttle.  These calcs assume linear acceleration. 
Jay_Gatsby said:
Umm...English please. :D
I'm talking about that initial (non-linear!) shoveback that gives hemorrhoids to jet aviators...

The only problem with 0 to 60 in 2.5 seconds is that it frequently results in 0 to crashing into something in 2.2 seconds...

Nords -- I was kidding.  I understood exactly what you wrote. ;)

It's interesting to note that the founder of IKEA still drives a 12-13 year old Volvo.  Although this somewhat sounds like the Millionaire Next Door syndrome, I think he probably just looks at his car as transportation.  As long as it runs, why bother replacing it.  Think about it this way.  Once you're worth a billion dollars, do you really need to prove ANYTHING to other people?  Will a flashy car change people's opinions of you?  I doubt it, simply because everyone already knows you're a billionaire.

Personally, I think it's more impressive that he doesn't care what he drives.  That type of emotional detachment from material possessions demonstrates a practical and rationale mindset, which is exactly what you want in a leader.

Jay_Gatsby said:
As long as it runs, why bother replacing it.
As long as it runs, that's less hassle than obtaining a replacement.

And lately it's a comfort not to have to learn all the new bells, buzzers, & buttons.

Maybe we have the wrong approach. Kissinger didn't care what car he owned as long as his driver was happy. And he didn't even know where he lived, as long as his driver could get him there...

I remember there was this roller coaster at Six Flags America in Maryland called the Joker's Jinx, that would shoot you from 0-70 in someting like 4 seconds. That was enough to give me a headache, and give me that pinned-back-in-your-seat feel.

I'd hate to think of something that could launch that fast or faster in the hands of the typical American driver! :eek:

Andre1969 said:
I remember there was this roller coaster at Six Flags America in Maryland called the Joker's Jinx, that would shoot you from 0-70 in someting like 4 seconds.  That was enough to give me a headache, and give me that pinned-back-in-your-seat feel. 

I'd hate to think of something that could launch that fast or faster in the hands of the typical American driver!  :eek:

You mean the typical American driver with too much credit (note, I said credit, not actual money) than good sense?

Nords said:
I'm talking about that initial (non-linear!) shoveback that gives hemorrhoids to jet aviators...

Jerk.

No, I'm not calling you names. That's the name of the rate of change of acceleration that you're talking about (the change from sitting there to being shoved back).

"The submarine has the capacity to sleep eight for up to two weeks underwater."
I think that's on the inside of the submarine.

BFD-- I wouldn't pay extra for this. But I'd hate to see how Allen disciplines his wayward crew.

Back
Top Bottom