Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-20-2011, 07:28 PM   #181
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Late breakfast: yogurt with probiotics (delicious)

Late lunch: Warm potato salad with boiled small baby white potatoes, cut up with chives from the garden and a dab of organic mayonnaise, served with sauteed mushrooms, ham and garlic, no sauce required, and a glass of red wine. Mmmmmmm!

I have a new Blackberry Torch but it did not occur to me to take a picture LOL!
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2011, 03:57 AM   #182
Full time employment: Posting here.

Breakfast at 8 am: slices of mango, orange and a few grapes. 3 pieces of plain egg cake and black coffee. Added a bit too much sugar in the coffee but consider it still within my consumption limit. Had half a glass of cold orange juice to start the bowels moving (too much info?)

Lunch - 3 plates of sushi and one california hand roll, green tea

Tea 3 pieces of roast chicken breast

Dinner and Supper yet to be feasted on....
Moscyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 06:17 PM   #183
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Breakfast: asparagus sauteed with bacon
Lunch: Apple
Supper: Refrigerator stew
Old 05-21-2011, 06:30 PM   #184
Moderator Emeritus

Today for lunch, we each ordered the soup and salad combo but we selected different soups.

The first soup photo is mine, the famous/infamous shrimp and corn chowder that I raved about on an earlier thread. Actually, in the photo I notice that actually it bears an uncanny resemblance to vomit. The smell is so good and the taste so heavenly that I guess they overpower the rather blah look. It really IS divine but that just doesn't come across in the photo.

Then the salad photo - - sorry but I had already eaten a couple of bites before I thought to get my iPhone camera out.

The last soup photo is F.'s seafood gumbo. His salad looked just like mine.

Price has gone up - - $8.95 for the combo, plus we each had iced tea plus the tip. Not an especially frugal lunch but a very pleasant atmosphere.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ShirmpCornChowder.jpg (16.7 KB, 129 views)
File Type: jpg salad.jpg (22.4 KB, 127 views)
File Type: jpg gumbo.jpg (16.3 KB, 129 views)

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 04:52 PM   #185
Gone but not forgotten

Tonight for dinner we had cioppino . It is Rachel Ray's recipe which always turns out great . We have it with crusty bread and it is great !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tm1b36_cioppino1_lg.jpg (189.9 KB, 0 views)
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 05:10 PM   #186
Moderator Emeritus

I was curious about the cioppino recipe, and here it is! Straight from Rachel Ray as you said.

Cioppino: A Fine Kettle of Fish Recipe : Rachael Ray : Food Network

Old 05-22-2011, 05:17 PM   #187
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I was curious about the cioppino recipe, and here it is! Straight from Rachel Ray as you said.

Cioppino: A Fine Kettle of Fish Recipe : Rachael Ray : Food Network

Yes, I love Rachel Ray's recipes they are easy and good . Mine looked exactly like hers except I add more shrimp and scallops and skip the cod . I also use half chicken broth and half clam broth and I always get rave reviews . You should make it for Frank !
Old 05-22-2011, 05:28 PM   #188
Moderator Emeritus

He says, "Why? We can always go to (unnamed great local restaurant). And I agree. I really enjoy going out to lunch with him. And I really have very little desire to try to out-cook some of the best chefs in the world.

If you feel like it, you should post a photo of your own version of it next time, so we can see what it really looks like, too! Rachel Raye's commercial photo of her cioppino maybe doesn't look as real and yummy as yours might, IMO.

Old 05-22-2011, 05:41 PM   #189
Full time employment: Posting here.

Made tuna salad and pulled chicken. Have enough pulled chicken left for a few meals this week... which will include bbq chicken pizza and some baked potatoes with bbq chicken for sure.
Webzter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 05:50 PM   #190
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
If you feel like it, you should post a photo of your own version of it next time, so we can see what it really looks like, too! Rachel Raye's commercial photo of her cioppino maybe doesn't look as real and yummy as yours might, IMO.

All I have is a picture of our leftovers so here it is ! Besides isn't a way to a man's heart through his stomach & other organs ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 005.jpg (525.2 KB, 1 views)
Old 05-22-2011, 06:20 PM   #191
Moderator Emeritus

Looks WONDERFUL, Moemg! You are really talented. And I think yours looks better than Rachel Raye's, for sure!

Old 05-22-2011, 06:59 PM   #192
Give me a forum ...

The first offical grill session happened today - Mr B defrosted 2 NY strip steaks and applied a dry marinade made by one of his Portuguese (as in born in Portugal) friends from MA. The dry marinade consists of sea salt, bay leaf, and garlic. NY strip is not always the tenderest cut, but this was unbelievable. Wow!
I made fresh carrots with butter, dill, fresh ground tricolor peppercorns
and a little water, cooked slow for 3 hours in the crockpot.
We are going to experiment with a minor diet change, cutting our carbs in half and eating more veggies. We will still eat some carbs, but not at every dinner meal.
He is under doctors orders to improve his diet, and losing a few pounds won't hurt me a bit. I am happy to report I have lost 5 pounds since my highest winter weight.
Old 05-23-2011, 06:22 PM   #193
Moderator Emeritus

I can't match the photos above, but DW just prepared a great dinner of salmon, baby potatoes, carrots and a dinner salad. Washed it down with a light Kolsch.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 06:40 PM   #194

Made my Mom's homemade spaghetti sauce (YUM!) and served it with a new recipe for cauliflower that I tried (see below). Wow, is that easy and tasty!

Roasted Garlic Cauliflower Recipe - Allrecipes.com

(55, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 59. FIRED 12/31/19!)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 09:16 PM   #195
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Tonight for dinner we had cioppino . It is Rachel Ray's recipe which always turns out great . We have it with crusty bread and it is great !
Moe, is this a picture of your actual pot of cioppino? It looks wonderful!

Ha
Old 05-23-2011, 09:18 PM   #196
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Besides isn't a way to a man's heart through his stomach & other organs ?
I'd say you have a lock on your man's heart. Lucky Dude.

Ha
Old 05-23-2011, 09:33 PM   #197
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Moe, is this a picture of your actual pot of cioppino? It looks wonderful!

Ha

Thanks Ha ! You can see my actual leftover picture . It always turns out great but I make it because it requires a few anchovies to season the pot and I get to indulge in the rest while sipping wine and making dinner .
Old 05-24-2011, 02:38 PM   #198
Give me a forum ...

I had 3 cups of decaf coffee with extra milk and sugar, a fresh pear, a fresh apple, and a handful of cheddar cheese flavored miniature rice cakes.
Mr B had an apple and is snacking on potato chips until dinner is ready.

Dinner will be shrimp with Dinosaur BBQ chipotle garlic dipping sauce, and asparagus sauteed in olive oil and fresh minced garlic. We will be oozing garlic fumes for quite a while.
Old 05-24-2011, 03:30 PM   #199
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Breakfast: Oatmeal with raisins. Coffee later at work.

Lunch: Went to Catfish King & ordered the "Special Catch" which consists of 4 pcs. of fish (fried) 3 hushpuppies, fries, a salad and cole slaw. Oh yeah...a cup of pinto beans too. You make your own salad, and I always get 1/2 plate of salad & a good portion of cole slaw. I only ate a few of the fries...since I'm watching my figure....!

Dinner'Supper: Too early to tell, but probably not much since I ate such a big lunch! If anything...probably just some soup.
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 03:38 PM   #200
Moderator Emeritus

Breakfast: coffee and fresh sugarfree creamer
Lunch: cup of seafood gumbo and shared an order of "Colossal Onion Rings" with Cajun spicy dip
Dinner: Haven't decided. Last night white Basmati rice from my new rice cooker, with rotisserie chicken breast, Creole/Italian sauce.