What Did You Eat Today?

Had a great dinner today. Grilled some filets from a nice walleye I caught the other day, and topped/basted it with a mix of chopped pecans, chives from the garden, olive oil, and a little bit of orange juice (recipe I found online). For the sides, we had Thai Corn Cakes with spicy peanut sauce, and a bunch of sliced garden tomatoes and cucumbers. Washed it down with a glass or two of Merlot. Man, that was tasty! We don't always put in this much effort, but we both felt like cooking up something special tonight.

Breakfast: Some "healthy" cereal, but I forgot the name...lol

Lunch: BBQ brisket, baked beans, potato salad, Texas toast, iced tea.

Later: Large Mt. Dew and a corn dog from Dairy Queen! A few cashews.

Breakfast: two mugs of coffee with milk, Greek yogurt with fresh raspberries and blackberries
Lunch: home made vegetable soup with mushrooms, red onions and spinach, chicken stock and a little seasoning, and a bagel sandwich with butter lettuce, tomato and goats' cheese with cranberries
Dinner: cod with herbs, steamed broccoli and fresh asparagus, and a glass of See Ya Later Chardonnay (2010) www.sylranch.com Dog lovers, check it out!

Life is good!

Last edited:
Salmon patties and eggs for breakfast, and for dinner 10 hours later salmon steak and spinach.

WHen I eat low carb I really never get hungry, for if I go too long I start to get a bit light headed and stupid. That happened tonight while I was at Trader Joe, but I already had my fresh fish so I headed right home and cooked it and ate. I feel kind of stuffed, but I will recover.

I am having some Chicken Cacciatore simmering on the stove, waiting for my wife to return from her visit to my father-in-law.

It has been a while since I made this dish. Not trusting my memory, I looked up the recipe on the Web, and found one by Giada De Lorentiis. She calls for capers. Hmm.... I never used capers (from another recipe), but decided to try it this time. My little jar of capers in the fridge looks a bit old, but smells and tastes OK. If I do not post, you know something will have happened.

To borrow a link from the Web, it looks like this.

hunters-chicken.jpg

Last edited:
Breakfast: coffee, muesli with two chopped up plums and milk

Lunch: spinach salad from hospital cafeteria (quite good actually)

Dinner: baked cod, squash, cherry tomatoes and mushrooms sauted in raspberry vinaigrette, glass of local merlot

Cod and muesli were not local......

:)

Last edited:
Breakfast: 2 pkgs of apple & cinnamon instant oatmeal, 6 oz. 2% milk

Lunch: Met a friend at Chili's & had 1/2 turkey club sandwich & a bowl of baked potato soup.

Dinner: Just some snack stuff I shouldn't have had. A small chocolate shake from Sonic and then 3 smallish pieces of sopapilla cheesecake that a friend made. mmm...oh yeah, and a glass of 2% milk! :)

Fish, shellfish, and greens.

Ha

I am having some Chicken Cacciatore simmering on the stove, waiting for my wife to return from her visit to my father-in-law.

It has been a while since I made this dish. Not trusting my memory, I looked up the recipe on the Web, and found one by Giada De Lorentiis. She calls for capers. Hmm.... I never used capers (from another recipe), but decided to try it this time. My little jar of capers in the fridge looks a bit old, but smells and tastes OK. If I do not post, you know something will have happened.

To borrow a link from the Web, it looks like this.

hunters-chicken.jpg

Giata can cook for me anytime...

Breakfast: three eggs, one slice of whole wheat toast with butter
Lunch: two hotdogs on whole wheat heels, jalapeno-flavored kettle chips
Dinner: seered-tuna and wine :cool:

I didn't eat much today. It's too darn hot (currently 80F in the apartment - about 10F beyond my comfort zone- and about as high as outside). Drank a lot of cold beverages and ate some salad tonight (greens, sauteed chicken, roasted potatoes, cucumbers, olives). Now I am going out for some frozen yogurt.

Giada can cook for me anytime...

What are you talking about? :confused:

Giada is so cute, I would cook for her, even if she is going to spit it out and say it's bad.

I didn't eat much today. It's too darn hot (currently 80F in the apartment - about 10F beyond my comfort zone- and about as high as outside).

I take it that the building does not have AC? I would rush out to get a portable free-standing unit, whose air outlet hose is installed in 15 min. Or does your landlord prohibit that?

PS. Giada was right. Chicken Cacciatore tastes better with capers. Since I was not sure, I used only half the amount that she specifies. Now, I am curious. Do most Italians have capers in this dish or not? Off to research on the Web...

Last edited:
I take it that the building does not have AC? I would rush out to get a portable free-standing unit, whose air outlet hose is installed in 15 min. Or does your landlord prohibit that?

No AC except in the lobby. Portable AC units are expressly verboten.

Damn! I would move.

Oatmeal with skim milk for breakfast.

A hamburger for lunch at a local restaurant. This was very old fashioned type of hamburger. By that I mean that small/modest size, not greasy at all, and fresh, natural ingredients. Like your mama used to make, most likely.

Sausage and seafood gumbo for dinner.

Last edited:
Very little gear. If you have a couple of stainless stew pots and a long spoon, you've got 80% of the equipment needed.

The hard part is finding the raw milk, since it's illegal to sell in most states. There are ways to get around that, such as the herdshare (cowshare) type programs that some states allow. You essentially buy a percentage of a cow, and your monthly payment goes to its upkeep. That entitles you to show up at the farm on a regular basis to collect "your" milk.

In your case, you're extremely lucky because Washington permits the sale of raw milk for human consumption.

It's perfectly possible to make cheese from supermarket milk, but any European will tell you that raw milk cheese (like raw milk itself, for drinking) is a completely different thing, and far superior.

If you're interested, a good place to start searching for milk is:
Where can I find Real Milk?

A good place to start learning about cheesemaking is:
New England Cheesemaking

I've been making cheese in my kitchen for 15 years, and I can attest that it's a great hobby.

Made me look :cool: .....here is a farm very close to me.
Greyrock Farm About -

I dabbled with simple cheese (soft and semisoft) and yogurt making many years ago. I think I will make some yogurt this winter while the blizzards roar. Fresh homemade yogurt is unbelievable and very LBYM on a cost basis compared to grocery store priced yogurt. I mix chopped up canned fruit into the plain yogurt for a real feast.

I have not had dinner yet, but just finish making French onion soup. I suddenly have a craving for this soup, and just have to have some. No Gruyere cheese in the house, nor the right bowl to bake the cheese on top, but it will have to do. If it was not a spur-of-the-moment thing, I would have spent time to make a good beef broth from bones instead of using canned broth, but perhaps next time...

Frozen pizza from Costco is also baking in the oven. I am hungry.

Breakfast: Corn Flakes
Lunch: 1/2 lb cheeseburger, fries, iced tea
Dinner: Undecided...

Other: So far this evening, 2 shots of Patron ;)

Edit: 6 or 8 shots

Last edited:
DW just came home from a trip to the Far East and has a craving for a juicy burger. So that's what I am making. I bought a hunk of grass fed beef at the farmers market yesterday and I will grind it myself.

I have not had dinner yet, but just finish making French onion soup. I suddenly have a craving for this soup, and just have to have some. No Gruyere cheese in the house, nor the right bowl to bake the cheese on top, but it will have to do. If it was not a spur-of-the-moment thing, I would have spent time to make a good beef broth from bones instead of using canned broth, but perhaps next time...

A great French onion soup is one of those things that makes it good to be alive :D - I have never made it from scratch (my eyes are always peeled for it on the menu at restaurants, though) but I think I have a little more time now...

It must be that time of year for the things you make in a big pot: there's a beef stew simmering over here that's smelling better and better!

Breakfast was a piece of toast with peanut butter and this evening some venison sausage, a small baked potato and some sweet and sour pickled red cabbage.

Breakfast was two mugs of coffee and a bowl of muesli. Evening meal was a delicious stew of pork chops, spinach, cherry tomatoes, baby russet potatoes, red and yellow peppers, with a little tomato sauce, that I made yesterday in my slow cooker, served on steamed yam slices. The slow cooker ($10) is a great way to make nutritious meals and use up leftovers!

Ham, yams, spinach and a wonderful plum sauce which I made from fresh plums, brown sugar and a spoonful of red wine. I am clearing out the fridge and haven't had to shop all week.

I had some chili tonight. I made it last week and I wasn't too sure if I liked this batch. It was missing something. So I hydrated some dry chipotle chills and added them to the chili. Seeds and all. It was just what that dish needed. Got a good sweat going while eating it.

Back
Top Bottom