Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-25-2019, 03:24 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
It's not as if at 24 I was this one kind of person, and at 27 I became someone completely different! I certainly know and understand a lot more than I did at age 10, but I think I was almost exactly the same, otherwise.
Not I. I used to think so though. I remember some years ago thinking that I was basically the same person I had been when I was 12. I mean, more mature, and stuff. But, essentially, the same. I think it is seeing my adult children (in their 20s) that has helped me to see that that isn't true. I am fundamentally different in many, many ways. Not all ways. But I am more different now than I am similar to how I was then.

But I think when we talk about someone losing or finding themselves, that is talk about something different. I think I changed. The "me" that exists now is in many ways a different person than the "me" who existed then. But, I don't want to find that person. This one is better.

The "losing" and "finding" I think refer to different things. When someone lives a life that doesn't align with their fundamental values then I would consider that "losing" oneself. I saw someone a few years ago really try to make herself into what a particular guy wanted. But -- what he wanted wasn't in alignment with her values. She was not herself for that period of time. No, she didn't think she was pretending. She thought she had changed. But, really she hadn't. She was adrift from what she really thought and believed. When she woke up, I could think of that is finding herself.

Another one I think is when someone isn't sure what they want to do. They are adrift in a different way. Ping ponging for this to that, and not really stopping and figuring out what they really want, what is really important to them. That is someone who has not yet found themselves.
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

What do people mean by "losing" or "finding" themselves?
Old 12-27-2019, 05:03 PM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

What do people mean by "losing" or "finding" themselves?

[attach]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1226.JPG (133.2 KB, 49 views)
KrisQuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 05:25 PM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Yeah, that's good!

When you stop living the way you've been told is "right" and go your own way because it fits you.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 05:26 PM   #44
Administrator

I must admit that I have difficulty with the concept of losing and finding one's self. I have always thought that, at any particular moment, I am exactly who I choose to be.

Often, when someone is busted for committing a crime, you will hear them say "that's not the real me." Well, yes, it is. At the time you committed the crime, the real you was a criminal. You now may be dedicated to becoming a better person, and eventually you may be that better person, but you committed the crime, not someone else.

While I have never committed a crime, I have had occasion to regret who I was. And I have worked hard to evolve into the person I wanted to be. But there was no losing or finding involved, just a choice.
Old 12-27-2019, 05:32 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Those people should find themselves in jail eh?
Old 12-27-2019, 06:20 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
I must admit that I have difficulty with the concept of losing and finding one's self. I have always thought that, at any particular moment, I am exactly who I choose to be.

Often, when someone is busted for committing a crime, you will hear them say "that's not the real me." Well, yes, it is. At the time you committed the crime, the real you was a criminal. You now may be dedicated to becoming a better person, and eventually you may be that better person, but you committed the crime, not someone else.

While I have never committed a crime, I have had occasion to regret who I was. And I have worked hard to evolve into the person I wanted to be. But there was no losing or finding involved, just a choice.
I agree with all that.

I guess a lot of this is just semantics, but when posters get into stories of people with addiction issues, that just seems a very long way from most of the talk about "finding" or "losing" yourself, or "not knowing who I am".

And if you find yourself in a position that restricts you, and doesn't allow you the freedom to "be yourself", that also seems very different to me. So while I was stuck in some boring, unproductive meeting at work, and really wanted to be a rock star, I didn't "lose myself", or need help "finding myself". I was an engineer, working to provide for my family. I knew I couldn't do that as a rock star. As Gumby says, that was my choice, one based on reality, not fantasy.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 06:30 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Every day here I read tales of the multitudes eager to retire from their soul killing dilbert-esqe evil "megacorps"

Yup, just doing what they have to do. But wait. Why not go work for a small co where you really are a person? I know the dough ain't as good.

So there. Millions of people lost in megacorps of their own choice.
Old 12-27-2019, 07:40 PM   #48
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
Those people should find themselves in jail eh?
Based on my experience at the Recovery Center many do.
Keim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 08:06 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Every day here I read tales of the multitudes eager to retire from their soul killing dilbert-esqe evil "megacorps"

Yup, just doing what they have to do. But wait. Why not go work for a small co where you really are a person? I know the dough ain't as good.

On a case-by-case basis maybe, but frankly someone has to do those soul-killing jobs, and the wherewithal to choose differently is not easily obtainable for many.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 08:03 PM   #50
Full time employment: Posting here.

"losing" themselves - the feeling that you do not have a purpose or meaningful goal

"finding" themselves - realizing that you have a purpose/goal
imnontrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 09:23 PM   #51

This reminds me of the quote from Vonnegut's protagonist in Mother Night, who is an American on Nazi propoganda radio who is "actually" an American spy (Howard Campbell--I may forget the exact name), but that "identity" doesn't work out after the collapse of Hitler since he isn't recognized by the US as their "agent."

The quote: "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." I read this in high school, along with God Bless You, Mr Rosewater and Cats Cradle, but the quote made a lasting impact.
It is possible that we lose who we are when we pretend, passively or actively, to be what we are not.
To OP:

I suspect the original might be a person who is in the process of redefining him/herself--whether externally, financially or psychologically--in reaction to their former familiar, cultural, or personal social "identity".
As a person who seemed self-consciously and in perpetuity redefining myself, it doesn't seem to apply to me, but I defined myself pretty much in opposition to my circumstances, even though I thought my parents to be fine people (and still do--we just didn't see "eye to eye," religiously or on many other things). And, yes, people who know my father and grandfather see strikingly similar personality characteristics to myself, so I'm not completely clear that the putative redefinition "took," completely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
As an elongation of Nietzsche's "When you look into an abyss, the abyss also looks into you", is it unfeasible to imagine that, when you're putting on an act, that the act is also 'putting on you'?

Me? I dunno...I'm like Popeye....a herbaceous tuber....."I Yam What I Yam".
RobLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 05:08 AM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Yet another one of this type of post on FB...mystifying me yet again.

"Of all the roads she's traveled, the journey back to herself was the most magnificent."

What do people mean by words like this? What does "losing yourself" or "finding yourself" mean?

Actually, I've wondered about this all my life. While I don't always like everything about myself, and certainly haven't liked some of the situations I've found myself in - I never felt as if I didn't know exactly who I was. The whole idea, to me, is weird.

Is it just some coded reference to addiction and recovery?
Many things in FB are pretty solipsistic. Or maybe my boomer is showing...
PoorOldCountryBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 05:24 AM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorOldCountryBoy View Post
Many things in FB are pretty solipsistic. Or maybe my boomer is showing...
No, it isn't. You are fine, Boomer. It is a common complaint by all generations, believe it or not.

BTW, thank you for giving me a word of the day. Had to look it up. It describes FB pretty well.

JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 06:03 AM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

To borrow from the thread, I did leave the soul-killing megacorp to find myself. It was disappointing to find out that I was not a good entrepreneur as I had hoped to be.

In finding myself, I lost quite a bit of money. I could have "found myself" while twiddling thumbs at megacorp, and kept the pay, and the pension, and the 401k.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 05:23 PM   #55
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckelly78z View Post
If you have ever been to the mountains and felt like I did, the following song applies to a greatly to this thread;

Rocky Mountain High
John Denver
He was born in the summer of his 27th year
Coming home to a place he'd never been before
He left yesterday behind him, you might say he was born again
You might say he found a key for every door
When he first came to the mountains his life was far away
On the road and hanging by a song
But the string's already broken and he doesn't really care
. . .
I love John Denver. I understand what he is saying because I've lived it. I recently moved from the ski area that I lived at since college (I'm an old woman now.), but my soul will always be in the mountains. (And yes, I do know who I am.)
thank you for posting this song.
SkisALot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 05:26 AM   #56

I gave up on trying to add anything about being lost, because I guess I never really have been. I totally get the mountain thing though, as my tag line says:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1263FB 2.jpg (645.8 KB, 9 views)
Old 01-05-2020, 05:59 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by ER Eddie View Post
People have a lot of ways of estranging themselves from how they really think and feel, or what they really want or prefer. The list of defenses against internal discomfort (which can come from recognition of these thoughts/feelings/desires) is a mile long. By engaging, usually unconsciously, in those defenses, people become estranged from themselves, i.e., from what they really feel, think, want, like, prefer, etc. They lose touch with it.

It's a complex subject. There are many, many ways to lose touch with who you are. It's not always defense. Sometimes it's idealization, i.e., imagining yourself to be better than you really are. Sometimes it's simple busyness and distraction or a chronic external focus. Sometimes it's lack of self-awareness. Sometimes it's about trying to shape yourself for others.
But, Eddie, most here on this forum seem to be fully aware that the way they "really think and feel" differs from the way they have to act. That gap seems to be behind a large number of FIRE stories (the oft-described "BS Bucket." In many cases in the workplace it's a healthy, conscious decision to PRETEND we are on board with the latest system change at the same time we are telling our families what a crock it is. It's frustrating to act differently than we feel like acting, but it is a prudent, rational decision, particularly when we remind ourselves that the matter isn't life and death and that we do not have enough control of various kinds to assert our own wishes.

Roxana, the harem girl in Montesquieu's novel Persian Letters writes
Quote:
No: I have lived in slavery, and yet always retained my freedom: I have remodeled your laws upon those of nature; and my mind has always maintained its independence. ...
Well, her next step was suicide, but that distinction between mind and body was important back in the Enlightenment.

As for me, I wasn't lost, but FIRE allowed me to catch up with myself.

Tags
finding yourself, identity, losing yourself, woo woo