What do you like on the tube?

I glance at whatever my spouse is watching while I sit next to her and read. She uses headphones but lately she's been leaving on the captioning so that I don't have to entertain her by making up my own dialogue.

Hey, Martha, she tapes eight hours of HGTV almost daily and then fast-forwards through it for the good stuff, which is promptly added to my Honey-Do list.

You're welcome, Greg.

REWahoo! said:
Once, just once, I want the buyers to turn to the RE agent at the end of the show and say "Never mind. They're all just too damned expensive." :-\
That would be "Buy Me", which has all the edginess implied by the veiled epithet of its title. I have no idea where they find their wackos, or indeed that there are so many of them...

My TV watching has gone down a lot since I live alone. First I had a billing dispute with DTV, so I went back to my rooftop antenna. It had a motor, and I got several Seattle stations, one in Bellingham, and a couple from BC. Then a storm blew some shakes off my roof, and I got a new steel roof. The roofer told me that the bird poop from birds perching on that big antenna would not be great for my roof, so I just left it off, figuring I would put a new one on a mast in the yard.

But every time I start to do the work, I remember visiting my Dad after he retired, and how depressing it seemed to hear that damn TV all the time. So I mostly watch at other people's houses, or at the Eagles or a sports bar.

At home at night, I read, or practice drumming, or look for investment ideas on the internet. It probably takes me 3x as long to learn a new rhythm as it would take a talented 14 year old, so this occupies a lot of time. At times I go to bed and find myself tapping out the beats on my tummy while waiting to fall asleep.

Also, I find that after I finish up dinner and chores, I am really looking forward to have some time to read. Mainly geo-politics and investment related books, but also some good fiction and biography.

Still, I gotta have my Sopranos. Whack!

Ha

smj99 said:
No one has yet mentioned Fox's "Prison Break". I can't believe I'm hooked on that show and haven't found anyone else yet who has even seen it.

I'm a big fan of that show too.

HaHa said:
Still, I gotta have my Sopranos. Whack!
I watch very little TV, but a while back a friend gave us the DVDs for the first few seasons of Sopranos (we don't get HBO or any cable).  Man, don't watch that show if you are on the Atkins diet.  After watching a few episodes, my DW and I were both craving nice pasta with some good Italian Red! 

Papi said:
I watch very little TV, but a while back a friend gave us the DVDs for the first few seasons of Sopranos (we don't get HBO or any cable).  Man, don't watch that show if you are on the Atkins diet.  After watching a few episodes, my DW and I were both craving nice pasta with some good Italian Red! 

I get yor drift. Still, Tony and the boys are a good advertisement for Atkins. Satriale's isnt the only pork around there.

Ha

We're not retired, but we watch ..

Stargate SG1, Stargate Atlantis, Battlestar Galactica, Monk. We've also become fans of the Travel Channel -- No Reservations, Taste of America, Flight Atendants School

News, documentaries, and home building/renovation shows (agree that they are oddly addictive).

Bpp

HGTV, Food Channel, The Amazing Race, Survivor, Desperate Housewives, Grey's Anatomy , Sixty Minutes, Dateline.

The Amazing Race is one of my favorite shows and since it has moved to Wednesday nights, I have missed the last 2 episodes due to Disciple Class. I keep forgetting to tape it.

Dreamer

I record a lot o stuff, but since the weather is finally nice here...I delete a lot of it too.

What I do watch is:

All the CSIs
American Idol
Survivor
NBA games - playoffs are on now so I have them on in the background while reading

In the winter I listen to CNN during the day, especially on rainy days.

"Buy Me" takes place in Canada. The houses seem so expensive to me, but maybe they're talking Canadian dollars? Does anyone know?

HaHa said:
Must go with the love of gold, 'cause I hate those shows too. :) Although I think they might be useful for someone more involved than I am in real estate.

Ha

I decided that I watch primarily because of voyeuristic tendencies. I like looking at where people live and how they live. I especially like the shows which illustrate people's messy disorganized lives. I grew up in a family that was very, very messy, disorganized, and our home easily slipped into filthy. No one cleaned in my family unless I made them do so, and a kid is not very good at making anyone do anything. So I tried to do it all myself. For a while I became kind of obsessive about neat and clean. I have relaxed over the years and now our home is kind of cluttered and messy. But not dirty.

Martha said:
I decided that I watch primarily because of voyeuristic tendencies.  I like looking at where people live and how they live.  I especially like the shows which illustrate people's messy disorganized lives.  I grew up in a family that was very, very messy, disorganized, and our home easily slipped into filthy.   No one cleaned in my family unless I made them do so, and a kid is not very good at making anyone do anything.  So I tried to do it all myself.  For a while I became kind of obsessive about neat and clean.  I have relaxed over the years and now our home is kind of cluttered and messy.  But not dirty. 

I hear you. My mother couldn't clean a plate, let alone a house. Luckily Dad got her some help. But I must have inherited the hillbilly gene, because I am not good at keeping anything beyond my body clean. I did really well when my kids were home, with the help of a very competent wife.

I consider being a really bad housekeeper like I am a true flaw and I hope to do better. I may start by getting a dumpster and just throw things out into it until I feel better.

Part of the problem is that I hate to do things that don’t either bring me pleasure or bring me money. I need to study up on the 7 deadly sins again.

Ha

No Reservations, cooks tour, mythbusters, robot chicken, boston legal, house, ncis, the original CSI, law and order, survivor, sopranos, nip/tuck, rescue me, stargate atlantis, battlestar galactica, lost, good eats, chef at home, I shouldn't be alive and house detectives.

Tivo is our friend :p

I watched a half an episode of "prison break". When I figured out that they'd never get out, cuz that would end the show (or at least make them change the name), I turned it off.

Cute Fuzzy Bunny said:
I watched a half an episode of "prison break". When I figured out that they'd never get out, cuz that would end the show (or at least make them change the name), I turned it off.

It's funny you don't feel the same way about "Lost". Once they are found, the show is over. :D

justin said:
It's funny you don't feel the same way about "Lost".  Once they are found, the show is over.   :D
If that was going to happen then the show wouldn't be named "Lost"-- it'd be named "To Be Found Someday".

They're all going to die on that island-- right after the Hawaii government and the production-industry unions milk every last dollar of revenue enhancement out of them!

Imus in the Morning
Sopranos
Bill Mahr
Fox News
The Unit
History Channel
Dirty Jobs

It's funny you don't feel the same way about "Lost". Once they are found, the show is over.

Hey, Gilligan's Island still had reunion specials back at the island after they were found....they even turned it into a resort…

Boston Legal
Criminal Minds
HGTV
Discovery/ Discovery Science
Football/ Baseball/ Tennis

justin said:
It's funny you don't feel the same way about "Lost". Once they are found, the show is over. :D

Nah, its all an illusion in hurleys comatose mind. It can go on for years. See "gilligans island".

So who is the maryanne and who is the ginger?

Lots of HBO including:
Deadwood (new season starts in June!)
Big Love (could Bruce Dern be any creepier?)
Sopranos
Rome (don't know if it's coming back)

Watched both episodes of "Elizabeth 1" on HBO. Good but gory. And if you have a chance to see "Warm Springs" about FDR, watch it. Really well done.

CNN, CNBC, old movies on TCM, and if I want to zone-out I watch the Weather Channel maps in motion (Local on the 8s).

Yah! Deadwood! I forgot about that one.

I really like that f*cking show. ;)

To tell you the truth, I can't hardly stand any of it. Hate reality shows. Stopped watching the network news (local or national) and talking head shows several years ago. Can't stand CNN. Fox is ok if I need a news fix. Used to listen to talk radio, but even that got old.

Turn the TV on about 8:30 or 9:00 and flip thru the channels. Very rarely is there anything worth watching, besides an occasional movie. Got worn out on HGTV when we were remodelling our house.

Look at the pc screen more than the boob tube. Not sure that's really much healthier (exepting this site of course)...

Back
Top Bottom