Join Early Retirement Today

What do you pay for a haircut?
Old 12-26-2007, 10:34 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

What do you pay for a haircut?

I don't get them as frequently as I used to when I worked and had to look presentable every day, but it's still an expense (until I can talk my wife into doing it).

Basic haircut where I go runs the equivalent of $4 USD or an annual outlay of $48 (one cut per month).

What do you pay / budget for haircuts (if you still bother to get them)?

Trek is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-26-2007, 10:40 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

$15 per cut plus $5 tip...about 4x a year. Enjoy the company of my "stylist" more than the experience itself!

BF shaves the "dome" daily, so razors run him some $$ - probably $20/mo (?)....doing it yourself does not always save $$$
Old 12-26-2007, 10:42 AM   #3

$45 every 6 months....enjoy the company of my stylist as well!
Used to get two $500 treatments per year for hair straightening....I bought a conair straightener/dryer for $40 instead!
citrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 10:45 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

I married my "barber" 24 yrs ago, so nada!
SHe does a passable job, plus I get to drink a beer & watch the game while she snips.
I don't know what a shop charges around here, but I figure at $10/per, I've saved about $2500.
Old 12-26-2007, 10:46 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

I Pay...

...$17.50, including a tip, for my haircuts. I get one about every 6 weeks. I was one of the first customers this hair stylist had when she got in the business about 20 years ago. Since then, she's changed employers several times, and about ten years ago branched out on her own (she works out of her house now). She still only charges me $10, the same amount she did for my first haircut way back then. I voluntarily give her more. I do get special treatment, like first choice of dates for a hair appointment, and if there is some emergency, she will cut my hair whenever I need it (she now only works on Saturdays and Tuesdays). The other advantage is she and her husband live in our neighborhood, so I can walk to my appointments (once my hip heals, I'll be back to walking ). We are actually friends.
Old 12-26-2007, 10:49 AM   #6

Wife uses clippers on me so free minus the cost of the clippers. When I let my hair go longer I spend about 13 to get it cut.
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 10:55 AM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

About $10 to $12 with a $3 tip.... maybe 4 to 5 times a year.
Texas Proud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 11:04 AM   #8

I pay $12.50 plus a tip, about once a month. It's worth $12.50 just for the jokes and the local gossip. My barber seems to know everyone and is always a good source for the lowest prices on anything you can imagine.

He even has a website.

HOME
UncleHoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 11:07 AM   #9

$11.00 and $2.00 tip, about 17 times a year.
cantlogin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 11:18 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

I bought a set of clippers ($15) about 4-5 years ago and have done it myself since then. It was $11+$2 tip when I quit paying.
Old 12-26-2007, 11:34 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

zilch or a bunch, depending on how having a live-in barber is viewed. As i see it having my own on-site barber is a positive. Tangential benefits.
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 11:45 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by citrine View Post
$45 every 6 months....
Same here for the last year or two. The salon is close to home and I can walk to it. Lately, I've been thinking that's too much money.

A couple of years ago, I would go to the cosmetology school and get it done for $5 a cut + $3 tip. But they were only open weekdays so it was a hassle. They had also increased their price to $7, last time I checked.

I am thinking of growing my hair long and not having it cut until I visit the Philippines. SIL there cuts hair and is so happy to get 300 pesos from me, equivalent of about $5 to $6.
flipstress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 11:59 AM   #13
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
I don't remember...
Old 12-26-2007, 12:08 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

In summer I buzz it with my own clippers. #3 comb. Fall and other colder months I pay $17 plus tip. I really would like to find a better barber/stylist, but I won't pay more than $20. When you are older a good haircut just like a close shave helps your appearance a lot. I try to go 5-6 weeks between cuts, though in summer I do it maybe weekly.

Ha
Old 12-26-2007, 12:33 PM   #15
Gone but not forgotten

I go every six weeks for a cut and color touch up $72.00. It's one of the things I won't scrimp on .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 12:35 PM   #16

$17 + $6 tip

although I just "cheated" and got a haircut while on vacation. It appears that haircuts are THE ONLY thing cheaper in Hawaii
saluki9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 12:38 PM   #17

Zip, zero, nada......nuttin' honey!

Cut it myself and have for 30+ years!

VaCollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 12:49 PM   #18

about $23 including 20% tip each month in this high rent district. i consider it less a haircut and more a grey hair removal process. no dye, just clipping. either the salt grows faster than the pepper or i simply liked my hair longer when it was less salty. i rationalize the short hair by thinking it is better for driving with the top down.

i've been going to the same barber for almost 20 years.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 12:52 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Wife does it so no additional costs.
Old 12-26-2007, 01:16 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

$15 plus tip. Been going to the same guy over 30 years. Classic one-man shop complete with mens magazines on the magazine rack, beer in the fridge you're welcome to help yourself to and guys hanging around shooting the bull. I'm sure DW would do it for me if I asked, but somehow I don't think it would be the same.