what do you pay for corned beef?

for those of you that make your own homemade corned beef, which cut of meat do you use? I would like to try and make it. thanks

Most people use the flat. The point is fattier, but you could use that if it's your preference. Good either way.

I bought my corned beef at Costco. It was $2.77 a lb. I put it in the freezer for later in the year.

It is labeled flat cut choice corned beef brisket.

DW bought a chunk at Costco. Unfortunately we opened the package and discarded it so only have the receipt...$10.94 w/o lbs . Also no description of cut on receipt. It was the worst corned beef I can remember.......attribute it to the lack of fat......couldn't barely cut it w/ a steak knife but edible after cut into small pieces. Hope yours is better; perhaps the freezing/thawing will tenderize it.

DW bought a chunk at Costco. Unfortunately we opened the package and discarded it so only have the receipt...$10.94 w/o lbs . Also no description of cut on receipt. It was the worst corned beef I can remember.......attribute it to the lack of fat......couldn't barely cut it w/ a steak knife but edible after cut into small pieces. Hope yours is better; perhaps the freezing/thawing will tenderize it.

We just bought some at Costco, haven't had it yet. It was 3.99 per pound.

What I was fascinated by is they had the regular cook it yourself, which DW bought, and then the already cooked microwave only one, which if DW wasn't around I would have bought. I'm a incompetent cook, but I could microwave. They has samples of the microwave one, and it tasted fine, especially for what it was.

+1, the whole Irish American St Patrick's Day is bizarre to me. I always get asked why I'm not wearing any green, but being English I feel that to appropriate any bit of Irishness would be just another insult. I'll drink to Micheal Collins etc because I admire their fight, but I'm not Irish.

Okay, but I don't know why you would feel like anyone thinks you should join in, and doubtful that anyone would consider it an insult if you did. Perhaps the people asking you about wearing green are just making small talk about the day.

The St Patrick's Day parades in the USA go way back--a little explanation is here--with more interesting links within it imo. First St. Patrick’s Day parade - Mar 17, 1762 - HISTORY.com Even Richard Kimball joined in the Chicago parade, in the movie The Fugitive :LOL:

Last edited:
Okay, but I don't know why you would feel like anyone thinks you should join in, and doubtful that anyone would consider it an insult if you did. Perhaps the people asking you about wearing green are just making small talk about the day.
Could be the name. When I was a wee lad all the nuns were Irish, we all learned catechism with an accent. :)

for those of you that make your own homemade corned beef, which cut of meat do you use? I would like to try and make it. thanks

Brisket, I imagine. That's certainly the "flat" cut in my package.

The first one Costco I cooked a couple of weeks ago had a nice layer of fatback on it. It took 90 mins in the instant pot, and was nice and tender even though not quite falling apart. Just right for me, as I was able to slice it thin rather than have it fall apart.

My only complaint was the instant pot didn't draw out enough salt. It was too salty. So I'll soak the next one in a couple of changes of water first.

Last year I also did a Costco corned beef, this time in the crockpot. And I soaked it in fresh water first. The saltiness was much improved.

According to a Web site, the main difference between the point and flat cuts is that the latter when sliced stays together for a better presentation. If one makes a harsh for example, then it does not matter.

...At first I'm thinking - don't be cheap, get the higher priced stuff. But then I figured why, I bet the $2 is good too. So I bought it, served it last night and it was great...

A Web site says availability of the flat cut (the more expensive) is better in grocery stores than the less expensive point cut. It is the reverse of what I would assume. Could it be because they use all the cheaper point cuts to make harsh?

Anyway, my grocery store has plenty of both cuts. I looked and saw that the flats were indeed all flat, but not all the point cuts were pointed. Hmmm...

So, as frugal as I am, I picked a point cut piece that looked as flat as any flat pieces. Did they mispackage one? Who knows? I am usually not that picky, but people here make me more conscious about the cuts.

62 posts about the price of corned beef? This is why I love this forum....:D

I don't care how much it costs, I look for one that has a good amount of marble in the meat.

:

My Irish American friends are the ones that used to ask me about wearing green and why I'm not actively celebrating the day. In the British Isles the Irish celebrate St. Patrick's Day, the Scot's, St Andrdew's, the Welsh, St. David's Day and the English, St. George's Day. Celebrating of someone else's national day just isn't a thing, in fact it would be weird and a bit of an insult, particularly between the English and the Irish with the history.....of course the "Everyone's Irish on St. Patrick's Day" is a marketing thing to sell Guinness etc.

Last edited:
No need to make it fancy; hash is good enough.
We like to serve it with the slices intact, like slices of turkey breast or baked ham.

I don't care how much it costs, I look for one that has a good amount of marble in the meat.
Then, the point cut should work better. I cannot really tell the difference, but then I am not that discriminating.

62 posts about the price of corned beef? This is why I love this forum....:D
It is not all about the price. We discussed different cuts, BBQ, pastrami making, Irish traditions, history, the correct abbreviation for Patrick, beer, all kinds of other subjects.

Last edited:
My Irish American friends are the ones that used to ask me about wearing green and why I'm not actively celebrating the day. In the British Isles the Irish celebrate St. Patrick's Day, the Scot's, St Andrdew's, the Welsh, St. David's Day and the English, St. George's Day. Celebrating of someone else's national day just isn't a thing, in fact it would be weird and a bit of an insult, particularly between the English and the Irish with the history.....of course the "Everyone's Irish on St. Patrick's Day" is a marketing thing to sell Guinness etc.

I think your Irish-American friends need to back off. There should be no pressure to celebrate anything that isn't meaningful to you.

I completely forgot today was St Patrick's Day, so I'll say $0. Though the roast beef I slow cooked yesterday by complete coincidence was free. The cabbage I tossed in with it was $0.60 for a few pounds.

This probably explains why the cabbage was so cheap.

A little brisketology for those wanting to make their own corned beef, pastrami or BBQ brisket...

Corned beef normally comes from the brisket. A 'packer brisket' weighs around 12-18 lbs and has two loosely connected muscles - the point and the flat. The point contains much more marbling so the yield of good edible meat is lower, thus the lower price. All the marbling helps make it juicier though and is the source for the awesome 'burnt ends' when doing low and slow BBQ. It's also good for hash as noted above. The flat is the flat muscle, much less marbling but allows for nice slicing. It can get dried out easily if you're not careful.

When doing BBQ I like to do the whole packer separating the point and flat when it hits about 160 degrees. I then wrap in foil for a couple hours to hold the moisture as it continues to slow cook until about 195 degrees. Wrap and rest for an hour or so then time to chow. Lot's of good BBQ forums on the interwebs for those interested. Amazing ribs (linked to above) has great info as does bbq-brethren and smokingmeatforums

Now just hoping it warms up a little so I can soak and then smoke those CB flats I bought... Never made it to the boil after smoking step - too busy eating it.

corned beef and cabbage tonight at club for $12

pints of guiness are $4 and jameson is $5

+1, the whole Irish American St Patrick's Day is bizarre to me. I always get asked why I'm not wearing any green, ...

Being Irish myself, I would never think to make corned beef and cabbage, which is an American invention. I'm celebrating St. Patrick's Day next week by having some friends over and I am making Irish stew, with lamb. I'm going to leave out the potatoes and serve the stew with colcannon. Our appetizer will be smoked salmon on Irish soda bread.

Beannachtaí Lá Fhéile Phádraig daoibh go léir!

Is Corned Beef Really Irish? | Arts & Culture | Smithsonian

I'm pretty sure (or at least hope!) that most Americans realize that our Saint Paddy's Day (I did it right that time?) celebrations are an American thing, like "Chop Suey" isn't Chinese. I also think it's just friendly small talk, ease up and just go with the flow (or is that "When in Rome..."?).

I'm trying to recall the meals I had in my short stay on business in Ireland (which I enjoyed very much) - salmon definitely, and I think stew-type dishes. Hmm, I love a good lamb stew, but DW doesn't see the cut she used in the stores anymore. It may have been neck bones? Rack of lamb, chops, and 'roast' (I guess that's the leg?), and sometimes shank are readily available.

The St Patrick's Day parades in the USA go way back--a little explanation is here--with more interesting links within it imo. First St. Patrick’s Day parade - Mar 17, 1762 - HISTORY.com Even Richard Kimball joined in the Chicago parade, in the movie The Fugitive :LOL:

Hah! I forgot about that scene in "The Fugitive". We watch it every few years when it comes on. In addition to the "fun" of trying to identify the Chicago locations, an acquaintance of ours was an actor, (or maybe still is, he moved away and we lost touch?) and had a small role in the movie, but in one short scene, his face is full screen. He plays a tough Chicago cop, which he pulls off, and it's funny because he's a real gentle-bear kind of guy. And it really is a great movie, that stands up to multiple watchings, IMO.

-ERD50

I think lamb shoulder is the cut usually used for lamb stew. I see it in the grocery stores occasionally.

Flat cut, on sale, $2.99/lb. I just had my DNA analyzed on Ancestry and found out I am 2% Irish!:D

We'll be in the British Isles next month. I'll try not to make any faux pas and insult anyone by discussing cultural issues.

Enough.

Back
Top Bottom