Join Early Retirement Today

Re: What do you put in your coffee?
Old 01-31-2007, 03:00 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Dood
or is it pretty much interchangeable everywhere?
They all sound OK to me.
Non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-31-2007, 03:36 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
Hey, those guys are selling more over the Internet than they ever did from the highway!

My personal addiction is Kauai Coffee Company, although you gotta love the swap meet underdog image of the Badass Coffee boys...

We're mailing my nephew the Army Ranger his final shipment of kona & macadamia to get him through his last episode of West Point's Dark Ages. Only 109 days left!
I've actually had the kauai coffee, it was very good! There is this chain of stores in my 'hood called Cost Plus World Market, we get all our wine and coffee from them (and some of our furniture!). They have a breakfast blend that is amazing.

We use my Christmas present now, it's a Cuisinart drip maker that grinds the beans right before the brew. The coffee definitely doesn't need cream or sugar now, but I do add a little creamer (see above).

Anyone roast their own?
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 03:52 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence

Anyone roast their own?
We're still talking coffee here, right?

Old 01-31-2007, 03:54 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Not roll their own....
Old 01-31-2007, 04:12 PM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

Black with nothing or Black with Honey. Sometimes it's even Buckwheat Honey.

BRuce
Old 01-31-2007, 04:33 PM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

If the coffee is good...Black!
If the coffee is not so good...Black!
If the coffee is horrible...Black!

Did I mention I prefer my coffee Black?
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 05:09 PM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I load mine up with International Delight French Vanilla. If that isn't available I can go with half and half or heavy cream I also like milk shakes.

Stealing the thread, I also like green tea - better on the ole digestive tract. I heard Don & Mike (radio show) raving about Starbuck's peppermint syrup in green tea so I boght a bottle from my local joint (they didn't have teh little foo-foo bottles so they sold me a jug of the stuff for $9 - great deal). Green tea with peppermint syrup is grrrrreat!

I am stil cold turjey on chocolate -- balance in everything.
Old 01-31-2007, 05:15 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

At home: I stir in 1/3 cup nonfat dry milk and a splash of sugar free, zero calorie chocolate syrup.

Elsewhere, if it is decent coffee: I drink it black with no sweetener. Or, if it is listed as cafe au lait then I order it that way (like with beignets and such).

Elsewhere, if it is really bad: I stir in half and half (or creamer), and Equal (lots of both).

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 05:20 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

I heard the navy guys dont think it tastes right after retirement unless its got a pinch of salt in it.

Lots of cream, lots of sugar, lots of extra coffee.

Anyone else notice that dunkin donuts now sells online? If you buy regularly, they give a discount and if you buy a lot at once (say enough for 2 months) the shipping fees are somewhat mitigated. I think i'm paying about $5.50 a lb for the stuff and its an actual 16 ounce pound!

Maybe not the best coffee on the planet, but I drank a shitload of it when i lived back east and it tastes like home.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 05:28 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

It's darn good coffee, I'll have to check that out.
Old 01-31-2007, 05:50 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Consumer reports rated it in their top 5 during the last test a couple of years ago, but only the pre-ground stuff. Curiously, the whole bean rated poorly. In a similar test run by Americas Test Kitchen, they gave the whole bean stuff two thumbs down for having too many "quakers" in the bag. Apparently DD does a better job of quaker removal when making the ground stuff than the whole bean.

ATK determined that there was a direct correlation between how many "quakers" were in each sample of coffee and how good it was...fewer quakers, better coffee.

“Quaker” is coffee-industry jargon for an underdeveloped coffee bean that fails to get sorted out before the roasting stage. Lighter in color, and less dense than a regular, mature bean, quakers can wreak havoc on the coffee's flavor profile, imparting a spoiled taste to the brew. In general, the better the coffee did in the taste testing, the fewer quakers beans were in the bag.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10928519/

Anyhow, if you sign up for the automatic delivery, they give a 20% discount. It costs me about $8.xx to ship four (actual 16oz) pounds. They have specials a couple of times a year for additional discounts. The bags are well enough sealed to still have good aroma and flavor after two months, and we drink about 2lbs a month, so we went with 4lbs every other month automatic.

I think it beats the crap out of most of the supermarket stuff and for a substantially lower price.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 01-31-2007, 05:53 PM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Hmmm, but the grinder is really fun! If I buy pre-ground I don't get to scare the cats!!
Old 01-31-2007, 05:54 PM   #33

Peet's coffee is my favorite!

hey, even oprah recommends it

oh, and i have a burrrrr grinder..so loud but great!

i like lots of cream or milk, lots of sugar - even if it's great coffee! i love cream and sugar!!!!

i put cream and sugar in my tea too - english style...
Old 01-31-2007, 06:01 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Hmmm, but the grinder is really fun! If I buy pre-ground I don't get to scare the cats!!
Buy pre-ground and put some dry popcorn in the grinder.

Best of both worlds...
Old 01-31-2007, 06:12 PM   #35

Costa Rican coffee is the best I've had so far - but I'm open to trying more!!

Heated 1% organic (or at least, no bovine growth hormone) milk is what I put in the coffee.

In costa rica they come around (the restaurants) with one pot for the coffee and one pot with the warmed milk - isn't that a grand idea? Why do we serve the milk cold?
Old 01-31-2007, 06:22 PM   #36

Dang, all this coffee talk is so evocative, I think I'll have to make some Costa Rican coffee!
Cool Dood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 06:46 PM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
We use my Christmas present now, it's a Cuisinart drip maker that grinds the beans right before the brew. The coffee definitely doesn't need cream or sugar now, but I do add a little creamer (see above).
So now that you're using a grinder, can you tell the difference between freshly-ground and what's been sitting in the freezer for a couple weeks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute Fuzzy Bunny
I heard the navy guys dont think it tastes right after retirement unless its got a pinch of salt in it.
In the good ol' submarine days, before my time, it was a dollop of Otto fuel. The theory was that a little chronic exposure kept down the symptoms, but I sure hope the VA wards aren't full of these torpedomen.

I could never tell the difference with salted coffee, but it's easy to improve something that's bought in tons by the U.S. govt for $1.50/pound.

Since I've retired, though, I've learned that there's not supposed to be a little oil slick floating on top of the brew...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 07:11 PM   #38

Try this, one shot Tia Maria one shot Kalua fresh whipped cream and a little Grand Mariner on top. Goes great with coffee or should I say Coffee goes great with it.
Old 01-31-2007, 07:19 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

I grind the beans and add 2% milk. I also make lattes at home, with the steamer immersed in 2% milk directly in the bowl, and sprinkle with cocoa or nutmeg. It's essential to run vinegar through your latte machine every 50-100 runs.

Favourite varieties are Colombian or Kenyan dark roast. Sometimes I buy flavoured beans. I avoid Starbucks as it seems to contain too much caffeine for me. Around this neck of the woods, the best "office" coffee, for my money, is Tim Horton's. I avoid creamer like the plague.

Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 07:45 PM   #40
Gone but not forgotten

I also use a Cuisinart grind & brew . It elevated me from a lousy coffee maker to a pretty good coffee maker. Eight O Clock coffee with 2% milk.
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote