Join Early Retirement Today

What do you put in your coffee?
Old 01-31-2007, 12:04 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

I have been quite picky for some time- I blame my mother- only half and half. More recently I have shifted to only Organic half and half. Im quite picky about all sorts of things I put in my body. We can discuss the benefits/problems with my caffeine induced consciousness later.

Then one day the girl who does all my work and makes me look really good and organized, moreso than I could do on my own my legal assistant brought in this stuff and her coffee smelled oh so good and I wanted to try whatever she was having. Turns out it was this toffee-nut non-dairy creamer- yes a powder- i was appalled but interested enough that I tried it.

Stinkin' Good Stuff! I am ashamed I like it and even more so that Im admitting it.

In the interest of not putting too much fake stuff in my body (good luck trying to convince me otherwise... well you know... for most things) what does everyone else drink in their coffee? Im especially interested in non-powder things. There is apparently a world out there I never knew of.

ps- is "moreso" even a word

pps- cant believe i wrote this rambling nonsense, must be the non-dairy creamer.
Deetso is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: What do you put in your coffee?
Old 01-31-2007, 12:08 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

When I'm asked how I like my coffee I say regular and in Ontario most people understand what I mean. Regular to me is about a spoon of sugar, ( I like to put sweetner) and a splash of milk. I don't like the powederd creamer, as for the milk, doesn't matter if it's Homo, 2%, 1% but I'd rather not have skim.

Old 01-31-2007, 12:09 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

If it is good coffee: put nothing in it. Don't spoil coffee that is worth drinking.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 12:11 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Irish creme 1/2 and 1/2 usually or sometimes amaretto 1/2 and 1/2 plus a pinch of sugar. I use the powdered non-dairy creamer if no half/half is available.
justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 12:21 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

I put about 3-4 drops of Piccala licor-de-cafe (cheap Kahlua knock-off) in mine. Just seems to knock off that edge of bitterness.
Payin-the-Toll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 12:23 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
If it is good coffee: put nothing in it. Don't spoil coffee that is worth drinking.
i'm with you on the "black" vote.
if it's not-quite-so-good i put sugar in it.
mh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 12:27 PM   #7

I enjoy black or with cream, very rarely sugar and never sweetner. You could flavor 1/2 & 1/2 with spice cabinet extracts like vanilla, rum, almond extracts etc (also think cinnamon or nutmeg) or buy the flavored coffee syrups. They can be very tasty as well! Then coffee becomes more of an indulgence. I do enjoy the foo foo coffee with the Sunday paper or following a fancy dinner with friends when I entertain.
crazy connie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 12:29 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

I ruin good coffee every day with original CoffeeMate (liquid, not powder). That might make me plain white trash but fancy was my name....
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 12:35 PM   #9

2% milk.

If that isn't available I use higher fat versions. I have been known to put a squirt or two of Redi-Whip in on desperate mornings. I would use higher fat more often, but I'd rather save those calories for chocolate.

If I am completely stuck, like at a meeting, I will use the powder, aka white-out, but then I have to add sugar because that stuff just doesn't taste right.

Don't like flavors, don't like my coffee black or too strong. Don't like the office coffee, so I bring my own in the morning. Yea, you could say I'm particular.
I would not have anyone adopt my mode of living...but I would have each one be very careful to find out and pursue his own way, and not his father's or his mother's or his neighbor's instead. Thoreau, Walden
Sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 12:39 PM   #10

I add nothing. 8)
mountaintosea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 12:47 PM   #11

i take mine unadulterated.
d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 12:51 PM   #12

I used to be a coffee purist -- nothing but good coffee in my coffee. For some reason a few years ago I started adding milk, cream, half-and-half, or non-dairy creamer. I'm not particular about the way I ruin the good coffee. I use whatever is available. At home, DW and I do not drink enough milk to justify buying a gallon, so we use powdered milk. Each morning I mix up a small amount to pour into my coffee.
sgeeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 01:48 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

I used to drink it with milk and sugar. I got used to Puerto Rico coffee when I lived there for a while. The stuff was great and was served half and half with hot cream with raw sugar. I got seriously addicted to that stuff. When I moved back to the mainland I could not find a substitute and ended up with weak flavorless coffee that required creamer and sugar to make it drinkable. Since then I have reduced my calorie intake a bit and switched to low fat (now sugarfree Coffeemate--French Vanilla) along with Splenda. I have since bought some real Puerto Riccan coffee and have my fix from time to time. After ER I will have the time to make it the right way and enjoy it slowly...as it was meant to be consumed.
Old 01-31-2007, 01:51 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
If you're going to put anything other than hot water in it, then why bother?!?

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 02:27 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
If you're going to put anything other than hot water in it, then why bother?!?
Easy for you to say Kona-boy! You can get the best coffee in the world from a roadside stand that was only picked a week ago!
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 02:42 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Payin-the-Toll
I put about 3-4 drops of Piccala licor-de-cafe (cheap Kahlua knock-off) in mine. Just seems to knock off that edge of bitterness.
if it is good coffee/made correctly it should not be bitter...

speaking of coffee - how does everyone make their coffee? I just got an italian moka pot and it is fun - the coffee is so strong that now i get two large cups where before i just got one (was using melita filter - the kind where you just pour the hot water directly into the filter on top of a cup).

Old 01-31-2007, 02:48 PM   #17

I drink my coffee like Condoleezza Rice -- hot and black.

I agree with the coffee purists, why ruin something good? If it's really crappy coffee, I'll sometimes use milk or cream, and if it's so terrible that I'm only drinking it because I absolutely have to, then I'll add sugar as well as milk or cream. I haven't done it in a while, but I sometimes go out for a huge breakfast with friends, and it's nice to add maple syrup and optionally vanilla ice cream to coffee. But the best is good, black coffee, and a cigarette.

Oh, and I generally prefer a darker roast.
Cool Dood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 02:55 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence
Easy for you to say Kona-boy! You can get the best coffee in the world from a roadside stand that was only picked a week ago!
Hey, those guys are selling more over the Internet than they ever did from the highway!

My personal addiction is Kauai Coffee Company, although you gotta love the swap meet underdog image of the Badass Coffee boys...

We're mailing my nephew the Army Ranger his final shipment of kona & macadamia to get him through his last episode of West Point's Dark Ages. Only 109 days left!

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 02:56 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by bright eyed
speaking of coffee - how does everyone make their coffee?
Usually just an electric drip machine. Every once in a while I like to have a Turkish coffee.

BTW, does anyone know if this is true? I heard somewhere that the phrase "a coffee" is a Canadianism, as in "hi, I'll have a coffee." Would this sound weird to you, i.e. would you expect something like "hi, I'll have coffee" or "hi, I'll have a cup of coffee," or is it pretty much interchangeable everywhere?
Cool Dood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 02:58 PM   #20
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence
Kona from a roadside stand? Oh, coffee...

French roast with Mr.Coffee into a SS carafe; splash of milk.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote