What do you think of artificial beef?

frank

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I saw on tv last night, some researchers were going to clone beef. I saw that they had different people on there saying how they would and wouldn't eat man made beef. What do you think of the idea? what's next?

Cloned beef is not artificial.... it is REAL beef....

A mechanical bull counts as "artificial beef".
A clone cow counts as "real beef".:greetings10:

If cloning does not result in real beef, can its waste still be called bullsh!t?

Not crazy about the cloned beef idea. I just wish I could get a decent cut of beef with some tasty fat inside it, and around the edges (like the old days when steak tasted so much better). Now the cows are bred to be lean, and any fat is trimmed off! (As if that's what the consumer wants:confused:?)

I don't see cloning as much different than the selective breeding that has been going for generations. Just a much more efficient way of reproducing the actual animal with the desired characteristics.

I saw on tv last night, some researchers were going to clone beef. I saw that they had different people on there saying how they would and wouldn't eat man made beef. What do you think of the idea? what's next?

Cloned beef is not 'artificial'. I would not hesitate in the least to eat it.

Do you realize that many of the vegetables you eat are (and always have been) cloned? It is a natural process for some plants.

http://reason.com/archives/2003/11/06/eating-tasty-clones

First, people already regularly eat lots of clones, that is, cloned fruits and vegetables. This includes most wine grapes, and all seedless grapes. Granny Smith, Red Delicious, and Gala apples are all clones, as are garlic and most blueberries. One might think that being genetically identical might actually enhance food safety since people have already eaten the clones' forbears without ill effects.

Bring on the clones!

At any rate, from what I've read, animal cloning is expensive and risky. The meat of clones is not something that is going to hit your butcher department. They may clone some bulls to provide more breeding stock with the qualities they want, but that would be about it.

-ERD50

Another one, Jeopardy Style:

It is called "Lean Beef".

You supply the question.

-ERD50

I think the phrase "Where's the Beef?" just sounds a whole lot better than "Where's the Cloned Beef?" :LOL:

Hasn't McDonalds been serving artificial beef for years now?

I think I'm a clone now. There always seems to be two of me around.

Last edited:
When I first read the thread title, I thought that some researchers have been able to grow some filet mignon out of a Petri dish.

Now, the above would be cool, but something I would be reluctant to sink my teeth into.

I'm going to clone myself, and have the clone eat the cloned beef, and see what it does to him.

Am I the only one who appreciates the irony of a "real meat" debate coming from a poster named "frank"?

We were going to have hot dogs for dinner tonight, but now I have to check with the veterinarian first.

"I've looked at clones from both sides now..."
"Send in the clones..."

I hear they found genetic material said to be from the mythical horse with a single horn in the center of its head. They have successfully grown an animal from these cells, and are calling it a Uniclone.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom