Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-24-2015, 11:10 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

+1 on the no-knead bread. Google for the recipe. It is so easy and the bread is top-notch. I also like kneading bread by hand sometimes - very therapeutic.

We've never owned a bread machine.
walkinwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-25-2015, 03:55 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Ha, ha! Round here, a 1.5-pound loaf is gone in about 30 minutes.

Amethyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by utrecht View Post
...you have to eat it immediately. It goes stale in 2 days or so.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 04:07 AM   #23

I used a Panasonic for more than 15 years. When it started squeeking and P. abandoned spares I even bought used machines like mine on ebay because I did not want another brand. In Dec. I finally found a new one that works like the old P.

In average we do 1 loaf per week. Sometimes I buy at my favorite bakery in between, special sourdough or typical german dark bread.

The non-stick stuff is quite strong, not like in cheap pans.
chris2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 06:40 AM   #24

Worst part is overeating the delicious bread. Don't eat bread anymore.
jim584672 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 07:05 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

I have a Toastmaster vertical 1.5 lb loaf breadmaker, purchased back in the 1990s. I used to use it a lot, only for the dough cycle. I invested in a long narrow bread pan for baking in the oven.
I have been limiting bread and other "whites" for almost 2 years now. I do miss eating bread, so I bought a 10 grain bread mix at Amazon. I figured if I'm going to go back to eating some bread, I may as well do a higher fiber version.
This is the product I decided to get.
Amazon.com : Bob's Red Mill Bread Mix 10 Grain, 19-Ounce (Pack of 4) : Bread Machine Mixes : Grocery & Gourmet Food
Old 02-25-2015, 07:23 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

I love bread.

A friend of DW gave us a bread machine as they were decluttering. We used it for a while and it has sat in a closet for many years. The bread was good, but the loaves were on the small side so all in all it was more effort than it was worth.

I have also done no-knead bread and prefer that to the breadmaker.

However, supermarket bakery bread has gotten to be very good and is relatively inexpensive and very easy. Plus, it is sliced (or can be, you just need to ask them to run it through the slicer) so the portions are better since it is often hard to cut slices as thin by hand. So more recently, we have been buying supermarket bread because it is good and convenient. We usually try to get a loaf from the "day old"/clearance area and we only go through a loaf a week.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 07:24 AM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

I used to make bread at least once a week, usually using the paddle attachment of Kitchenaid mixer we already had to knead the dough for ten minutes and then baking it in the regular oven I already had. I never wanted a single-purpose machine, new or used, that would need storage or counter space.
Old 02-25-2015, 07:33 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Yes, counter space is one of the reasons that our bread machine languishes in a closet.

Old 02-25-2015, 07:54 AM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
I have a really good bread machine (Zojirushi brand, which seems to be one of the best). Never had a bad loaf come out of it, and it's really easy to use. Very happy with it, and we've had it for over ten years.
1+ on the Zojirush, bought ours in December of '08 according to Amazon. Started out making bread frequently, but as others note our consumption of bread has declined. Occasional use for bread-making nowadays, I think we love the smell more than anything. DW uses it when making homemade pizza dough, the frequency of that has diminished also but still a useful appliance for that task. Had a lesser quality brand before that, think it lasted maybe a year and a half.
Theseus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 09:08 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

I stopped using my bread maker a few years ago when I decided to cut highly processed carbs from my diet. Since then I have found that small amounts of carbs don't bother me that much so I have started eating some bread again. I never gave up pizza.

The advantage, IMHO, of the no-knead bread is the long rise time. According to the Cook's book on the science of cooking, a longer rise lets the tasty components of the dough develop while holding down those that detract from the taste. No-knead bread raises for 8-24 hours so that works well to make tasty bread.

I also make bread using 1/2 whole wheat flour, 1/4 white four, and 1/4 rolled oats. It tastes great, doesn't get stale as fast and is somewhat better for the blood sugars than 100% white flour bread.

Still, my bread consumption is way down when compared to 5 years ago.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 12:04 PM   #31
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
My most common use for my bread machine is to make pizza dough. While it is busy making the dough I prepare the toppings, mix up the sauce and have some wine.
+1 When DS was growing up I used it a lot in the winter to make fresh breads to go with soups and stews. (Bulk counts when filling up a teenage athlete!)

Since he's grown and gone, though, it primarily became the maker of great pizza dough. But when it wore out I did not replace it, as the dr. insists I must cut back on carbs.

Have done so. But I do miss that good homemade pizza crust!

Old 02-25-2015, 12:38 PM   #32

Since so many seem to make pizza, would anyone care to share a great pizza dough recipe for use in the bread machine?
And whatever your labors and aspirations in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.- Desiderata by Max Ehrmann
MissMolly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 12:45 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMolly View Post
Since so many seem to make pizza, would anyone care to share a great pizza dough recipe for use in the bread machine?
It's not hard

2 cups bread flour (or unbleached white flour with glutton added, about 3 Tbl.)
1 cup Spelt flour or white whole wheat
2 tsp regular yeast
1 tsp sugar
1 TBL olive oil
1 tsp salt

If I am feeling frisky I might add some fresh rosemary to the mix.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 02:36 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Thanks again for all the great suggestions. I'll keep you posted on what I end up making.

I like appliances that don't need a lot of tending to. We have rice makers and a convection oven that just shut themselves off when the rice is done or the timer goes off. So I'll probably try the bread machine next and maybe move up to the no knead after that.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 02:57 PM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

We bought a Breadman Ultimate for $5 at Goodwill 5 years ago and SWMBO made bread for me at least once a week for sandwiches until my retirement 3 months ago (yeah!). We backed it up with another identical unit , but the first one is still going strong.

I think it makes great French bread and it is amazing how quickly it gets stale (that should make you wonder about "Wonder" bread). Now that I have retired, the Breadman is only working part-time (why couldn't I?) as I am out of my daily sandwich routine.
Old 02-25-2015, 03:08 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

I had to look up SWMBO and discovered that I have one of those too!!!

Old 02-25-2015, 03:13 PM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

"The term originates from the H. Rider Haggard novel, "She" (first published 1886). The character Ayesha, known as She-who-must-be-obeyed, the Queen of Death, the White Goddess,of the lost city of Kôr who rules her kingdom with terror, She is the very image of the Femme Fatale. To disobey her or to scorn her is to earn & receive instantaneous death."

If you are a fan of the old British TV show "Rumpole of the Bailey" you will recognize the term. Neither the SWMBO in the show, nor mine , is quite up to the original standard. Hope yours isn't either...
Old 02-25-2015, 03:20 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post
I like appliances that don't need a lot of tending to. We have rice makers and a convection oven that just shut themselves off when the rice is done or the timer goes off.
For others following the thread, you made me decide to throw in another note.
My rice cooker is my absolute favorite appliance (well, I guess right after the microwave). Absolutely perfect rice every time, no matter what kind of rice you're making (mine is used for white, brown, and sushi rice (three different settings, but there are several others)).

If anyone is contemplating one, by all means get a good modern one that has the "fuzzy logic" chip in it. Again, Zojirushi is a top brand.

This is the one I use (had it for about 4 years now):http://www.amazon.com/Zojirushi-NS-L...shi+ns-lac05xa
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 03:22 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Yes, we bought DS a rice cooker for Christmas and he loves it and says the rice is fantastic.

Old 02-25-2015, 03:54 PM   #40

We bought one, and received another as a gift. Both went on vacation to Salvation Army, and we haven't seen them since.

We weren't impressed.
SumDay is offline   Reply With Quote