What does "ER" mean to you?

sengsational

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
So, on the wall in my local bar, I see this:

http://i.imgur.com/IG2ate7.jpg

Awesome!

Then I see this:

http://i.imgur.com/Uv5WxpK.jpg

I think Carmon and Dave are in this together, and it's not about the "ER" that I was thinking at first. This place has 72 taps, by the way, so even I could put two and two together to get a four letter word.

ER to me means I can retire before I die.

At the moment, I may be terminally unemployed but it remains to be seen if I am retired.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

I didn't put the images in the OP correctly...
IG2ate7.jpg

Then I noticed the neighboring plate:
Uv5WxpK.jpg

right this minute it means "Emergency Room", because that's where I spent Saturday (and about $3-4K). I am fine now, but slightly poorer. I am sure the memory will fade and ER will mean ...well, enjoying life.

I tried to look it up with google and wandered thru lots of beer making sites. They are trying to make craft beer as fussy as wine. Not really that cranky about it. We just got two new craft breweries in town and that is great.
This am I look at it and it looks like they are just spelling be er! on two adjoining taps. maybe

right this minute it means "Emergency Room", because that's where I spent Saturday (and about $3-4K). I am fine now, but slightly poorer. I am sure the memory will fade and ER will mean ...well, enjoying life.

May I ask why $3-4k poorer? Does your insurance cover most of it?

You got it lemming. Glad you're enjoying your new local breweries. This is just a beer bar (Flying Saucer) where, if you try 200 different beers, you get one of these plates hung on the wall there. My plate says "BEER GAMIFIED!" because this "loyalty program" made selecting a beer kind of game-like.

Glad to hear you're doing better!

Possibly an HSA-compatible HDHP?

Right now, ER means expense ratio as I analyze available fund options for my 457 plan and how they mesh with my desired relatively hands-off investing policy. Apparently, low-cost ETFs are a no-go since I tinker too much if given the chance. Having an IPS doesn't help since I just rewrite the IPS whenever I read about and play with backtesting various lazy portfolios (Coffeehouse, FundAdvice Ultimate Buy & Hold, etc). :blush:

Right now, ER means expense ratio as I analyze available fund options for my 457 plan and how they mesh with my desired relatively hands-off investing policy. Apparently, low-cost ETFs are a no-go since I tinker too much if given the chance. Having an IPS doesn't help since I just rewrite the IPS whenever I read about and play with backtesting various lazy portfolios (Coffeehouse, FundAdvice Ultimate Buy & Hold, etc). :blush:

Perhaps you need a "unclemick hormonal portfolio", then put the rest in a target fund or "pssst, Wellesley".

You got it lemming. Glad you're enjoying your new local breweries. This is just a beer bar (Flying Saucer) where, if you try 200 different beers, you get one of these plates hung on the wall there. My plate says "BEER GAMIFIED!" because this "loyalty program" made selecting a beer kind of game-like.

It would be hard to figure it out unless you knew the plate awardees. My DW and I have one hanging in a bar in San Antonio. Only a select few folks know what our plates mean. Of all the awards I have been presented to me in life, that's one that I REALLY had to earn! :D

Perhaps you need a "unclemick hormonal portfolio", then put the rest in a target fund or "pssst, Wellesley".
Nah, I don't need the hormonal portfolio. I just need to be as hands off as possible and going all in with balanced mutual funds with automatic investing (target risk or target date will work) instead of doing manual orders for ETFs will be sufficient to accomplish that.

Caveat, the plan is on Schwab so there's a $50 purchase fee for Wellesley or Vanguard Target Retirement 2040 VFORX. Also, Vanguard funds are not available for automatic investing (and really, at $50 a pop, they're not practical for monthly investing of $1500). However, the Schwab Target 2040 SWERX fund has a 0.78% ER so keeping that will be more expensive over the long term.

Right now, my plan is to use SWERX as a placeholder for monthly contributions and then first business day of January, move the funds from SWERX to VFORX.

Last edited:

Nope. $6300 or so deductible and max OOP

Possibly an HSA-compatible HDHP?

Yup.

I took a chance on getting myself (60) a bronze HSA plan that cost $0 after credits (in fact, I passed some $ over to SWMBO who got a silver plan) based on my past history of basically needing nothing other than one doc visit for meds or something (no chronic condition, no drug). I passed out trying to get my old Gravely walkbehind started. Wife and daughter (who is in med track in HS) both swore I was having a heart attack ( I didn't think so, really) and eventually wore me down in my weakened state and they called 911 and got I the full treatment. They did blood tests, CT scan and couldn't find anything so I was home in about 6 hours, somewhat PO'd. Still waiting to see what the negotiated rates are but it will be more than dinner at Mc Donalds.

But, you know what? I will probably make the same choice again in a few days as to get a silver plan will cost me $2K in premiums with a $2300 max OOP. I still feel lucky (well, maybe not as much, but I don't feel like giving away $2K for sure)

In the IT world, we assign a namespace to identifiers to disambiguate...health care, career planning, investments.

Back
Top Bottom