Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-25-2019, 06:57 AM   #21
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexexpat View Post
In Central Florida: 10K sq. ft. lot, $120 per month for mowing, edging and blowing plus removal of fallen palm fronds and other debris. Weekly mowings spring thru fall, 2x a month in winter.

In Central Mexico: 10K sq. ft. lot with extensive landscaping and fruit trees, 2 gardeners 5 days a week for 2 hours each day, USD equivalent $ 160 per month for complete lawn and garden care, mowing, trimming, planting, and debris removal, etc. PLUS they clean and maintain our swimming pool (fyi, pool service if hired separately runs about $ 50 per month).
Gotta love living in Mexico. Expats I know living with other gringos in gated community said that hired help is easy to find. One retired family has a housekeeper, landscaper, driver and are living the good life.
Nick12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-25-2019, 07:20 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexexpat View Post
In Central Florida: 10K sq. ft. lot, $120 per month for mowing, edging and blowing plus removal of fallen palm fronds and other debris. Weekly mowings spring thru fall, 2x a month in winter.

In Central Mexico: 10K sq. ft. lot with extensive landscaping and fruit trees, 2 gardeners 5 days a week for 2 hours each day, USD equivalent $ 160 per month for complete lawn and garden care, mowing, trimming, planting, and debris removal, etc. PLUS they clean and maintain our swimming pool (fyi, pool service if hired separately runs about $ 50 per month).
WOW! What a deal.
street is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 07:27 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

1/4 acre lot. Takes me 40 minutes to mow with walk behind. Last year I traveled most of the summer and had a service mow and trim along the fence and house for $30 a pop. Took him about 10 minutes on his Ferris mower.
Old 02-25-2019, 07:34 AM   #24

I have 2 acres I mow with my 60-inch zero turn. Takes about $2 in gas and 2 hours with some minor weed whacker trimming. My neighbor with a similar size yard pays $70/mow. In season it requires about once/week mowing here.

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 07:36 AM   #25

My mom had a stroke in 2017 so we had to mow her yard and keep it maintained until we could sell her house. She lived in a rural area about two hours from our house, so I called around to see if I could find someone to maintain the yard for us. She had a double city lot so I was expecting somewhere in the 30-50 dollar range. The quotes I got were around 250 dollars PER TRIP. Ouch! Needless to say, I loaded up my self-propelled walk behind mower and made the two hour drive once a week or so and mowed it myself. Took me just under an hour to mow and weed eat her entire property.
mountainsoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 07:45 AM   #26

~ $28 / weekly cut.

Size ~ 2/3 Acre or (28,000 sq feet).

This includes the bi-weekly edging.

Note trimmings are not bagged, but left on the grass. Is mulched still the correct term for this?

-gauss
gauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 08:08 AM   #27

$45 for the occasionally cut, trim and blow. Clippings are not collected. It's a little bigger than a 1/3 acre lot because we're next to park land which we choose to maintain (that's what everyone does that's got this extra adjacent land).

But it would come to more like $100 if you count my time and effort plus replacement parts to repair the irrigation system damage the edger does every time our guy gets a new helper.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 08:36 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Lawn? What lawn?

Quite a few years ago, when my children got to teenage years and stopped playing with the swingset, I stopped watering for the lawn to die, then spreaded gravel over it. Front and back yards.

No more lawn mowing, fertilizing, and wasting water for me here in the arid Southwest. I use enough water as it is for the swimming pool, and my wife still overwaters her vegetable garden.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 08:38 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

From a cross sector of where you live, it seems to be consistent with a range of 25 to 40 bucks a time, in comparison to size and what is done. I was sure to fine results a lot higher price for the job then what I found out.
Old 02-25-2019, 01:11 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post
From a cross sector of where you live, it seems to be consistent with a range of 25 to 40 bucks a time, in comparison to size and what is done. I was sure to fine results a lot higher price for the job then what I found out.
Are you saying that lawn service is cheaper than you expected?

I think that any economist will tell you that the 'unskilled labor' market is the closest thing out there to an 'ideal' market. As such, I would expect a high degree of competition in this area.

-gauss
gauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 01:18 PM   #31

For a lot that size , Mow and Blow, would be about $ 40mo. for twice a mo. service in LA High cost of living area but an abundance of low cost lawn services.

One shot mow, $25-30

For full service , weeding, fertilizer 2x per year, etc about $60 a mo. in these here parts.
Lakewood90712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 03:44 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauss View Post
Are you saying that lawn service is cheaper than you expected?

I think that any economist will tell you that the 'unskilled labor' market is the closest thing out there to an 'ideal' market. As such, I would expect a high degree of competition in this area.

-gauss
Yes, I expected maybe 40 to 50 bucks a cutting/weed eating. If there is a lot of competition then you are right the price would come down and stay lower.
Old 02-25-2019, 04:14 PM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick12 View Post
Gotta love living in Mexico. Expats I know living with other gringos in gated community said that hired help is easy to find. One retired family has a housekeeper, landscaper, driver and are living the good life.
FYI, we do not live in a gated community. We live in the village; workers at our home during the updating of two homes here since 2008, live nearby, walk home for their siesta, etc.

Not a fan of gated communities....not in MEX, not in US.
mexexpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 04:49 PM   #34

Southeast Virginia:
When my lawn mower needed repair, I had someone for a couple or three weeks cut and weed-eat $45 a cut. 3/4 of an acre but since all trees are in beds it's an easy cut and takes about 45 minutes max. It's the bed work that is the most time consuming.

I enjoy cutting my yard and use the mower in the fall to get the leaves up as well. It's not just about grass cutting for me. It's also about leaves and keeping my yard free of tree stick and leaf debris.
sheehs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 04:51 PM   #35

As Lakewood mentioned, $40 for twice a month in LA.

I own 3 homes, 2 I take care of myself. Takes an hour a week to do both.

The other one a tenant cares for. So no more gardeners for now.
Mr. Tightwad is offline   Reply With Quote