Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-13-2008, 04:34 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

I saw them in-use by airport security recently, I have no idea which airport (Cincinnati?). It sure looked like an efficient and sensible way to traverse a long concourse.

NotSoonEnough is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-14-2008, 09:28 AM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

I've seen them as an alternative to golf carts. They cost about the same to rent, but only transport a single golfer (and bag) rather than 2.

What a deal - Not!
Life_is_Good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 09:54 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I've seen Segways in use here and here over the past couple years, but they certainly haven't taken off as promised. As a matter of fact, for all my faith in the future the Jetson's promised me, the only major robotic-type advance I've seen that really panned out is the Rhoomba - www.irobot.com.

When we moved into our new house we decided to keep the dogs in just one section, on tile floors and away from the hardwoods and the sleeping areas. We were cleaning that section every day, then I bought a Rhoomba at Costco, just to try it out. We now have two, and they are a perfect addition to the ER lifestyle. They do a great job in our situation, and I can sit on the sofa and read a book while I'm vacuuming 2 rooms simultaneously!

My DW loves them, calls them the Goombas. The dogs ignore them completely. And evey day they suck up a tremendous amount of dog fur and other material. Even my daughter, who is fairly allergic to the pugs, says she breathes much easier now when she visits. I'm a fan.

But I'm still waiting for a functional Jetpack.

Harley
Old 07-14-2008, 10:56 AM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

You can also rent them by the hour here, as a tourist thing. I've never seen them used any other way.

As far as replacing bike cops with them, that seems stupid to me. I've seen bike cops bike up and down stairs -- and chase down cars doing 30 mph. Seems unlikely a Segway would have that sort of versatility.
Old 07-14-2008, 11:36 AM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotSoonEnough View Post
I saw them in-use by airport security recently, I have no idea which airport (Cincinnati?). It sure looked like an efficient and sensible way to traverse a long concourse.
How fast/efficient/clumsy would Segways on a rolling walkway be?
CitricAcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 11:47 AM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

The Joliet, Il police had several Segway like vehicles in force at the Chicagoland Speedway for the Nascar race a few days ago. These had a third wheel though.

Police go green at races :: Herald News :: News
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote