What foreign news sources do you use?

Chuckanut

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I often to to one or more British newspaper websites to get news not covered well, if at all, in the USA. And, often to get another perspective on international events. I usually choose the Independent or the Guardian. They see to have good coverage and do not go to the extreme nonsense of some of the British press.

What sources of news from outside your country of citizenship or do you use? Why do you use it?

Telegraph, Guardian, BBC, New Zeland Herald, Der Spiegel, AP and Reuters feeds and a few more.

BBC. God help me, I still look at CNN on web frequently but it is absolutely the worst. I'm trying to not look at the train wreck. I'm waiting for the Kardashian's headline. Also have subscription to NYT online.

I'll frequently google topics I'm interested in (drought, air/water pollution for example) and enjoy reading the perspective of many international sources.

AlJazeera...first choice... for balance. RT for the other side... Asia Times, Der Speigel and of course BBC .
RT was... several months ago, fairly balanced, but of a sudden, after the Olymoics, has become so anti American, it's hard to watch... Still, to know what's going on, one can't stick with what is comfortable.

I also visit China and Germany regularly. I find the German site to usually be pretty interesting.

Thanks for the link to the Local (German news in English). We lived there for several years but my German is so rusty that it is too tiring to read anything substantial.

I used to read the Economist regularly but haven't even bought it in an airport lately so don't know if it is still as good as it used to be.

Economist, weekly.

Economist, Reuters, Corriere della Sera

I sometimes go to the NY Times or Post websites to see what mischief you foreigners are getting up to .. winky face. Also, for my fellow Economist readers. I get it for free on my tablet now with the Zinio app and my library card. You might want to see if your libraries have it to (if you are to cheap to subscribe, like me)

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Yahoo Canada, BBC, Euronews (?) and CNN here in Baku. Misc British papers on the airplane. Economist once in a while. It's funny--the US doesn't seem to exist on international news programs. And the foreign broadcasters can be just as goofy as CNN in what they choose to show.

Economist and BBC occasionally. Need to check out the other sites mentioned here. But generally whatever links show up on the google news page.

-ERD50

BBC news, Le Monde (France), La Tribune de Geneve (Switzerland).

I read the International Herald Tribune and De Standaard (Antwerp, Belgium daily (in Dutch)) occasionally.

I find, in the U.S., that the Christian Science Monitor has pretty good coverage of foreign affairs.

Planning on checking out Al Jazeera one of these days...

Guardian, BBC Radio 4 on iPlayer, Daily Telegraph and Le Monde

About once a week I like to survey some of the overseas news sources.

I focus on the anglosphere: a couple of English sites, Scottish, Irish, Australian, South African, Malawi, Hong Kong; and some english language news from Germany, Japan, Brazil.

Beyond getting some clue as to what going on in the world (American news is very poor at this), they often cover interesting things happening in the USA that don't get much coverage here.

Also, if you use Google News, you can have it add in news from other countries as well.

That's a good way to familiarize yourself with overseas news sources. You really need to read them for a while before you become aware of their biases (ALL news sources have biases, it's good to know what they are).

BBC. I have the android app. Very interesting reading their take on us, as well as themselves...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom