Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-31-2011, 09:56 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplainbll View Post
I have no problem paying for 'Deluxe' tax software that costs less than .1% of my average tax liability.
I pay for Deluxe as well. I do my taxes, mom's and at least one friends return. I paid $45 for fed and state with 5 free federal efiles. Not bad imo. Plus I'm used to TT.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-31-2011, 11:31 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
I pay for Deluxe as well. I do my taxes, mom's and at least one friends return. I paid $45 for fed and state with 5 free federal efiles. Not bad imo. Plus I'm used to TT.
I'm used to TT too, and it picks up data from last year's return to use in this year's if I want to. That saves me a lot of typing and looking up tedious repetitive entries and so on. So, to tell the truth, I have never tried another tax preparation program and I am not motivated to do so. Even worse, I don't use the online or download version and actually PAY for it This is ostensibly because I like having it in my hot little hand and having the CD stored on my shelf in case I need it later, but actually it is because I can't procrastinate if I have paid money for it. Don't ask me the psychology of that, because I can't explain it.

I just use Basic, though, $30. My taxes aren't very complicated and they are the only ones I do. I only use it for federal, because filing Louisiana taxes online is really easy. They are very simple and based on the federal return.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 07:13 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

I've used TT as long as it has been in existence. Before that, I used my own free spreadsheet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R

I'm used to TT too, and it picks up data from last year's return to use in this year's if I want to. That saves me a lot of typing and looking up tedious repetitive entries and so on. So, to tell the truth, I have never tried another tax preparation program and I am not motivated to do so. Even worse, I don't use the online or download version and actually PAY for it This is ostensibly because I like having it in my hot little hand and having the CD stored on my shelf in case I need it later, but actually it is because I can't procrastinate if I have paid money for it. Don't ask me the psychology of that, because I can't explain it.

I just use Basic, though, $30. My taxes aren't very complicated and they are the only ones I do. I only use it for federal, because filing Louisiana taxes online is really easy. They are very simple and based on the federal return.
Totally relate to your post. I use the next level up because I sold and rented out property for a few years before FIRE. I think I can get away with Basic now.

I'll look into Vanguard. Do you need an account there?
Old 01-01-2012, 07:35 AM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

For a whole lot of years I did just fine doing my taxes using a pencil, calculator, Pub17, and various schedules and forms. The first few years I used TT I still did my taxes by hand just to make sure TT came up with the same number. I continue to do a light double-check just to make sure everything looks good.
East Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 07:43 AM   #25
Administrator

This mirrors my experience. I have used TT, TaxCut and TaxAct. Each has a different user interface, and each is better at some forms, none is clearly superior. The interface is sufficiently different to make it difficult to migrate easily from one to another. The foreign tax credit was simplified a couple of years ago, which was the biggest TT weakness for me, and the automated download of transactions made it my preferred program. Intuit has generated an amazing amount of negative sentiment in recent years and, more than other companies, disregards user concerns.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Yes.

I use TT myself as I get it free from VG but I wanted my son to be independant so the year he graduated is when I first tried Taxact. He only worked 6 months that year (2007), one job, one W-2, easy peasy and I first did his return on TT.

However, we did his taxes together using Taxact and his refund was $35 higher that TT. Further investigation showed that Taxact picked up the fact that because his income was so low but he still contributed to a 401k that he was due a tax credit intended to encourage low income workers.

I went back to TT and saw the mistake I'd made, but was impressed enough to try Taxact on my own return. Although it produced the same results the free version was much harder to use with my return as I have foreign pensions and banks to deal with.

Each year I use TT for myself and my son uses Taxact.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 03:20 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB
Intuit has generated an amazing amount of negative sentiment in recent years and, more than other companies, disregards user concerns.
Not good. They probably have the largest market share, largely due to repeat users. Maybe it is time for me to check out the competition now that I'm retired and have more time to experiment and re-enter data.
Old 01-01-2012, 03:30 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beryl View Post
I'll look into Vanguard. Do you need an account there?
If I am not mistaken (which is always possible/likely), you have to be a Flagship customer at Vanguard to get free TT, and you have to have over $1,000,000 at Vanguard to qualify as a Flagship customer.

I buy mine at Best Buy.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 03:34 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R

If I am not mistaken (which is always possible/likely), you have to be a Flagship customer at Vanguard to get free TT, and you have to have over $1,000,000 at Vanguard to qualify as a Flagship customer.

I buy mine at Best Buy.
Dang! You only need $500K at Fidelity to special benefits. I'll be picking up mine on a Costco run.
Old 01-01-2012, 06:35 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Has anyone compared TT with Taxact?
You can probably search those terms and my screen name for the full story a few years back, but I used TT until a bug affected me, and their 'help' was unbelievably poor. They knew about the bug, but rather than tell you, they let me spend hours and hours searching their forums to stumble upon a work-around.

So I switched to TaxAct online. It seems fine, but I have not knowingly run across a bug so I have no idea if TaxAct would deal with it any better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplainbll View Post
I have no problem paying for 'Deluxe' tax software that costs less than .1% of my average tax liability.

+1. Free is good, but (unless these free programs are different), the free versions I used don't store any data from one year to the next. So you need to do a lot of entering, and there is the opportunity for a mistake. $14 is fine by me.

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 08:00 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beryl

Dang! You only need $500K at Fidelity to special benefits. I'll be picking up mine on a Costco run.
Make sure you wait for the coupon at Costco that starts 1/5/12 I believe
Old 01-02-2012, 07:28 AM   #31
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I go to the library when AARP does free returns for anyone 60+. You don't have to be an AARP member.

2 years ago I used TT and found it amazingly easy to use. I calced my federal and state taxes then went to the AARP people. I was surprised that it came out the same. Now they know what they are doing and I don't but I was able to use TT to get it right. That amazed me because I learned a long time ago to never do my taxes! It's not that they are that complex because they are not but I can't understand the IRS directions. Maybe if they used English to explain things... Maybe if the tax code was simpler...
veremchuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 02:12 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

If you make charitable donations, do the software besides TT, have something like Intuit's Itsdeductible website?

TurboTax® ItsDeductible Online - Track Charitable Donations for Tax Deductions.

A little while ago, I finished entering all my charitable donations in 2011 in Itsdeductible. I like the way TT just imports the entries from Itsdeductible.

Got my ducks in line, so when the time comes (in Feb, after football season), I'll install TT and file the taxes as painlessly as possible.
Old 01-02-2012, 02:28 PM   #33
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
If you make charitable donations, do the software besides TT, have something like Intuit's Itsdeductible website?

TurboTax® ItsDeductible Online - Track Charitable Donations for Tax Deductions.

A little while ago, I finished entering all my charitable donations in 2011 in Itsdeductible. I like the way TT just imports the entries from Itsdeductible.

Got my ducks in line, so when the time comes (in Feb, after football season), I'll install TT and file the taxes as painlessly as possible.
Thanks for the link. The Salvation Army and Goodwill Industries also publish thrift shop values for commonly donated items, and both are accepted by the IRS.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 12:23 PM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

got a cd with free state and federal with e-file returns in the mail this year for taxcut.. nice
Old 01-04-2012, 12:43 PM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Has anyone compared TT with Taxact?
Quite a few years ago I did my taxes with the online versions of each. TT gave me more back than Taxact, and I don't think I was able to track down why. I'm sure it varies from year to year. Once I had all the papers together, it didn't take me long to do them in both softwares.

(full disclosure) My hubby is working for intuit now, but it sounds like they're really stepping up their support options this year. Their iphone app for 1040EZ filers is really cool too. Take a photo of your W2, it'll ocr it.
meekie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 05:02 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Does this imply Vanguard has figured out that high-net-worth folks also tend to be cheap and not pay other people to do their taxes?

Amethyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post

Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 05:08 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

In Maryland, we have a free online service called iFile. I generally dispise online tax software, but this one is OK. I use TT Basic which is cheaper without the state tax filing and manually put the numbers into the state's website. I am certain it saves them money over a paper return. I get refunds by direct deposit within 2 days. I would encourage anyone to see if thier state has this service.
Old 01-05-2012, 05:48 PM   #38

I used TurboTax at least for the last 10 years. Got tired of them increasing prices and eliminating coupons. I finally tried H&R Block At Home Deluxe last year after Target had it on sale and had a $10 off coupon. Saved $20 over TurboTax. I was nervous as I was so use to TT's interface. I really liked At Home and bought it again this year at Target with a $10 coupon and $10 rebate. Paid $30 less than TT.
11522914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 06:35 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11522914 View Post
I used TurboTax at least for the last 10 years. Got tired of them increasing prices and eliminating coupons. I finally tried H&R Block At Home Deluxe last year after Target had it on sale and had a $10 off coupon. Saved $20 over TurboTax. I was nervous as I was so use to TT's interface. I really liked At Home and bought it again this year at Target with a $10 coupon and $10 rebate. Paid $30 less than TT.

Ah..those TT rebate coupons. Brings back fine memories -- NOT. Was happy when they just charged a higher price and got away from the coupons. Happier now that I get TT as a freebie with Vanguard.