What happened to FedEx?

FedEx was built for overnight business to business delivery. At my last wo*k location, they did a daily pickup and delivery stop, sometimes more than one. UPS was more of a deliver to homes company.
After the Amazon incident, FedEx has been moving to a service that can also make money delivering to homes. As a business they have done very well recently. The delivery and service experience will probably vary widely with all 3 services.

The pluses of using contract labor: fatter profit margins and flexibility. The downside: inconsistent, often subpar service.

I trust the USPS more with my occasional package shipping than FedEx. It seems that FedEx does too, considering the number of FedEx packages that arrive in my mailbox.

I haven’t had issues with FedEx deliveries. However, I really hate going into FedEx Office centers, or whatever they are called. When it was still Kinko’s, service was better. When I go into the FedEx Office centers, I am typically underwhelmed by the quality of their workers. There have been times when I have stood there hoping someone would help me and I’m completely ignored. The times I have stood in line to be waited on weren’t much better. They have often been rude and impolite. One time I was making copies and needed to get something notarized. I was going to head to the UPS store because they have notary services, but thought I might as well ask the FedEx people if they have a notary on site so I didn’t have to run an extra errand. When I asked the FedEx guy behind the counter whether they offer notary services, he actually got angry. He said no, FedEx doesn’t pay for its employees to become notaries. He said it in a really rude way - not sure if he was mad at FedEx for not offering paid notary training or at me for asking.

That same week, I had to go to FedEx again. I went to a different location. I got there about 10 minutes before closing. I sent my fax (can’t believe we still fax stuff in 2020, but that’s another topic) and went to the front to send my package. It was now about 5 minutes before closing, and the guy who was helping me was not happy that I would dare to make him work until closing time. He told the guy in back to shut the front door while someone was about to enter. They both acted like the last place they wanted to be was there.

Those are just two examples off the top of my head about the poor customer service at FedEx Office.

Blue? They are gray around here with a blue Amazon smile logo. Mostly Ram vans. I know many are subcontractors. I met a guy that was invited to an investment seminar when Amazon was setting this up. He was leery of upfront cost for 10 trucks and liability for drivers running all over. I plive in Walt’s old ‘hood. My cousin works in an Amazon warehouse tells me they have a program to assist associates with setting up contract delivery service with 3 trucks minimum.

https://images.app.goo.gl/QT8Q2necHfg4N96K8

I got an Amazon delivery today from a driver in what looked like a white, unmarked Econoline van. The driver leaned the long, narrow box against the door so it would bounce off your shins when the door was opened. :rolleyes:

He then stopped next door, probably to deliver dog poop in a burning paper bag.

I got an Amazon delivery today from a driver in what looked like a white, unmarked Econoline van.

Those are common here. You really never know what they're going to use. I once had an Amazon delivery from a lady in a private SUV with three rambunctious youngsters in the back trying to find the ones she would deliver next.

And around the holidays, I once saw a U-Haul van pull up to my neighbor's house and a guy in a FedEx uniform got out and made the delivery.

I really couldn't care less what they use to deliver; I'm just happy that we generally get great service.

Those are common here. You really never know what they're going to use. I once had an Amazon delivery from a lady in a private SUV with three rambunctious youngsters in the back trying to find the ones she would deliver next.

And around the holidays, I once saw a U-Haul van pull up to my neighbor's house and a guy in a FedEx uniform got out and made the delivery.

I really couldn't care less what they use to deliver; I'm just happy that we generally get great service.

Yeh, my problem was not with the van but with the method of delivery. Who leans a package up against a door?

I mentioned this earlier in this thread, but a few years ago we were getting Amazon deliveries from people driving passenger cars. That's cool, but a little weird when the delivery guy knocked on the door after dark. The dogs got upset.

I had a package that was sent by a vendor by FedEx SmartPost - this is where FedEx transfers the package to the local post office for final delivery.

Well the package sat at the local FedEx site for 3 days without being sent to the post office. I finally had it, and called the 800 number. The customer service agent said it was MY responsibility to call the vendor and have them talk to the account manager to make the transfer to the PO. Apparently this is the new FedEx policy for Smartpost deliveries - or so she claimed.

This was clearly so much BS that I asked her, can you please say that again and I would like permission to record your answer and forward it to your management. I then asked to speak to her supervisor and after a short hold spoke to person who knew her job. She then looped me within seconds to the dispatch supervisor (?) at the local dispatch facility and she promised me it would be on the truck tomorrow.

FedEx delivered the package today - no PO involved.
Something has slipped at FedEx - it is no longer as reliable as it once was.

Last edited:
I got an Amazon delivery today from a driver in what looked like a white, unmarked Econoline van. The driver leaned the long, narrow box against the door so it would bounce off your shins when the door was opened. :rolleyes:

He then stopped next door, probably to deliver dog poop in a burning paper bag.
He used to drop off my Amazon packages. Put 'em in the driveway up against the garage so that the falling rain would soften up that packaging for ya.

Be wary of the unmarked white van!

UPS isn't doing much better, although they used to. Now they've "lost" a package that was supposed to be delivered yesterday, but today (Tuesday) they delivered one that was supposed to be delivered Thursday. No word on the MIA package.

Must be all the new trainees, right?:angel:

I had a package that was sent by a vendor by FedEx SmartPost - this is where FedEx transfers the package to the local post office for final delivery.

Well the package sat at the local FedEx site for 3 days without being sent to the post office.

Did you pay for one- or two-day delivery?

I haven't done much FedEx lately, but I know in the past when I paid for 5-day (or whatever) shipping, they made sure it sat in the warehouse until that last day. The USPS, on the other hand, delivers everything the day they get it, regardless how many days I paid for. I'll often select the slower shipping rate, knowing it's probably going to be here in two days anyway.

Back
Top Bottom