Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-05-2018, 01:09 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Hmmm. As I understand it the registered non - voters are the largest bloc.

Soo should we fire all elected officials and install - 'none of the above?'

heh heh heh -

Remember I'm from SW Washington where the PUD had 'management day' once a year where we let 'them' climb poles and do actual 'work'.

Voted early and leaving I saw a vehicle with a bumper sticker. 'Humpty Dumpty was pushed.'
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-05-2018, 01:20 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

I'd pay $20 to be able to vote for "None of the Above" and have it count in the tally.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 01:30 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
Never really thought of it until this ^

I see a lot of people who shouldn't be allowed to own dogs, let alone help determine the state of the union.

No clue whatsoever. Met a guy once who lived in our town for 30 years and had no idea who the mayor was, and worse yet, wasn't interested in knowing.
Yeah, there are lots of uninformed, uninterested citizens for sure. But if they all were compelled to vote, the group of uninformed, uninterested citizens that certain political groups get out to vote would be diluted and have less impact.

Here in Chicagoland, it's rumored that folks rounded up from underneath bridges, gin-mills and shelters, plus absentee ballots brought into nursing homes where "voting help" is provided to the residents, amount to a significant percentage of the total votes during low turnout elections.

And we haven't even gotten into folks voting from the grave or living at non-existent addressses!
Old 11-05-2018, 01:46 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

I have read that in some Communist countries, they handed out food ration coupons at the poll. Is there any more powerful incentive for voting?

And it did not matter that there was only one candidate to vote for. The government wanted to be able to say with a straight face that the supreme leader was elected by 99.8% of the people.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 01:49 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I have read that in some Communist countries, they handed out food ration coupons at the poll. Is there any more powerful incentive for voting?

And it did not matter that there was only one candidate to vote for. The government wanted to be able to say with a straight face that the supreme leader was elected by 99.8% of the people.
Yes, and no secret ballot.

After all comrade, why would you want to hide your devotion to the state?
copyright1997reloaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 01:52 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Vote, and vote proudly.

I wonder what happened to the 0.2%. Shipped off to the gulag before they could vote?

They did not want it to be 100% anyway. If it were, Western countries might question the validity of the poll.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 02:01 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbooth View Post
Under your US electoral system I can fully understand that, there is no incentive for the populace to be edumacated and therefore there is an inbuilt complacency/meh factor.

But under our upside-down system, where there is a nominal monetary penalty involved, it actually forces our voters to think about things a little more. Sure we have our rednecks [we call them bogans] but nevertheless I'd suggest our system leads to a more considered and balanced voting public.

We have our left/right, Dem/GOP divisions, with rusted-on voting lifers, but I also believe we have a much bigger 'swinging-vote' component that considers the policies in play at election time and makes a considered response. We have a lot of cross-party to-and-fro, but it generally leads to 'compromises' to a greater extent than the US cross-aisle 'negotiations', at least from my observations.

We have different electoral systems, not saying one is superior to the other

You confuse our Presidential election with all others...

Only the President has the electorial collage... all other candidates have regular voting with either highest winning or over 50% winning... IOW, popular voting...
Texas Proud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 02:04 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
THIS is scary. Really.

[Edit] A few minutes later I realized that in this Facebook age, I suspect many folks not only tell the world that they voted, but who they voted for and how much they donated to whom and why, along with photos of them in the voting booth, what time they were there and who the met while walking to the polls.... and so on.

It is public record if you voted or not... do not have to look at facebook...
Texas Proud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 02:13 PM   #29

Quote:

Should've handed out vodka coupons, would have been 100%

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 02:24 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

[Edit] A few minutes later I realized that in this Facebook age, I suspect many folks not only tell the world that they voted, but who they voted for and how much they donated to whom and why, along with photos of them in the voting booth, what time they were there and who the met while walking to the polls.... and so on.
There's a good reason that voting systems do not provide the voter with a paper copy of the ballot they have cast, and that many jurisdictions specifically prohibit voters from photographing their ballot. Both steps are intended to reduce the likelihood of direct payments to voters after-the-fact for casting their ballot a particular way.

I think this prohibition on photographing ballots is a good policy.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 02:28 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
It is public record if you voted or not... do not have to look at facebook...
I know. I was reacting to getting something unsolicited in the mailbox about who among my neighbors voted and did not.

Knowing some of my neighbors I think it best for the state/country not to try to shame them into voting.
Old 11-05-2018, 03:47 PM   #32
Administrator

Back in the day in Venezuela, after voting a person’s pinky finger was dyed with dark blue ink. It didn’t wash off and lasted a few days. That led to a lot of peer pressure. They also tried a system where, instead of a fine, people who didn’t vote weren’t allowed to carry out any business that needed any kind of contract or notary for one or two years. They couldn’t get a passport or leave the country.

Punitive measures are easier to get around, peer pressure can be the harshest punishment of all.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 04:09 PM   #33

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by copyright1997reloaded View Post
Yes, and no secret ballot.

After all comrade, why would you want to hide your devotion to the state?
I think it was Joseph Stalin who said something to the effect that it doesn't matter who is running, what matters is who is counting the votes. In fact, that quote is the first thing I thought of when accusations of Russian influence on the last election starting swirling about.
HadEnuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 04:15 PM   #34

Quote:
I would hate to have forced voting...

I would suggest that the vast majority of people who do not vote no nothing about the candidates or whatever else is being voted...

Now, one thing that I would love to have is that no small gvmt entity can give notice and have their own election whenever they want... that happens here all the time and it creates new taxing districts with maybe 2% of the people voting...

One that got through here was an emergency district... the called for an election... someone who knew what was going on got the word out that there was a tax grab... it was voted down by a wide margin.... SOOOO, what does a good politician do Well, call another election of course... and do the absolute minimum notice required and get it passed...

BTW, we cannot undo these things... just have to live with paying more taxes to more entities...
Yes. But, the more important question is “Can they spell?”
Huston55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 05:30 PM   #35

What happens? They make them watch 72 hours of Paul Hogan movies in a row.
jim584672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 07:59 PM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
You confuse our Presidential election with all others...

Only the President has the electorial collage... all other candidates have regular voting with either highest winning or over 50% winning... IOW, popular voting...
I'm not at all confused. Although not deeply embedded in the whole US political/electoral system [our own is convoluted enough], I believe I have a reasonable understanding of the presidential/federal/state [reps and senate]/gubernatorial/local municipal voting systems and nothing in my response would suggest any confusion.

The question of compulsory vs discretionary voting was the issue under discussion If you want to complicate the matter, here [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electo..._of_Australia] is an explanation of the Aussie preferential voting system
mbooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 08:13 PM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim584672 View Post
What happens? They make them watch 72 hours of Paul Hogan movies in a row.
I'm pretty sure Paul Hogan did nowhere near 72 hours worth of movies [Thankfully ]
mbooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 08:25 PM   #38
gone traveling

Do you have to be sober? Can you be high?
gerntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 08:41 PM   #39

It struck me the other day that in most democracies they seem to go to great lengths and spend money to get everyone to vote whereas in the US they seem to do the exact opposite. Probably a completely mistaken impression.
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 12:39 AM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

Australia has had compulsory voting for 100 years.

It is a civic obligation as a resident citizen to vote in elections, the same as it is an obligation to pay tax.

It does mean Australia has a broad range of political views reflected in the federal and state parliaments.

I think compulsory voting is an important part of democracy, rather than having a voluntary voting system where people complain about politicians and government but do nothing about changing it.

Interestingly, in 2017, Australia had a voluntary plebiscite on gay marriage and despite it being voluntary, 80% of Australians voted.
Aus_E_Expat is offline   Reply With Quote