Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-14-2022, 09:06 AM   #261
Full time employment: Posting here.

I read Hidden Depths, the 3rd book in Ann Cleeves' Vera series. I had read several other Vera novels and watched many of the TV adaptations, but not this one. Though it was the 3rd Vera book, it was the basis for the 1st Vera TV adaptation. The book was good and after I finished it, I watched the TV adaptation on BritBox. Somewhat surprisingly, the TV adaptation was even better than the novel. The screenwriter added a few details which resulted in the plot being somewhat more credible.

I had never read anything by Nicholas Sparks before. I checked out his recent novel, The Wish, from the library. Although I enjoyed the book, the writing seemed more like what I'd expect in a young adult novel than in an adult novel.
anethum is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2022, 09:25 AM   #262

I'm reading Dragon Reborn, the third book in the Wheel of Time series. Parts of the first book are in an Amazon Prime tv. These are long books but pretty darn good if you are a fan of the genre.
Trailwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 06:23 PM   #263
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We pre-ordered Jack Carr's 5th James Reece book. Release date is May 17th. Can't wait!
Toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 01:44 PM   #264

"Premonition" by Michael Lewis. Deals with the fact that there were people that had studied pandemics and what our pandemic response should be a decade before Covid hit us. Interestingly George W. Bush was the catalyst for getting a plan put together. The author states that having 911 and Hurricane Katrina happen on his watch he was going to make darn sure he was ready if there was a pandemic.

I expected the book to be a screed against the Trump administration but most bullets were aimed at the CDC and their propensity to want to study something to death and then write papers about it instead of taking action. In fact, the CDC was seen as a roadblock to stopping the pandemic, for various reasons.

One thing about the book that was a bit over the top was the hero worship of this cadre of infectious disease scientists that were at odds with the CDC. In particular, Lewis heaps praise on Charity Dean, originally a Santa Barbara county health official, then the assistant director of the California state Department of Health, basically anointing her with sainthood. I've just finished the book and I can't name what she actually DID to fight Covid aside from organizing this group of scientists, keeping a notebook, and attending meetings related to California's response to Covid.

Age is a very high price to pay for maturity.
Qs Laptop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 01:37 PM   #265

"Born to Run" Audiobook narrated by Bruce Springsteen. It felt like he was talking to me haha! What an amazing life, honest about his serious depression and early years. His success unfolded over many years of playing dive bars and small venues. I could not stop listening and I'm not his biggest fan.

He took notes throughout his life. His memories written down have an accurate account of his childhood, his father's abuse, and his love. Captivating! Not a typical rock star, that's for sure.

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Rianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 05:44 PM   #266

Detective in the Dooryard: Reflections of a Maine Cop by Timothy Cotton

The author has been in law enforcement for 30+ years in Maine. The book describes the people, places, and things of Maine that he has encountered over those years.

Some of the stories are funny; some are bittersweet; some will leave you scratching your head at the antics people can get up to!

The book is full of very wry Maine humor; having lived in Maine for two years a long time ago it brought back memories of the very fine people I met there. If it weren't for the fact that I can't abide cold weather I might have stayed there!

Maine (like everywhere else) has its own share of "characters" and the book does a great job of capturing their stories.

I have his second book Got Warrants?: Dispatches from the Dooryard on my nightstand now.
Old 05-25-2022, 06:40 PM   #267
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Really enjoyed this one: Michael Connelley's Dark Hours. Link: https://smile.amazon.com/Dark-Hours-...3525473&sr=8-1

Quote:
Again and again, Michael Connelly amazes with his penetrating look inside the machinery of the LAPD, all while keeping the human hearts inside the machine front and center. The Dark Hours is another perfect example, as night-shift detective Renee Ballard catches a case on New Year’s Eve that is linked to a case worked by Harry Bosch years ago Meanwhile, she also works on catching a vicious pair of rapists, known as the Midnight Men. Ballard’s job, already made difficult by the pandemic, policing in a post-George Floyd world, and the usual mix of office politics and protocols that tie one hand behind her back, becomes an adrenaline-fueled hunt for the criminals. Ballard and Bosch show the painstaking police work that goes into the “lucky” breaks that crack cases in this dynamite series. —Vannessa Cronin, Amazon Editor
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 08:53 PM   #268
Give me a forum ...

I just finished "Don't Say a Word," by Andrew Klavan. The 1991 book was the basis for a 2001 movie of the same name, starting Michael Douglas. In the movie, Douglas stars as a shrink (Dr. Nate Conrad) whose daughter was kidnapped by a man trying to recover some jewels he and some men stole in a robbery years earlier. The kidnapper needs Dr. Conrad to get a burial plot number from the institutionalized, teenaged daughter of one of the other robbers. Dr. Conrad gets the number, kills the kidnapper, and gets his daughter back.

The book is much different from the movie. While the basic framework is similar, the book goes in several different directions and I found it difficult to follow. The movie greatly simplified the book's often confusing subplots.

Unless you are very curious, as I was, about how the book differed from the movie, I suggest you avoid the book.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 09:44 PM   #269

The latest movie inspired me to read (listen to) the Dune series.
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 08:53 PM   #270
Recycles dryer sheets

"Moonshot: Inside Pfizer's Nine-Month Race to Make the Impossible Possible" by Albert Bourla (Chairman & CEO of Pfizer). I finished the book feeling profoundly grateful.

Currently working on "The Return of the King."
scfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 10:02 PM   #271

The Narrowboat Summer by Anne Youngson.

This is the second novel by the author; she wrote her debut novel three years ago at the age of 70!

The Narrowboat Summer is a meandering story of friendship and second chances, which takes place on a narrowboat navigating the canals of England.

If you are looking for a fast-paced story with a lot of "action" this is not for you!

If you are looking for a charming story with characters who are pondering what really matters in life, and figuring out how to break out of their comfort zones in order to achieve their goals, you might enjoy this.
Old 06-25-2022, 03:29 AM   #272

Just finished Someone Else's Skin by Sarah Hilary.

It is her debut novel; first in a series of six (so far) about DI Marnie Rome.

https://www.amazon.com/Someone-Elses...s%2C120&sr=8-1

It was very different from my usual fare of "cozy" mysteries; much darker and edgier than I am used to. I'm very glad I took a chance on it; I am now going to read the other five books in the series.
Old 06-25-2022, 08:48 AM   #273
Give me a forum ...

The Paradox Hotel Wealthy travelers stay at the hotel before they are whisked back in time to view various historic events such as the Gettysburgh Address, the building of the pyramids, etc. Unfortunately, odd things (like baby dinosaurs appearing in the hotel lobby and a mis-timed sunset) indicate that the time stream may be having problems.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 09:17 AM   #274

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
The Paradox Hotel Wealthy travelers stay at the hotel before they are whisked back in time to view various historic events such as the Gettysburgh Address, the building of the pyramids, etc. Unfortunately, odd things (like baby dinosaurs appearing in the hotel lobby and a mis-timed sunset) indicate that the time stream may be having problems.
Yup, just finished this last week. Fast moving plot that kept my interest. The main character was a rough around the edges smartass female who was the director of hotel security. The author did a lousy job with this character as I continually had to remind myself it was a woman. At no point was she convincing to me in the role. Still, I recommend the book.

Age is a very high price to pay for maturity.
Qs Laptop is offline   Reply With Quote
What have you read recently?
Old 07-01-2022, 08:12 PM   #275

Just finished “The Righteous Mind” by Jonathan Haidt. Along the lines of Thinking Fast and Slow. the author presents many neuroscience investigations that provide insight and support for the core events and tenants that drive human priorities. It’s well documented with the academic sources but approachable for a layman. I’ll let you decide if his conclusions about how and why these 6 core features of the mind drive various actions and how they explain the current state of society (especially in the U.S.) ring true. They do for me.

I do recommend it.
Old 07-02-2022, 03:42 AM   #276
Recycles dryer sheets

I like history…..just finished these:
The Daughters of Yalta: the Roosevelts, Churchills and Harrimans: A Story of Love and War
The Trials of Harry S Truman:The Extraordinary Presidency of an Ordinary Man, 1945-1953

Both were good if you like reading about that era.

I’ve just started Still Alright: A Memoir by Kenny Loggins. He’s been a favorite of mine for years. Very jealous of friends going to see Loggins and Messina in about a week…….they seldom play together anymore. I’d go but already committed to another event.
PandaBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 10:07 AM   #277

I thought that On the Plain of Snakes: A Mexican Journey by Paul Theroux was excellent. He criss-crossed the US-Mexican border from the Pacific to the Gulf of Mexico, then continued south toward Mexico City, Oaxaca state, & Chiapas state. His travels were in 2018 and the book was published in 2019. I've spent a fair bit of time in Mexico City, Oaxaca, & Chiapas, and found his observations and experiences fascinating and informative.

Love in the Time of Bertie by Alexander McCall Smith is his latest in his wonderful 44 Scotland Street series. I love this series.

Eight Weeks in Paris by S.R. Lane is a fun but slight romance novel which takes place on the set of a movie being shot in Paris.
anethum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 11:06 AM   #278
Give me a forum ...

I just finished and enjoyed Boys in the Boat by Daniel James Brown, about the University of Washington crew team competing in the Olympics in Nazi Germany.
harllee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 01:42 PM   #279
Give me a forum ...

1) Nonfiction book: The Sociopath Next Door
https://smile.amazon.com/The-Sociopa...s%2C186&sr=1-1

A sociopath as defined in this book is someone who has no conscience. This is manifest in various abnormal behavior patterns which the book discusses in lay terms. Apparently there are 4 percent of individuals in our society who are sociopaths. I thought it was a good treatment of the subject but I'm not up on the latest in the psych field.

2) Fiction book: 4th book in a series Rupture
https://smile.amazon.com/Rupture-Tho...s%2C151&sr=8-1

This takes place in Iceland:
Quote:
Young policeman Ari Thór tries to solve a 50-year-old murder when new evidence surfaces. But the case proves difficult in a town where no one wants to know the truth, where secrets are a way of life. He's assisted by Ísrún, a news reporter in Reykjavik who is investigating an increasingly chilling case of her own. Things take a sinister turn when a child goes missing in broad daylight. With a stalker on the loose, and the town in quarantine, the past might just come back to haunt them.
I liked both books.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 04:52 PM   #280
Recycles dryer sheets

I’m reading The Last Kingdom series. I’m on book 11 of 13. It’s historical fiction, but I’ve still learned a lot about the history of the Danes attempt to conquer what is now England. My wife is happy that I’ve finally started reading.
djsander is offline   Reply With Quote