What have you read recently? 2009 -2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm reading Simon Montefiore's Jerusalem. It is a magnificent history of the city and, by extension, much of the Middle East. It has helped me put the whole Middle East mess in some perspective.

I'm confused as to the best order to read these and other Harry Hole books.

Since I pick up books as/when I find them, I'm generally/often out of sequence, but I have read a number of Nesbo books, (plus other Scandinavian/Icelandic novels, translated of course).

Given my druthers I'd prefer to read any author's books in the order they were written, especially ones that feature a recurring protagonist, (since there are often oblique, and not so oblique, references to previous story lines, and one can watch character development as it unfolds)..........so, if you're able to do that, I'd say it's the best method...which doesn't mean the novels can't be read out of order....and thoroughly enjoyed.

Just about done with Hillbilly Elligies. Must admit I was quite disappointed given the hype. Found the first part hard to read (anytime there are multiple anecdotes of different relatives I have a hard time connecting all the familial dots). At the end I get the conclusions about class and education, etc, but haven't really found it that enlightening or enjoyable a read.

Just started Unwanted by Kristina Ohlsson - her first book, (AFAIK), and the first one of hers I've read.

She has the street creds, so we'll see how the book pans out:

Kristina Ohlsson (Author of Unwanted)

Under the Dome...

About 95% different from the TV of the same name, and much, much better than the TV show, IMHO.

Finished "Blue Highways" by William Least Heat Moon. An excellent recommendation by Nodak. I had my atlas handy when reading so I could identify the really small towns. I found it very enjoyable.

The Tipping Point
Alaska Wolf Man
The Millionaire Next Door

The Lords of Discipline. I picked it up from a stack of free paperbacks. Written by Pat Conroy in 1980, (also wrote The Great Santini). Awesome book DW and I both really enjoyed.

The Lords of Discipline. I picked it up from a stack of free paperbacks. Written by Pat Conroy in 1980, (also wrote The Great Santini). Awesome book DW and I both really enjoyed.

Great book.

I worked with one of Conroy's classmates from the Citadel.

Just began "Valiant Ambition" by Nathaniel Philbrick. It's a book about Benedict Arnold and what led to his treason during the American Revolution.

I finished Tana French's newest book, The Tresspasser. link: https://smile.amazon.com/Trespasser...082808&sr=1-1&keywords=trespasser+tana+french

It is written in the first person from the standpoint of the young Murder Squad detective in Dublin, Antoinette Conway. Lots of Irish street slang. Makes you feel like you are right in there with the detectives.

A bit of a slow starter as the first half felt slow to me. But I hung in there and felt it was maybe a 4.5 star book. I read really slowly and put the book down a lot so maybe I'm not your typical page turning reader. I've read all of Tana French's books.

Detectives Steve Moran and Antoinette Conway are now partners on the Murder Squad. They’ve been handed a case that at first looks like every other low-energy domestic they’ve ever been given--but during a routine interview, the murdered woman’s friend drops a clue that leads them to suspect this could be bigger than they had imagined. Much bigger. Contentious squad room politics add to their frustration as the detectives are led in conflicting directions by red herrings, dead ends, and warped perceptions. The Trespasser kept me happily discombobulated, guessing at an ending that I didn’t see coming. And that is what makes Tana French one of the best thriller writers out there. --Seira Wilson, The Amazon Book Review

David Mccullough's The Greater Journey, about Americans in Paris in the 19th century. Gosh he's a good writer!

I finished Tana French's newest book, The Tresspasser. link: https://smile.amazon.com/Trespasser...082808&sr=1-1&keywords=trespasser+tana+french

It is written in the first person from the standpoint of the young Murder Squad detective in Dublin, Antoinette Conway. Lots of Irish street slang. Makes you feel like you are right in there with the detectives.

A bit of a slow starter as the first half felt slow to me. But I hung in there and felt it was maybe a 4.5 star book. I read really slowly and put the book down a lot so maybe I'm not your typical page turning reader. I've read all of Tana French's books.

I was disappointed in a couple of things in Secret Place, the previous Tana French book, because she is usually just soooo good imo, but am looking forward to this new book. I saw it at the library last week but have a bunch of books stockpiled already.

I was disappointed in a couple of things in Secret Place, the previous Tana French book, because she is usually just soooo good imo, but am looking forward to this new book. I saw it at the library last week but have a bunch of books stockpiled already.
Yep, I noticed the reviews on Amazon were lower for that one. I only read 1/2 of the Secret Place. Could not get into the teenage girl stuff.

I am reading "the Dorito Effect- The surprising new truth about food and Flavor" I'm not done with it yet, but so far its very interesting. I read something about it in a post on this site.

My 12 year old son's comment was pretty funny- "Noooo, not another book on nutrition! Mom, I love Doritos, please don't read that!"

David Mccullough's The Greater Journey, about Americans in Paris in the 19th century. Gosh he's a good writer!

Just finished "America 1900" by Judy Crichton. If you liked "The Greater Journey" you will also like this one which is written in a similar style. Judy Crichton was a director of the American Experience. The book reviews the year 1900 month by month by focusing on interesting events that occurred each month and then tying them together. Also provides a nice portrait of William McKinley which led me to "The Triumph of William McKinley" by Karl Rove. Yes that Karl Rove.

The oldest American mystery is what happened to the lost colony of Roanoke. I thoroughly enjoyed this account that treats it as a detective story. An enormous amount of research went into it and the author is extremely well qualified to look at the Native American side. Some reviewers objected to the author's unusual style, but I found it quite enjoyable.

Roanoke: Solving the Mystery of the Lost Colony
In November of 1587, a report reached London claiming Sir Walter Raleigh's expedition to land English settlers in America had foundered. The colony on Roanoke Island off of the coast of North Carolina-115 men, women, and children-had disappeared without a trace. For four hundred years, the question of what became of the doomed settlers has remained unanswered.

Just starting theChinese writer Cixin Liu sci-fi series, The Three-BodyProblem.

Just finished "All the Light We Cannot See" by Anthony Doerr. The story of a blind French girl and a German boy and how their paths cross during WWII. I highly recommend.

The Quantum World; Quantum Physics for Everyone.
If you have ever wondered what the science of quantum physics is about, but thought the educational background to get 'up-to-speed' so to speak was lacking or too daunting to tackle, then this book is for you.

I'm a sci-fi geek. I love anything science fiction. I've been in awe of how the authors of books, and creators of movies and TV shows have been so accurate in foretelling the future of scientific ideas into practical application. Reading this book now, for the the 3rd time, not because it's difficult to comprehend but because in this ever changing world, there's more to realize and apply, I am constantly amazed at the obvious intelligent design of the natural universe.

For a change of pace I just started Murphy's Law by Colin Bateman (who use to publish simply as Bateman).

I've read a number of his cynically funny books and enjoyed them.

Colin Bateman (Author of Mystery Man)

(Apparently they made a TV series based on the book, which I hadn't heard of, but which I just added to our library wish list.)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom