Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 05:37 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Just talking about books we liked in common with my son and a couple of recommendations came up:

Enduring Love, Ian McEwen (author of Atonement). An engrossing psychological thriller, Great read. Lots of science, psychology, philosophy.

Wasp Factory, Ian Banks. The most twisted novel I have ever read. You will love it or hate it.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-30-2009, 09:27 AM   #62
Give me a forum ...

Read The Sunday Philosophy Club by Alexander McCall Smith, a short read (245 pages) as most of his books are. This is the first in a series and takes place in Edinburgh, Scotland. The author is actually a professor at the university there so he knows the city. We had visited the city some years ago so it was interesting to read an insiders view. I liked it a lot although it got only 3 stars at Amazon. The other books in the series get more stars if that's any consolation.

Also am sampling Larry Swedroe's Alternative Investments. He has sections on The Good, The Flawed, The Bad, and the Ugly. Very good discussion on TIPS, for instance, in The Good section. You can also read the author's views and ask him questions over at the Boglehead's site.
Old 03-30-2009, 11:48 AM   #63
Give me a forum ...

Just Finished "Watchmen" a graphic novel (i.e. comic book) with a cult following. It won the Hugo back in 1987 or so. DD bought if for me for Christmas before we heard the movie was coming out. I liked it. Has anyone seen the movie?
Old 04-20-2009, 05:23 PM   #64
Gone but not forgotten

Just finished Harlan Coben's new book "Long Lost " . It was a read in one day type book because you can not put it down .
Old 04-20-2009, 06:31 PM   #65
Give me a forum ...

Financially Ever After by WSJ columnist Jeff Opdyke. This one would make a great wedding gift for those young folks we all know. I thought it was up to his usual good standards.

Old 04-21-2009, 11:11 AM   #66
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

"Cryptomonicom" by Neal Stephenson and now reading his "Quicksilver." These books are 1000 page monsters!

Also reading some essays by James Stockdale - awesome man.

"Free to Choose" by Milton Friedman.

Ripped through some Rex Stout books with Nero Wolfe - also read as much of Tony Hillerman as possible this year.
Old 04-21-2009, 12:44 PM   #67
Give me a forum ...

JPod, by Douglas Coupland (Microserfs), was a fun read. After that I read King of Sting which is an interesting look at a guy who made a living, and earned a jail, sentence ripping off dope dealers.
Old 04-21-2009, 01:24 PM   #68
Give me a forum ...

Read The Spies of Warsaw by Alan Furst. About a French intelligence officier stationed in Warsaw and running operations targeting the Germans during the years 1937-38. I think Furst gives us a good historical sense of the intelligence conflicts that led up to WW2, particularly if you read his earlier works as well like Blood of Victory. Furst's heros always seem to get the girl too.
Old 04-24-2009, 06:41 PM   #69
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
The Mission, The Men, and Me By Pete Blaber (ex Delta Force CO)

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
Old 04-24-2009, 08:11 PM   #70
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbcal View Post
Read The Spies of Warsaw by Alan Furst. About a French intelligence officier stationed in Warsaw and running operations targeting the Germans during the years 1937-38. I think Furst gives us a good historical sense of the intelligence conflicts that led up to WW2, particularly if you read his earlier works as well like Blood of Victory. Furst's heros always seem to get the girl too.
I have read most of his books and i really like them. Sometimes I get a little confused by the way that he moves around in time and space, but it is worth the trouble to get it straight.

His books set me on a lot on non-fiction reading from and about that period too.

Ha
Old 04-24-2009, 10:01 PM   #71
Moderator Emeritus

For you Jim Butcher fans, his next Harry Dresden book "Turn Coat" is out.

But before you claw your way to the front of the line, track down a less-popular four-story novella anthology called "Mean Streets". He's the first author and the other three are "OK" by comparison. But Butcher's short story picks up a year after the last book left off and gives you a nice look at the rest of the story-- with, eventually, a happy ending.

I'm still #16 in the library queue for "Turn Coat". It's almost turned me into a Kindler...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Old 04-28-2009, 06:48 PM   #72
Give me a forum ...

Read Friends, Lovers, Chocolate by Alexander McCall Smith. The second in the Sunday Philosophy Club series. This book is really delightful, humerous, and I found it surprisingly engaging. Takes place in Edinburgh, Scotland. Isabel meets a man who has received a heart transplant and he has had some recurring visions.
Old 05-04-2009, 12:57 PM   #73
Give me a forum ...

Just finished Dr. David Kessler's End of Overeating:Taking Control of the Insatiable American Appetite. I read a review of it in the Wall Street Journal the day it came out and was quite impressed with the sound of it. WSJ Article here

I read the first 70 pages at the bookstore and decided it was worth ponying up the $25 for it. I have to say I'm pretty impressed. It does read like a textbook, but his research is excellent and his conclusions do make a lot of sense.

He takes up some of Michael Pollan's points made in Omnivore's Dilemma, which I liked. A particularly interesting observation was that much of the prepared food we now eat has been practically "pre-digested" and pumped up with water to make it easier to swallow and digest. This naturally makes it possible to eat even more food than when we had to chew diligently to get it down. He used apples and applesauce as one example.

The final part of the book addresses a real problem that I know I have--why are some foods so hard to put down, and how can you retrain your brain to not do the same cue-response that it has always done when faced with foods of your obsession?

His descriptions of the foods sold at chain restaurants like Chili's was disturbing--there is a certain gross factor of knowing how they manipulate ingredients so, for instance, the tortilla wrap soaks up more grease, making the fat-salt-fat layering more effective. He describes the three main ingredients in foods that he calls highly palatable as those containing fat, salt and sugar. If a food is able to incorporate all three, then it will surely be a home run in the grocery store.

Reading it made me very conscious of food cues and how I react to what is on my plate or in my refrigerator. He makes a good parallel between big food and big tobacco. Particularly legitimate was his observation that gov't regulations aren't the answer to our increasing obesity as a nation, but a change in public opinion and what is considered acceptable food--not unlike when smoking became socially unacceptable. Interesting from a former FDA official.

Old 05-04-2009, 05:27 PM   #74

I'm struggling with "When Market's Collide" by Mohamed El-Erian. This thread has motivated me to go to the library and get a good, senseless murder mystery.
Old 05-04-2009, 05:36 PM   #75
Give me a forum ...

walkinwood, may I suggest Ted Bell? He writes wonderful adventure novels!

Old 05-04-2009, 07:02 PM   #76

Highlights For Children. Dont'cha love Hidden Pictures?!
Old 05-05-2009, 02:47 AM   #77
Full time employment: Posting here.

Other than the morning paper i stick to Sci-Fi and recently have discovered a new to me author Dan Simmons After reading Illium i was hooked so i bought the sequel Olympos which was equally amazing, then bought all 4 books of his Hyperion collection,also riviting.
Old 05-05-2009, 06:58 AM   #78

Lois McMaster Bujold, The Hallowed Hunt. Fantasy novel, maybe not quite as good as the previous two in the series (which were fantastic), but this one is still very good.
Old 05-05-2009, 08:08 AM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
For you Jim Butcher fans, his next Harry Dresden book "Turn Coat" is out.

But before you claw your way to the front of the line, track down a less-popular four-story novella anthology called "Mean Streets". He's the first author and the other three are "OK" by comparison. But Butcher's short story picks up a year after the last book left off and gives you a nice look at the rest of the story-- with, eventually, a happy ending.

I'm still #16 in the library queue for "Turn Coat". It's almost turned me into a Kindler...

Ohhh thanks for the heads up! Seems like it has been forever since the last one.
Old 05-05-2009, 11:17 AM   #80

I am reading Carolyn Myss, "Sacred Contracts" and "Book Yourself Solid" by Michael Port.
Closed Thread