Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 07:19 AM   #101
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Dystopian? Ears perk up! Tell me more--love a great dystopian society read.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2009, 07:57 AM   #102
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Dystopian? Ears perk up! Tell me more--love a great dystopian society read.
It's actually kind of a love story - about a man's love for his ill son in a desperate, burned out, post apocalyptic world. He is taking his son down "the road" in an attempt to enable him to survive and possibly find salvation. Very disturbing and hopeful at the same time. I couldn't put it down and it stayed with me.
Old 05-08-2009, 09:15 AM   #103
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
Is this science or psuedoscience? I have read a few books on quantum physics and cosmology lately and like them. But this one has a new-agey subtitle that makes me suspicious.
It is science, the author is a physicist. But maybe the psuedoeysciency title will get some of those who tend towards gullibility to read it. It would be good for them.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Old 05-08-2009, 09:27 AM   #104
Recycles dryer sheets

I have just finished reading a series of books by Karin Slaughter. The first one is "Blindsighted". The main characters, who are in the whole series, are a female pediatrician who also doubles as small town coroner, the police chief, and his female detective. They have extremely graphic violence, much directed toward women, but in spite of that, or maybe because of it and the way it allows us to understand the characters, are some of the best books I have ever read. You don't have to read them in order, but I would suggest that you do. They are set in a small town in South Georgia, and are quite true to that setting in their tone.

I am now in the middle of the J.D. Robb "....... in Death" series, starting with "Naked in Death". Again, the main character is a female police detective. They are set in the future (2050s) and although I don't usually like sci fi, these are very clever and the fantasy aspects don't detract at all from the stories.

Obviously, I'm reading strictly for fluff at the current time.
Old 05-08-2009, 10:31 AM   #105
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
It's actually kind of a love story - about a man's love for his ill son in a desperate, burned out, post apocalyptic world. He is taking his son down "the road" in an attempt to enable him to survive and possibly find salvation. Very disturbing and hopeful at the same time. I couldn't put it down and it stayed with me.
Interesting. I will have to check that out. Thanks very much.

I did read a review of a cool-sounding new book by a New Zealand author (Bernard Beckett) called Genesis. It sounds quite interesting for those among us who can appreciate a good dystopian story. I read the review in the WSJ, but here's more from Amazon Amazon.com: Genesis: Bernard Beckett: Books

Old 05-13-2009, 05:28 PM   #106
Gone but not forgotten

Just started "The trillion dollar meltdown ,easy money and the great credit crash " by Charles R. Morris . I thought it was time to step away from my usual fiction but I also got Jonathan Kellerman's "Bones " for the beach and a back up Michael Connelly book . This is go to the beach or lay out by the pool with a book weather.
Old 05-19-2009, 05:59 PM   #107
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free To Canoe View Post
I am reading Genetics for Dummies (curious about it) and Steel Phoenix by Chris Hall. ...
Got curious too and checked Genetics for Dummies out of the library. It looks like something I really want to read through slooo..wly and carefully. Although I have an advanced technology oriented degree, somehow squeaked through schooling without even a biology course.

Read Kissed a Sad Goodbye by Deborah Crombie. The female head of a tea company is killed in London. Flashbacks to the WW2 past of some primary characters. Well written and engaging mystery.
Recent reading
Old 05-22-2009, 04:26 PM   #108
Dryer sheet aficionado

Recent reading

Summer reading? Everything that I can get from my local library by PG Wodehouse, particularly if it includes Bertie and Jeeves. Funny stuff. Wish I had paid more attention to this fellow earlier in life.
Old 05-23-2009, 09:24 AM   #109
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester_A._Riley View Post
Summer reading? Everything that I can get from my local library by PG Wodehouse, particularly if it includes Bertie and Jeeves. Funny stuff. Wish I had paid more attention to this fellow earlier in life.
See if you can catch some reruns of Jeeves & Wooster, with Stephen Fry and Hugh Laurie (aka House).

BFI Screenonline: Jeeves and Wooster (1990-93)
Old 05-23-2009, 10:47 AM   #110
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I´m listening to "Kane and Abel" by J. Archer and reading "The dogs of Riga" by H. Mankell. Passable both.
Old 05-23-2009, 04:56 PM   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy View Post
The Slurry Handbook.
The Rheology Handbook.
Slurry Transport Using Centrifugal Pumps.
(Really! I read them for fun.)
The People's Guide to Mexico.
Sounds like pretty viscous stuff. Chemist or ChE stuff?

Free to canoe
Old 05-23-2009, 05:00 PM   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by boont View Post
"Before the Dawn: Recovering the Lost History of Our Ancestors" by Nicholas Wade

Masterfully answers many questions about human origins. Makes a good stab at answering the three most important questions of mankind...

Who are we?
Where did we come from?
Why are we here?

It "does a great job of synthesizing the discoveries of paleoanthropolgists with the findings of geneticists--in some cases, examination of human DNA has confirmed what paleoanthropolgists have long believed, in others it has raised new and sometimes disturbing questions."

This topic is my favorite subject and I'm on the board of an institute that studies just this topic. Exciting read.
Sounds interesting. Thanks for your input. Good to have a good reference on a topic. Like this thread.

Free to canoe
Old 05-23-2009, 06:05 PM   #113
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
See if you can catch some reruns of Jeeves & Wooster, with Stephen Fry and Hugh Laurie (aka House).

BFI Screenonline: Jeeves and Wooster (1990-93)
Thanks! I also enjoy "Jeeves & Wooster" on YouTube. Very funny.
Old 05-26-2009, 02:55 AM   #114
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm in the middle of 'Relic" by Preston&Child. Think I'll be their fan. Good that I bought along another one at my last trip at B&N already betting on it. Please, don't tell me the ending.
Old 05-26-2009, 05:06 AM   #115
Give me a forum ...

Just finished The End of Wall Street as We Know It published by WSJ. Just published a few months ago so it's very current. Good summary of what/how it happened and what to do now - although the latter is weak (no one has definitive answers). I enjoyed it, easy read too.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Old 05-26-2009, 08:39 AM   #116
Give me a forum ...

Currently reading:

"On Humanism" by Richard Norman - so far, good summary of Humanism and it lays out the case very well for a world view based on Humanism. Fairly basic overall. Good introductory text for those not familiar with Humanism, but for those more schooled in theological thought and philosophy, some chapters will be best skimmed instead of read closely.

"Julius Caesar" by William Shakespeare - an oldy but goody. Just started it and it's quite the page turner. The man has a knack for word play.

"Nolo's Patents for Beginners" by David Pressman - just a little light reading. Doing a little professional development you might say.

"The Lucifer Principle: A Scientific Expedition into the Forces of History" by Howard Bloom - A little bit dated, but still a good read. The author summarizes trends throughout history and incorporates interesting anecdotes into an explanation of why things in our society and world work the way they work (from his point of view). Very interesting reading though, but I don't necessarily agree with everything in the book. Bits and pieces were anti-Islamic and he expressed a good deal of fear that Islam will be a continuing enemy of the Western world. Written in 1997, it was very prescient to say the least. Many parts of the narrative sound like they were written in 2009.

Next up to bat:
Fountainhead - Ayn Rand (eventually)

Something recent by Bart D. Ehrman
- professor at UNC Chapel Hill - writes about historicity of bible and biblical criticism. I have not read anything by him, but I saw a clip of him speaking recently and he seemd to be a very interesting speaker.

Malcom Gladwell books - I read Blink and I enjoyed it enough to follow it up with Tipping Point and Outliers.
Old 05-26-2009, 10:28 AM   #117
Give me a forum ...

Just finished reading Dead Silence by Randy Wayne White. A wonderful writer of Florida fiction in the style made famous by my all time favorite novelist John D. MacDonald.

Also reading some old P.J. O'Rourke books. He's hilarious. I love All the Trouble in the World. Back from 1994, it is still quite relevant.

Old 05-29-2009, 11:41 PM   #118
Recycles dryer sheets

Just finished Relic, and started The Wheels of Darkness by the same authors. I recommend Preston & Child.
Old 05-30-2009, 01:13 PM   #119
Give me a forum ...

Just finishing Common Wealth, by Jeffrey Sachs. A very holistic view of sustainable macroeconomics. Thought provoking and somewhat depressing.
Old 05-30-2009, 03:30 PM   #120
Give me a forum ...

I recently finished House by Tracy Kidder. This is the author of The Soul of a New Machine, a Pulitzer winner in the early 80s, and a must-read for EE nerds back then.

I knew of House but never got around to it. I picked up a copy discarded by the library, paying a donation of $1.

Starting La Bella Figura - A Field Guide to the Italian Mind. This one was recently given as a gift.
Closed Thread