What have your learned from E-R.org?

Agree for me it was OMY discussions. I don't like to compare myself to others from a net worth standpoint but this site gave me confidence along with FirCalc to retire

Yes, there are opinions and you're 50/50 on what is helpful to your circumstance. But all mean well.

Wish there were some subjects with a little more meat on the bone but overall this site helped put me over the top to retire.

I learned about Roth conversions after ER and before SS, and FIRECalc!

Gotten some idea of (and some help with) the emotional rollercoaster of the lead-up to retirement.

In my daily life in The Matrix, retirement before 60 - 65 seems self destructive, self indulgent, suicidal, boring and altogether unfathomable.

I have a 70-ish co-worker who still thinks I'm out of my mind to retire at 60. :facepalm:

Shoes will last almost indefinitely when you wear the socks on the outside. :LOL:

After I learned all of the acronyms in the early days :), a few topics have been timely to help me during certain personal situations such as:

1. Title deed for homes to avoid probate and dealing with parents' estates in general
2. Dealing with ROTH IRA excess contributions

Last edited:
I've learned a lot from everyone over the years.

When I first retired I was absolutely shocked at how much lower our tax bill was. While working I had a high W-2 income and other than contribute the max to the 401k and HSA there wasn't anywhere to hide... just pay up dude.... and of course, any LTCG were 15% and the potential for AMT was lurking around the corner (and did bite me one year). Then I retired and since we were living off of savings my tax was ZERO... how can that be! Not only that... my state tax was higher than my federal tax... even after doing Roth conversions to the top of the 15% tax bracket.

I also recall learning a lot as we all struggled together through the first couple years of Obamacare and weighing subsidies or not.

Also, prior to retiring I never had much use for a cash allocation... and learned how a modest cash allocation can bring peace of mind.

Probably much more, but those are things that I can think of off the top of my head.

In my daily life in The Matrix, retirement before 60 - 65 seems self destructive, self indulgent, suicidal, boring and altogether unfathomable. In the ER Forum, a collection of independent, self-directed misfits demonstrates otherwise and they make me want to join their circus and leave town.
Yes this. When I first started thinking about retiring early every person I talked to expressed shock and horror that I would consider such a thing. "But WHY?? What would you DO all day?? You'll be BORED.". Etc, etc.

I appreciate hearing from people who retired early and found plenty of interesting things to do.

Also, prior to retiring I never had much use for a cash allocation... and learned how a modest cash allocation can bring peace of mind.

+1

An investment plan that lets one sleep at night, is usually one that won't panic a person into doing something stupid.

Another thing that I learned is how to use tIRA withdrawal income tax withholdings in lieu of estimated payments.

Not so much "learned", but enjoyed!

Civil Discourse
Respect
Appreciation
A widened viewpoint
A personal opinion outlet

... and, I guess, friends. :greetings10:

Another thing that I learned is how to use tIRA withdrawal income tax withholdings in lieu of estimated payments.

Will use that concept for my parents starting in 2020, since their tax guy misses the boat some years.

Now that tax time is over, I realize I'm learning more from this forum than our accountant. Thinking next year, we'll do the free AARP tax service. I'm getting a handle on how to WD from portfolio in 3 years. I'm learning the right questions to ask VG about basis cost, CG, tIRA basis (mostly bond funds). The jigsaw puzzle of avoiding tax burden is becoming so much clearer, thanks to this forum. We are starting backdoor Roth conversions.

Too many to list, learned a lot when I first started lurking, after many years, still learning but at a slower rate.

What I really appreciate is people are so nice here and so willing to help.

Roth Conversions
Importance of Taxable accounts relative to ER and account distro limits
How to calculate net worth
SORR
and basically anything related to investing I could possibly think of and then some.

It's impossible to know how much the monetary value of the advice I've received here, and patient members who are mostly respectful. Invaluable.

I have a 70-ish co-worker who still thinks I'm out of my mind to retire at 60. :facepalm:

I retired from megaCorp at 58. Unlike the folks here that heard the 'why would you retire so early' type comments, I received a few "quite honestly, I'm surprised you lasted this long!" type comments.

I appreciate having folks that will put a second set of eyes on the numbers, or help explain how some of the numbers work.

Specific item-
The merit in doing ROTH conversions to fill up the lower tax brackets. I would probably have continued to aggressively minimize taxable income.

I, too have learned more than I could list...I’m deeply grateful for the efforts of posters to explain topics and point to additional sources of credible information.

Basically, the information here helped me 1) realize it was possible to ER and 2) explore methodologies and tools to do so.

It’s been nearly three years since I retired and I’ve never been happier in my life. I recommend the site to everyone I meet who expresses an interest in retirement and managing finances before and after.

I just realized, the responses to my posts have made me a better writer and communicator. The critiques and suggestions make me think more carefully. I just sent out an e-mail to a volunteer committee that I may not have been able to do before, respectfully and thought provoking message. I was subliminally thinking about the responses I'd get from the posters here.

1. I've learned a lot about preferred stocks from the thread "Preferred Stock Investing-The Good , The Bad and The In Between". Sunset, Mulligan, Brkrken, Coolius, Texas Proud and all the other posters have helped me understand the risks & rewards - and the reasons behind - this niche area of the markets.

2. "Think before you post". I once posted a reply to a tax question and I was incorrect. Several clear (but respectful) corrections followed. Now I try to verify any advice before I post it!

3. How to set up a "Roth Conversion Horserace". Sadly this isn't available anymore. :(

4. Time > Money

I have learned family comes first. I FIREd last fall, and then became a caregiver for my father until he passed. Best decision I made in my life.

That I could retire relatively early with far less than a million bucks. And still live in comfort.

I have learned and improved my knowledge of tax savings without paying for the services of meeting with a tax professional.

Back
Top Bottom