What is a good way to bookmark a webpage in Win 10

haha

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I am experiencing my usual feeling of being lost when I upgrade an operating system. With Windows 7, I usually just right clicked and put a link to a page either on the desktop or in a relevant folder. With Windows 10 I have not been able to figure out how to do this or otherwise accomplish the function or getting back to a page.

How is it done?

BTW I just got back from the F1 race in Austin. Incredible, but the weather was challenging. It was the first F1 race I have attended, but I hope it will not be the last. Austin is a pleasant town. Years ago I considered moving there, but I decided that I could not handle the heat. This was my first time there since 1973.

Ha

I haven't paid any attention to bookmarks since I rarely use them anymore but I have found MS's new Edge browser to be a bit confusing. Yesterday, I was helping a senior get organized in her newly upgraded Win 10 laptop. I wanted to set her Edge start page to four tabs, including gmail and her bank. Three of the tabs were already there courtesy of the upgrade transfer from Win 7, plus a fourth she didn't want. In all previous browsers I would open a tab for gmail, close the unwanted tab then go to settings and select "use current pages" to reset the start page. In Edge there is no way to do that (that I could see at a quick glance). Instead you have to select custom, manually delete the listed tab you don't want, click on a plus to add a new tab, and type in the url. Why throw a curve like that at a perfectly simple operation?

Last edited:
Which web browser are you using? I use Firefox and creating bookmarks is the same in Windows 10 as it was in Windows 7. Not sure about MS Edge, usually just click the start next to the URL entry to create bookmark/favorite.

I've been to the F1 races in Long Beach a few times, definitely need to bring ear plugs, it gets very loud.

Which web browser are you using? I use Firefox and creating bookmarks is the same in Windows 10 as it was in Windows 7. Not sure about MS Edge, usually just click the start next to the URL entry to create bookmark/favorite.

I've been to the F1 races in Long Beach a few times, definitely need to bring ear plugs, it gets very loud.
I've been using Chrome. Last night I tried Edge, and the bookmarks in it seem pretty easy, but I am not fond of the browser otherwise. I'll look at Firefox.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Re F1 noise, that has really changed. All cars now use heavily turbo'd V-6engines, and they are not nearly as loud as before.

Ha

I just use MSIE as always, since I never really had any complaints with it. So, I bookmark just as I always did.

As for the other browsers you mentioned, I have no clue. I have tried several of them (on my old computer), and was not inspired to use any as my default browser.

I also tried Edge once on my new computer, but did not care for it.

With Windows 7, I usually just right clicked and put a link to a page either on the desktop or in a relevant folder. With Windows 10 I have not been able to figure out how to do this or otherwise accomplish the function or getting back to a page.
Ha,
Using Edge, navigate to a site that you want to bookmark. MS calls it a Favorite. There should be a star icon at the end of url site name at the top of the page. Click it. It gets added to your Favorites.

How to see Favorites? In the upper right portion of the web page is a 3 line menu Icon. Click it. There is your list of Favorites. How to sort into folders - haven't a clue.

IMO Edge is not ready for prime time. Chrome should operate the same as it did on Windows 7, if it isn't then look at Firefox. Much easier to use, and you can import your bookmarks (and how they are organized).

Rita :greetings10:

Ha,
Using Edge, navigate to a site that you want to bookmark. MS calls it a Favorite. There should be a star icon at the end of url site name at the top of the page. Click it. It gets added to your Favorites.

How to see Favorites? In the upper right portion of the web page is a 3 line menu Icon. Click it. There is your list of Favorites. How to sort into folders - haven't a clue.

IMO Edge is not ready for prime time. Chrome should operate the same as it did on Windows 7, if it isn't then look at Firefox. Much easier to use, and you can import your bookmarks (and how they are organized).

Rita :greetings10:

I think haha is looking for a way to save the link to a folder or desktop on his hard drive, rather than as a bookmark/favorite in his browser.

I like to do that sometimes, so the links to the pages are right there with other relevant data in that folder. I'll never find them in my browser.

At least in my version of Chromium, it turns out this is a bit convoluted. Go to the upper right tools indicator, click to open it, navigate down to "More Tools" and then "Add to desktop" and it puts the link there. You can move it to a folder from there if you want.

-ERD50

BTW I just got back from the F1 race in Austin. Incredible, but the weather was challenging. It was the first F1 race I have attended, but I hope it will not be the last.

Being a "Car-Guy", I'm a race fan and F1 racing is probably my favorite type of racing. Unfortunately I only got to watch it on TV last weekend. Great race.

Also, makes me wonder if that race track had any influence on the posting of the highest speed limits (85mph) in the US on parts of nearby highway SH 130.

Austin is a pleasant town. Years ago I considered moving there, but I decided that I could not handle the heat. This was my first time there since 1973.

Pretty massive growth since 73, which I'm sure you must have noticed. Driving down highway 35, it's getting hard to tell where Austin stops and San Antonio starts.

Last edited:
(Oh, no! You 'upgraded' to Win10? :( :nonono: )

We visited Austin and San Antonio this past Feb. We liked both. I could dig living in Austin, even with the traffic and the climate. Lots of music, art, tech, etc. The best of TX, IMHO.

Back
Top Bottom